• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Stormwind Entrance of my map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
On My map final conquest, I started working on Stormwind, and I somewhat got the entrance done...Though I know its not perfect, I'm not that good of a terrainer to make it looks really, well, uber.
HERE
HERE
HERE

I need helpful critism, Links to high grass models would be appreciated too... I want my terrain to look pretty o.o. Also to note, behind that gate is nothing but mountains :p, theres nothing behind there yet.
Helpful ways to improve is needed!
Thoughts??

(just to note, I just started using raise/lower tool for making hills and mountains now)

Level 5
Never use lordaeron summer, village is much better. and never use the third variation of river rushes, it looks nerly as ugly as the lordaeron summer tileset ^^
And try to avoid cliffs, but this is not so important. Then i would avoid Lordaeron summer trees, i would use ashenvale trees or ashenvale trees with the lordaeron summer tree texture. Or you use custom trees.
The fireplace doesnt look good at grass, i would move it under dirt. in front of the gate it is al little bit too flat. maybe lower it till the river.

Level 36
Wtf man? Dio3olus: all you said is personall oppinions, nothing like criticism or credits..
Some people do like the lordaron tileset, and the trees, i for one does.

And for the terrain, i think, for a playable terran, yeah, it looks good. Though i agree on the point with the cliffs, but i also understand that you dont wanna do the other style, takes to much time, ey? :p

Level 34
Dia3olus nailed it in the first post. Only use 3 variation on river rushes, and don't use that grass tile. Eww.

Are those WoW models? Or are they HT's model?

Level 12
I'm changing it, but im not changing the cliff type... That would fuck up the arrangement I have already.

Level 12
omfg... I ONLY used them on the freaking river and shorelines.... -_-

so stop saying to stop using them!!! I only use them when im making rivers and outlining continents

Level 34
omfg... I ONLY used them on the freaking river and shorelines.... -_-

so stop saying to stop using them!!! I only use them when im making rivers and outlining continents
And they are saying you should never use them. Rolling shores > Cliffs.

Level 12
I highly, HIGHLY doubt people would use all raise/lower tool to make the continents of 480x480 map

Level 5
Step.gif

Does it say something to you? ^^
Its not so hard to change that. Dismark only that mark at advanced > Enforce water high limits and use the raise 1 or 2 tool, then only lower that and you have a much better river

Level 34
Dia3olus thanks for that, but there is a good tutorial here on the site which explains that quite clearly. You should just link it next time.

But he is correct, this is the best way to make rivers and any water.

Level 12
It would take months only using the raise/lower tool to terrain my map... ill use that only on rivers, it would be better.

Level 12
If people can send me links to different grass models and stuff i would greatly appreciate it

Level 12
Step.gif

Does it say something to you? ^^
Its not so hard to change that. Dismark only that mark at advanced > Enforce water high limits and use the raise 1 or 2 tool, then only lower that and you have a much better river

Im sorry but those pictures are wrong, the cliffs will still be there when you raise the tool then lower, it doesnt change anything, even when marking off enforce water high limits

Level 34
Im sorry but those pictures are wrong, the cliffs will still be there when you raise the tool then lower, it doesnt change anything, even when marking off enforce water high limits
What exactly did you do? His example works perfectly. I've done it thousands of times.

I think you used the raise tool, not the ledge tool. After you make the water, you check off enforce water height limits, then you take the ledge tool (up, one) and cover everything so it's flat. Then you lower the ground. Water will show up. Although sometimes you have to mess around with it because it can come out squarish. It's hard to explain, but you'll see.

Level 12
Which means I have make all the rivers shallow and crap and use the edge tool.... Not very creative in my opinion, also using ledge tool doesn't make things flat, and its also a ramp tool, not ledge, and the ramp tool makes it a ramp which is at a angle, after I give all the sides ramps I cant add onto it with lower tool.

also that mid pic said "raise tool" which doesn't do what it is showed it does

Level 7
I don't know why, but I really like it. I mean it's not even that amazing (no offense, you understand). The trees aren't varied, cliffs are used (honestly that hardly bothers me though) and overspam of river rushes is used. Honestly I would say ditch all of those and put in lilly pads instead, spaced out of course. cattails too. But honestly you shouldn't ever resort to using the ugly mess that is a river rush.
Anyways, it has this great warcrafty feel to it. Now it doesn't look like terrain art, no, but it's just that simple good stuff that the warcraft campaign has. Yet still, there is much to be improved.

Level 12
The next time i post screenies it will change a lot, and I hope to keep that warcrafty feel to it, though this new patch killed the newgen for now, for me to make that area good I have to remake most of it.

Level 2
I dunno if it'll affect the rest of your map, but the blacksmith and farm, or whatever they were, need to be increased in size. And the tower as well unless it's meant to be representing something else. If it's a tower, it needs to be MUCH larger.

Status
Not open for further replies.