• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

ST's War TD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hello, and thank you for reading this thread. I'm Shadow_Templar (Or, as my former account name, Shadow_BH) This map is in a testing stage with a majority of it complete.

//===============================================================
About The Author
I'm a 3 1/2 year map making veteran, and I've spent about 20-30 hours on this project, and started it 12/29/09. I've mostly focused on RPG maps, (Survival RPG, Crusade RPG, ST's ORPG.) The former two can be found in hiveworkshop's database, the third can be found on other sites.

ST's WAR TD

A cooperative TD of North vs South. Build the best defense to prevent any mobs from reaching the war!

If any mob reaches the war ("a leak"), they will attempt to assault your town hall.

If your town hall dies, your team loses the game!

There are 50 levels of creeps of increasing difficulty. (Early levels are easier.)

If both teams survive all 50 levels, the game will judge the winning team on remaining HP. If the HP is the same, both teams win!

(May change in the future, open to suggestions)

However, to increase your gold and increase your odds of winning, you must train units to increase your income (gold given to you at the start of every next wave) these units will also do battle in the war in addition to any leaks!

There are 4 races to choose from!

(with more coming soon!)

Suggested Gameplay:

-Online play suggested, or multiple players via LAN.
-Even teams are also suggested.
-The best "action" happens when there is 8 total people playing.

Extra Features:
Music system (choose which song you want to play)
Difficulty system (everyone chooses how hard the game should be)
Time system (command to see elapsed time, also appears in the multi-board)
Multi-board (displays kills and income)
Sell system
Short Mode
Fog of War Mode
Hardcore Leak Mode
Single-Player Mode

Screenshots:

Feedback Wanted:

-Your opinion first and foremost =)
-Comments on the idea of the map
-Comments on how the gameplay felt to you, and (if any) suggestions on how it can be improved.
-Suggestions for improvements in any department (terrain, units, tooltips, sounds, difficulty etc.)
-This post, its my first map dev post here and tried to make it look all purty =D

Requests:
-Suggestions on how to make it a more competitive game.
DL Link:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/sts-war-td-1-00e-161454/
Further Reading:
-If you want more information about the map, (I will constantly check this thread, as well):
(A website and a good friend of mine is helping me build as I don't have HTML experience:)
http://strpg.freehostia.com/sts-war-td/

(My Forum:)
www.clanorpg.tk

Last edited:
Level 12
Hi shadow_templar i have always been a fan of your maps and played your orpg a lot so i just want to say good job on another awesome map this concept has been done in games before but has never successfully worked out hopefully your idea will continue to grow and turn out great :thumbs_up:

Level 15
Oops, posted in wrong thread. Will update with proper reply :p

EDIT: Tested the map. Was pretty cool :). The way leaks work is pretty original and cool. An AoS? Really nice ;)
Any chance of making some income units able to fight? At the cost of providing less income.
So they do attack 0_o That's awesome :)

Only thing I didn't like was that there are only 3 unique towers per race. Perhaps the guard towers should have different models just for aesthetics.

I'll test it somemore and reply.

EDIT2: Woah. The hedges can be upgraded to attack? I didn't know that until I built it out of curiousity. Perhaps you shoul add a text like "Can be upgraded to an attacking tower."

Last edited:
Level 12
Yea this map is very enjoyable and i finally got time to test it out and well... the game is VERY well balanced so good job the only thing that this game needs as far as i can see is improved descriptions to tell completely what each tower/income unit will do.

Level 5
Oops, posted in wrong thread. Will update with proper reply :p

EDIT: Tested the map. Was pretty cool :). The way leaks work is pretty original and cool. An AoS? Really nice ;)
Any chance of making some income units able to fight? At the cost of providing less income.
So they do attack 0_o That's awesome :)

Only thing I didn't like was that there are only 3 unique towers per race. Perhaps the guard towers should have different models just for aesthetics.

I'll test it somemore and reply.

EDIT2: Woah. The hedges can be upgraded to attack? I didn't know that until I built it out of curiousity. Perhaps you shoul add a text like "Can be upgraded to an attacking tower."

Haha looks like everything you suggested was already in the game =P

I myself have been contemplating adding in more unique towers per race, but as it stands the prices and effectiveness of each tower work pretty well together, I'm thinking perhaps that I will increase # of waves to 75 and add in a 300ish gold tower, but they're just ideas for now. I do like the idea of adding in red text on the hedges to tell people.

Yea this map is very enjoyable and i finally got time to test it out and well... the game is VERY well balanced so good job the only thing that this game needs as far as i can see is improved descriptions to tell completely what each tower/income unit will do.

What else do the tooltips need? They tell you range, attacks, damage, any special abilites, number of targets they attack.

I do know I'll need to add in some descriptions to the races, though. I've been meaning to do that for awhile.

Edit: Didn't see the part of /income unit, yeah I haven't added in descriptions to them beyond their income amount due to the fact that I had been rebalancing every income unit to make them fair and competitive, and I was contemplating adding in special abilities to a couple of them. But I will for sure add in a fun little "Lore" text to each one.

Level 5
Few preview sceenies for .12

My changelog for .12 is nearing 600 words..so I thought I'd show a few more screenies of what to expect from the next version =)

[[-Still looking for a minimap artist-]]

A preview of the next changes:

-Difficulty system revamped (see picture)
-Added ability to play all-pick or all-random (see picture)
-Updated GUI, changed multiboard slightly (see picture)

There are quite a few more changes, but I will wait until .12 to release the entire changelog =)

Attachments

• New Difficulty System.jpg
    New Difficulty System.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 99
  • Game Mode Picking.jpg
    Game Mode Picking.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 96
  • SinglePlayer and new multiboard.jpg
    SinglePlayer and new multiboard.jpg
    827.4 KB · Views: 122
Level 5
i have played this map on battlenet and its REALLY hard later on since there are not that good towers later... and the tooltip of arrow towers ultimate says it shoot 33 times a sec, its 3 times a sec

Thank you for the feedback, I'll look into the tower issue, as for difficulty ramping up I'm looking into making a smoother experience into the later levels.

Level 5
Just a new update, I have a new minimap picture so I wont need anyone to create one. Also, as requested, I've made the ultimate tower (205g) upgradeable for all races.

Full changelog and .12 release will be coming very soon! =)

Level 5
.20a Is released, the full changelog is 1,136 words.

First post updated with new map link.

A few features of the new version:

-Revamped Difficulty System
-New minimap picture
-Single-Player Mode
-All-Random Mode
-Revamped Guardian Towers
-Sell System

Level 12
Can't believe no one is replying to this map and its awesomness as for me i just wanted to stop by and post this here later this will be updated with my suggestions/glitches/bugs/etc..

EDIT*

1.elf builder is not strong enough to keep up with creeps that spawn he either needs more towers or more upgrades since the creeps get too strong for him needs some balancing.

2.when you choose random builder it gives you elf every time

3.when you look at the scoreboard timer and type the -time command the times are 1 second off

4.needs more special effects try adding a ton more doodads and stuff like that mainly just terrain try different looks for each seperate players spawns

5.i know it doesnt make much difference but disable the builders attacks just set "attacks used" field in object editor to "none"

6.although its not needed correct the gold/lumber/food descriptions by using advanced game interface also Shadow_Templar as upkeep has r below the name and it looks bad try putting something like "ST's War TD"

i will test the pther builders later no time right now i hope this helps

Last edited:
Level 5
Can't believe no one is replying to this map and its awesomness as for me i just wanted to stop by and post this here later this will be updated with my suggestions/glitches/bugs/etc..

EDIT*

1.elf builder is not strong enough to keep up with creeps that spawn he either needs more towers or more upgrades since the creeps get too strong for him needs some balancing.

2.when you choose random builder it gives you elf every time

3.when you look at the scoreboard timer and type the -time command the times are 1 second off

4.needs more special effects try adding a ton more doodads and stuff like that mainly just terrain try different looks for each seperate players spawns

5.i know it doesnt make much difference but disable the builders attacks just set "attacks used" field in object editor to "none"

6.although its not needed correct the gold/lumber/food descriptions by using advanced game interface also Shadow_Templar as upkeep has r below the name and it looks bad try putting something like "ST's War TD"

i will test the pther builders later no time right now i hope this helps

1.Not true, you just have to make sure your maze is spacious
2.Thats just your bad luck =P It is random, I assure you =P
3.That's because the multiboard updates every 1 second.
4.I actually removed a ton of the doodads from .20 to .21 to improve loading times, I don't have any plans to change the terrain other than in the spacious boxes and the war.
5.They actually have an attack so you can hit units that get stuck (very rare that they do)
6.Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into it.

Level 5
Thanks for the fast reply and i will try to find more but so far no bugs/glitches/etc.... so GJ :thumbs_up:

Thanks, I'm glad the bugs are so rare. I haven't noticed any after about 5 games played on my bot, either. Though, one of the bugs I fixed in .21 I had no idea even existed, I completely overlooked the fact I switched the computer names from north and south on darkgreen/brown (Opps!) but it was fixed. Haha. I actually spent 10 minutes trying to figure out what my tester was saying, on vent no less!

Level 5
Bumping.

Also for the next version I've enabled a check by the third level if someone hasn't built a tower yet they will be automatically kicked.

What do you guys think about this feature? Would a votekick be better?

Also, still looking for feedback about the map itself, its pretty much done minus the addition of more races of towers. And even then, they aren't even necessary.

Level 12
i think by round 3 if someone has no built they deserve to be kicked so yes please use that

i tested other races you have so far and they all seem to be very well balanced and this game is very challenging so good job im still looking for bugs/glitchs/etc.

Level 5
i think by round 3 if someone has no built they deserve to be kicked so yes please use that

i tested other races you have so far and they all seem to be very well balanced and this game is very challenging so good job im still looking for bugs/glitchs/etc.

Well I found a few bugs, but one is just a development error,I accidently changed the lumber scaling incorrectly when I added in the sm mode in .21. The other bug was one of the buffs had the wrong icon. Nothing too game breaking.

As for balance I've tried really hard to get things nicely and fairly balanced for competitive play. A few issues I have to look at are the upgraded wardens and the scaling for demon spawns.

Level 2
Okay well here is a balance issue: Hedges are really overpowered. You can just make a maze of a few well positioned hedges then save up for Mountain King and win.

Level 5
Okay well here is a balance issue: Hedges are really overpowered. You can just make a maze of a few well positioned hedges then save up for Mountain King and win.

A few questions:

1.(this may sound silly, but in past versions upgraded hedges were completely unbalanced): Were you playing .21a?

2.Were you playing a 4v4, 3v3, 2v2, 1v1?

3.Did you only mass upgraded hedges? Which level did you win by?

4.Did you send any units at all prior, or did you just save up lumber until you had 550?

5.Were you playing a regular game, or short mode?

And a few counterpoints:

-Your opponents know when you build a mountain king, mountain kings pretty much take an entire round to reach the opposite end to attack the base, so they have plenty of time to prepare: 1.Upgrade their towers, 2.Send machines, 3.Mass "cheap" units to slow it down, or 4.Use their armor bonus when its finally attacking. If your opponents choose not to do any of these counters, you win by "rushing."

-Massing hedges is effective for about the first half of the game and completely ineffective by rounds 40-50.

Level 2
1.(this may sound silly, but in past versions upgraded hedges were completely unbalanced): Were you playing .21a?
Yes.

2.Were you playing a 4v4, 3v3, 2v2, 1v1?
I was playing 4v4.

3.Did you only mass upgraded hedges? Which level did you win by?
Someone on the other team did it. (s)he some hedges and some other towers (couldn't clearly remember which ones but he was Orc race).
I think (s)he won before 40 he didn't have much towers and leaked but he bought lumber (It was sort of obvious from the amount of towers he had).

4.Did you send any units at all prior, or did you he just save up lumber until you had 550?
Someone on the other team did it to us but he sent some units before he sent his Mountain King.

5.Were you playing a regular game, or short mode?
I was playing a regular game.

Level 5
Yes.

I was playing 4v4.

Someone on the other team did it. (s)he some hedges and some other towers (couldn't clearly remember which ones but he was Orc race).
I think (s)he won before 40 he didn't have much towers and leaked but he bought lumber (It was sort of obvious from the amount of towers he had).

Someone on the other team did it to us but he sent some units before he sent his Mountain King.

I was playing a regular game.

Well that makes sense then, if they won at or near level 40, thats almost 4/5 of the game's end. Thank you for the reply though!

Level 2
Well that makes sense then, if they won at or near level 40, thats almost 4/5 of the game's end. Thank you for the reply though!

It was around the wave with Wardens (after it though not before).
I'm sorry don't really know the levels that well and it was quite a while back.

Level 5
Almost a month later bump, I'll be releasing the 1.00 version in the maps page within a few days, the changelog is over 4 pages long and will be in a very nice looking document for everyone to view.

The map is essentially complete, the only content missing would be any additional towers, and any additional races. Everything else is 100% done and almost completely bug-free, I'm in chronic online testing phase now, and the game should be good and done by then.

Level 14
Hello, Shadow Templar.
I have been a fan of your other maps, so, when I saw this, I thought it could be another awesome map in your library and a great addition to the armies of Warcraft III.
Well, this is really good, I loved it, tested with a friend and other dudes, but I have something to say..
1-Elf Builder is too underpowered. I had a maze of GAIA and still could not do it, I leaked 1-2 per round.Or more.But it's good, very good for income :) so please make gaias better.. Mazed with them and could not win?!

2-The Gul'dan race is underpowered, too. Melee units only..Besides Thrall guy, but has low damage.

3- The Human race is much more powerful, when you build kings near Hero, that becomes..imba. Try guessing what will happen if : The Gaia maze I built with Gaias would transform into kings, and add one Hero with that endurance aura inside it. They will kill like crazy.

4- There is a bug, when you're almost done though. You know, when cinematic is done, it mostly crashes. Not done, just exactly when it shows what team won. Yes I know, it does not affect gameplay, but affects.. Well some people in Garena wouldn't play this because it won't give any experience >.>' (Nah, I don't care about experience, but others do.)

5- Mountain Giants are insane. And they're easy to send if you got Elf race. Also, I had sent two of those huge-hp guys, but they didn't go inside war.. (Even though after next round) so it was GG. Please fix that :)

6- Kodo Beast (guldan)'s double-shot thingie does not work when a unit dies first hit..
Well here's what I found.
I have suggestion(s), too :

The Gul'Dan race's kodo beast should have a bit higher attack speed. It is a FAIL. Built it once, though.

This War TD is awesome, but would need some more races to make it even more awesome :)
-------
Haven't tested Acolyte race yet, but I will maybe do.

Have a nice day,
~Herian

Level 5
If you were crashing at the end, that was a bug back in .21. You were probably playing the wrong version:

http://wc3.nibbits.com/maps/view/131409/sts-war-td-30b

Download this one.

It was my fault, I never updated the main post, it's updated now. There were significant balance changes so you may want to try it out again and see how things play. There are even more balance changes in 1.00, which is due out very soon. Your last minute feedback is appropriate, I was noticing the war hero's auras were a bit too powerful just today!

Level 14
Oh, new version. :p Glad to see you fix everything fast.You're great.
Well, can't test it right now, will do it tomorrow :)

Good night,
~Herian

Level 27
Hmm.... this map has a nice concept.
IF i get any ideas for gamplay i'l be sure to tell you :)
Also, if you need a loading screen or some artwork (a skin maybe? :D) then i'l see what i can do.
Though i have to warn you that my health is bugging me. :/

Level 5
Hmm.... this map has a nice concept.
IF i get any ideas for gamplay i'l be sure to tell you :)
Also, if you need a loading screen or some artwork (a skin maybe? :D) then i'l see what i can do.
Though i have to warn you that my health is bugging me. :/

Would gladly appreciate any decent custom artwork, I'm not a graphic artist and all my lame stuff is made in paint.net. I'm sorry you don't feel well =(

Level 27
Awlright... i will.
Though i have to say, if you made that preveiw from scratch then you're no bad artist ;)

'right... taken some screens of the gameplay to put in the Loading Screen.
I have to say though, your map needs more sound effects, more EPIC.
If you want, i can go through your towers and make them look better.
Not change ANYTHING with the gamplay though, but i have abit of experience with making buildings look cool. (effectauras FTW.)
Anyways, i'l be working on the loading screen.
If you're interested in me making your towers look moar epich, tell me. :)

EDIT:
Awlright, got a prototype.
Anything can be changed, even the base concept, and if it sucks completely and you want me to do something else, tell me :)
174511-albums2384-picture26147.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.