• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Strength of Monsterz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
What kind of monsters would you like to see in an RPG:

1) monsters have considerable amount of health, you get to use many of your abilities in fight. damage they deal is considerable too. (lD&D style)

2) monsters have considerable amount of health, but damage is low. more monsters around though (WoW style)

3) each monster is a real fight (dunno what style...)

4) monsters are weak, but they are many (diablo style)

5) monsters have low health, but high damage. almost '1 shot - 1 kill' for both the monster and the hero. depending on hero it can be played either "diablo style" or "each monster is a real fight". (real-life style)

intended to add a poll, but accidentally forgot =\
(a poll can be found here, though that thread is not in it's place)

Level 15
Hmm... I think you should have something special instead of having the average kinds of monsters.
Maybe most monsters should be weak in terms of both health and damage. However, if it kills a hero or something, it would gain strength. Kinda like a hero levelling, but instead of gaining a boost to stats, it replaces the monster with a much more powerful one.
Alternatively, you can have little monsters that gain strength when fighting together. That would make eliminating them quickly important.

Of your five choices, I can't really make up my mind. As said, something unique would be cool :D

Level 15
yeah, i understand that there should be something original, and that there can be different kinds of monsters. but i'm asking for general concept. Diablo 2 had strong and tough monsters too, and WoW has mobs that hunt in packs, but die 1-shot. But the general idea remains the same.
As for me, i suppose that generally mobs should be rather weak, but unless you block/parry/dodge/resist an attack, you can get in trouble... like in real life.

Level 2
Hi,

It all depends on how the teams are divided, and how team-based the map is. If you're map is all about teamwork, I'd ofcourse make the mobs stronger, like option 1 or 3. However if the map is all about single characters I'd go for option 2 or 3. But that's just my humble opinion.

Best regards,
Lolaroids

Level 4
I love to see masses of monsters die :D although it's not the best style it's the most fun for me atleast. Buut the other style I like is the DnD like one, since I like to have abilities so I can actually have use for them. It's boring to have creeps that are killed mostly by normal attack, because it then feels like you don't need them.

Level 4
well, in my opinion, an RPG should have a large variety of enemy types, so it wouldn't be bad using all the different types, aslong as they are balanced well.

Level 3
I'm thinking strategic encounters.

Say, you encounter a Bandit Patrol.

There are three Bandits, a Rogue Mage, and two Outriders. The Bandits are basic backbone that will try to protect the Rogue Mage. the Outriders are powerful, swift versions of the Bandit that can ensnare. The Rogue Mage can heal and deal powerful damage, so you will want to defeat the mage first even though the bandits will focus on guarding them. This is more of a difficult encounter for melee attackers because of the Outrider's ensnare ability.

Therefore, you need to focus on what you're attacking but there's not too much strategy and moving around going on so you can focus on your spells as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.