• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Stupid Pathing Bug

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Hi guys,

I have encountered a stupid pathing bug: when a unit casts a specific spell, I turn it's pathing off and tell it to move to a point. The thing is, after being issued the order, it still moves around obstacles, as if it's pathing was still on. Any ideas on how to fix this?

A diagram for a better explanation:

The green line is the desired path, and the red line is the actual path.

Xsd8T.jpg

Another note: If, once the unit's pathing is off, I manually right-click many times in the trees, the unit moves through them.
Thanks,

Mr_Bean

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

I'm not sure but maybe the pathing is turning back on when you order it to move, or turning off pathing simply doesn't work.

Level 11
AFAIK you can't fix this (simply). WC3's movement/pathfinding is just bad like that. DotA hasn't managed to fix it with Spectre's shadow trail in 5 years or however long the ability has existed.

Level 4
Check whenever the unit is order to some point, making him become a projectile with trigger and shoot him to that point. If he order to do something else, stop his current shooting.
It just be a basic dynamic system.

Level 17
AFAIK you can't fix this (simply). WC3's movement/pathfinding is just bad like that. DotA hasn't managed to fix it with Spectre's shadow trail in 5 years or however long the ability has existed.

Haha, I have noticed this. It is quite irritating! :wink:

Check whenever the unit is order to some point, making him become a projectile with trigger and shoot him to that point. If he order to do something else, stop his current shooting.
It just be a basic dynamic system.

I was thinking of this as a solution. Is this how Spirit Breaker's Charge of Darkness (DotA) works?

Thanks guys.

This is a classic problem with wc3.
even if you turn collision off too a ground unit, even though it can go over/through cliffs it still wants to go around them.
The only solution I can think off at the moment is if you replace the unit with a replica of itself but instead with it's movement being flying. if you also have obstacles for flying units there shouldn't be a bug with turning off collision when the unit is a flying unit.

Level 4
Have you tried instead of ordering the unit to move to the end(behind the trees and the cliff), periodically issuing it an order to move a little bit forword, so that it is actualy ordered to move through the obtacles

He needs the unit to move itself straight to its destination when it is orderd to move.

Level 14
I have encountered a stupid pathing bug: when a unit casts a specific spell, I turn it's pathing off and tell it to move to a point.
He tells it to move to the point I assume with a trigger, my suggestion is to periodically tell the unit to move a little bit forward until it reaches its target location, instead of ordering it to move to the target location from the start.

Level 4
He tells it to move to the point I assume with a trigger, my suggestion is to periodically tell the unit to move a little bit forward until it reaches its target location, instead of ordering it to move to the target location from the start.

Tell it to move to the point with a trigger?
So what these line are used to do?

• Custom script: set UnitLocationX(udg_Unit, Udg_Integer)
  • Custom script: set UnitLocationY(udg_Unit, Udg_Integer)

Status
Not open for further replies.