• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[JASS/AI] Strings table and misunderstanding of caching concept

Level 19
WC3 written on C and uses typical caching method when it comes to strings. Every existing string being cached into virtual table which may improve mem use while working with tons of strings with the same content. You can learn more about it over the internet.

I've been using async strings in my LoD for a long time. I never knew about any kind of problems there, since I came up with jassing when v1.26 already been there. That means I totally miss glorious return bug times. So I asked the guy who had some experience back then about what he knows about desync caused by strings.

He answered that there was typecasting of strings to IDs, which actually means to their table's index.

Obviously, strings tables aren't synced - what the purpose? It's inner object with no purpose but to speed up perfomance. So chinese and english and russian players could met in the same map, having totally no issues about syncing. Remember - every string, every description, every tooltip is a string, which is cached and has some address and table index.

So, what been about desync. It happened when somebody decided to use string's index as a key for storing info. I believe it was due to lack of StringHash back then. Obviously whenever 2 players met, and they have different wc3 language, different CustomKeys settings or even modified map, bad things could happen.

But hey, it's 2016 already, and .24 with StringHash and removed RB been here for 8 years already. We don't care about indexing anymore. We just dont have to. We can declare any string we want locally, any amount of them, without any doubt.

TLDR: Stop false promising decyncs if somebody uses local declared strings - it wont' happen. You can try to proof desync by a real example tho. Until then it's a myth.

Level 13
Another string table myth.

So, what been about desync. It happened when somebody decided to use string's index as a key for storing info.

Even then, just storing info doesn't cause a desync:
JASS:
function store_info takes nothing returns nothing
    local integer i
    local string s

// assuming "string-A" and "string-B" have not been added to the string table yet
    if GetLocalPlayer() == Player(0) then
        // Player(0)'s "string-A" would have an id of say X
        set s = "string-A"
        set s = "string-B"
    else
        // for other players "string-A" would have an id of X + 1
        set s = "string-B"
        set s = "string-A"
    endif

set i = GetStringId("string-A")
    call BJDebugMsg(I2S(i))

set i_info[i] = 1
    set r_info[i] = 6.28
    set b_info[i] = true
    set s_info[i] = "Z"

call BJDebugMsg(I2S(i_info[i]))
    call BJDebugMsg(R2S(r_info[i]))
    if b_info[i] then
        call BJDebugMsg("true")
    endif
    call BJDebugMsg(s_info[i])
endfunction

The GetStringId function is from here.

Until then it's a myth.
Agree.

Level 19
Warcraft 3 was written on C++ actually.
I dont know how to distinguish one from another ,since C++ extends C, and we only have decompiled sources to guess.
Even then, just storing info doesn't cause a desync
game cache updates (normally used for storing data before hashtables) causes sync call (SyncSaved*) to have it common between all clients. I can imagine some clients being dropped due to incorrect data sent, but wont say for sure.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I dont know how to distinguish one from another ,since C++ extends C, and we only have decompiled sources to guess.
C++ and C are completely different languages. Recent features render them incompatible which each other. Only a subset of C is possible in C++, with the rest throwing syntax errors.

game cache updates (normally used for storing data before hashtables) causes sync call (SyncSaved*) to have it common between all clients. I can imagine some clients being dropped due to incorrect data sent, but wont say for sure.
There is no needed for "SyncSaved" call because data written is implicitly already identical between all clients. SyncSaved was obviously intended to allow multiplayer use of GameCache where it would sync values stored locally between players at map initialization, however since data persistence is not possible it never had any practical purpose except for some more modern synchronization techniques.

StringHash
StringHash cannot be used reliably because of the low bit length of the resulting hash. Professional cryptographic hashes have hash lengths of 192 bits or more, StringHash only has 32bits. If you do the mathematics after just a few hundred hashes the chance for a collision starts to become significant. At least 1 person has already complained that an error in his map was caused by a hash collision of StringHash.

TLDR: Stop false promising decyncs if somebody uses local declared strings - it wont' happen. You can try to proof desync by a real example tho. Until then it's a myth.
My proof is from observations with examples. many people suffered from desyncs until they got rid of the locally created strings after which the desyncs went away. The strings were used for model paths or text so did not alter game state (eg the effect was still created for all players, just using a different model path).

Remember - every string, every description, every tooltip is a string, which is cached and has some address and table index.
This makes the assumption that the entire game engine uses the same table for everything. Which is almost certainly wrong. A brief examination of the game shows that strings can (well could years ago when I did the test) be located in as many as 3 different spots in memory at the same time. It is completely possible that the JASS system has its entirely private string table and management system which is decoupled from the rest of the game engine which must deal with tooltips and other such strings. Additionally tooltips and other such strings always exist between all clients, even if the string itself is different due to localization. Also the sync problem was reported with locally creating strings such that the string table of one client features 1 more string than the other clients, something which cannot be caused by varying locales.

Level 19
My proof is from observations with examples. many people suffered from desyncs until they got rid of the locally created strings after which the desyncs went away. The strings were used for model paths or text so did not alter game state (eg the effect was still created for all players, just using a different model path).
yet you didnt provide them, so it as well can be outdated versions OR totally different things
It is completely possible that the JASS system has its entirely private string table and management system which is decoupled from the rest of the game engine which must deal with tooltips and other such strings.
Storm.dll takes care about all strings, while game only runned by Game.dll. so it's totally legit to assume so

Level 26
I do not remember ever experiencing a game desync that I could trace back to a pure string asynchronity and the only idea that came to my mind why this would make sense was that some network traffic like chat messages could be represented by string table lookups instead of transmitting the raw characters everytime. Please provide a concrete case. Also this is one of the questions that Blizzard should easily be able to answer.

That it's written in "C" or not does not really matter, just make it straight forward/ on topic.

You could link to Purge's String tutorial, they should have or get an idea about the string table at least.

TLDR: Stop false promising decyncs if somebody uses local declared strings - it wont' happen.
You really mean "declared"? ...
I've been using async strings in my LoD
... and you are using it in what ever LoD is? I hardly can imagine this does work as explained. What is your LoD example?

But hey, it's 2016 already, and .24 with StringHash and removed RB been here for 8 years already. We don't care about indexing anymore. We just dont have to. We can declare any string we want locally, any amount of them, without any doubt.
I honestly don't understand this explaination. Could you elaborate why declaring local strings should be safe now?

As far as I remember, I always had to declare strings globaly, and then made the initialization localy, otherwise I had issues.

Level 19
.. and you are using it in what ever LoD is? I hardly can imagine this does work as explained. What is your LoD example?
legends of dota, top2 custom map after dota itself
Could you elaborate why declaring local strings should be safe now?
because strings were used as keys for gamecache. nobody should use gamecache today, so it's safe to say it's irrelevant

Level 19
JASS:
global string s="totally sync string"

local string s="sync string"
local string s2="sync string"
if localplayer==myplayer then
 set s="async string 1"
 set s2="async string 2"
endif
the first string usage is it's own declaration, I didn't mean it declares like variables

Yeh, okay, but all clients have the strings declared and initialisized, it's just differently assigned for local clients, which is okay.
It could be easily clarified with an example I guess, I also got a sligthly wrong intention first when reading.

People often made did something like localy creating handles in combination with local strings, or did global creation, but with local initialiaztion and such, and then got errors,
but plainly what you show above I also think is perfectly okay.

Level 19
That it's written in "C" or not does not really matter, just make it straight forward/ on topic.
thats whole reason why string hash exists at all, and it's should help to understand why it used to be a thing back to 2006

Code:
int sub_6F4C4E60()
{
  int v0; // ecx@1
  int v1; // ebp@1
  int v2; // eax@2
  int v3; // ebx@2
  int v4; // ebx@2
  _BYTE *v5; // edi@4
  unsigned int v6; // esi@6
  int v7; // eax@12
  int v8; // eax@14
  int v10; // [sp+14h] [bp-Ch]@1
  int v11; // [sp+18h] [bp-8h]@1
  int v12; // [sp+1Ch] [bp-4h]@4

v0 = dword_6FAB7D14;
  v1 = 0;
  v11 = 0;
  v10 = 0;
  if ( dword_6FAB7D14 )
  {
    v2 = *(_DWORD *)(dword_6FAB7D14 + 12);
    v3 = v2 < 0;
    LOBYTE(v3) = v2 <= 0;
    v4 = v2 & (v3 - 1);
    if ( v4 > 0 )
    {
      while ( 1 )
      {
        if ( !v4 )
          goto LABEL_19;
        v5 = (_BYTE *)*sub_6F4C4300(v4 + 8, &v12);
        if ( v12 )
          Storm_403(v12, "e:\\Drive1\\temp\\buildwar3x\\Storm\\H\\stpl.h", 2601, 0);
        v6 = *(_DWORD *)(v4 + 4);
        ++v11;
        if ( v6 > 1 )
        {
          if ( v5 )
          {
            if ( *v5 )
            {
              v1 = v6 + v1 - 1;
              v10 += (v6 - 1) * Storm_506(v5);
              if ( v6 > 0x10 )
                nullsub_1("%s referred to %d times\n", v5, v6);
            }
          }
        }
        v0 = dword_6FAB7D14;
        if ( v4 )
          v7 = v4 + *(_DWORD *)(dword_6FAB7D14 + 4);
        else
LABEL_19:
          v7 = v0 + 8;
        v8 = *(_DWORD *)(v7 + 4);
        if ( v8 <= 0 )
          break;
        v4 = v8;
      }
    }
  }
  return nullsub_1("strings: %d reuses: %d savedBytes: %d\n", v11, v1, v10);
}

Some things is impossible to understand from showed code, like the (seemingly) important operations, or the random goto, but I anyways don't know what showed code should exactly help. :wsad:

But that your statement about desync/async is clear in the tutorial seems more important to me, as if it's written in C or C++. I honestly could not argue about it anyways.

Level 22
So, what been about desync. It happened when somebody decided to use string's index as a key for storing info. I believe it was due to lack of StringHash back then. Obviously whenever 2 players met, and they have different wc3 language, different CustomKeys settings or even modified map, bad things could happen.
Hold on, why is that string different for each player in the first place? Did the JASS script retrieved a string different to each other depending on the wc3 language used. Also, could the same thing happen when using ExecuteFunc?
(honest non-sarcastic questions)

Level 19
Hold on, why is that string different for each player in the first place? Did the JASS script retrieved a string different to each other depending on the wc3 language used. Also, could the same thing happen when using ExecuteFunc?
(honest non-sarcastic questions)
ANY string inside the quotes passed through jass is a string which goes to stringtable
JASS:
local string s="asd"
if LocalPlayer==MyPlayer then
set s="dsa"
endif
now only MyPlayer has string entry "dsa", rest have no value assigned.

Level 22
Got it, the string index returned from StringTable is different for each player due to stuffs like that which later causes desync. However getting the index of a string on the StringTable is still safe if StringTable remained sync at all times. (Make all players register the string then just null them
JASS:
local string s = "asd"
set s = "dsa"
if GetLocalPlayer() != MyPlayer then
    set s = ""
endif