• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Static Wave

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Description: This is the static wave i made for my terraining contest #20 entry. I noticed that there is nowhere to find a wave model that you can use for static terrains so i made one. It uses the texture from the base game, no custom texture used.

Note: Again, this is for static/scenic terrains use only, this is not intended/made for playable maps.

If you want an animated waves for your playable maps, you have to fetch these model paths to your object editor because these are hidden in the world editor.

(You can pick one, these stuffs do the same thing anyway)
Doodads\LordaeronSummer\Water\ShorelineWave\ShorelineWave0.mdx
Doodads\LordaeronSummer\Water\ShorelineWave\ShorelineWave1.mdx
Doodads\LordaeronSummer\Water\Shoreline\Shoreline0.mdx
Doodads\LordaeronSummer\Water\ShorelineTide\ShorelineTide.mdx

You can see how i used it here:
Sample Screenshot
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/data/ratory-images/160/160036-7e578d1c23c2b479a92243f6f3728854.png

Scene Terrain
https://www.hiveworkshop.com/media/uncovered-id060619.125596/full?d=1559797861
Previews
Contents

Static Wave (Model)

Reviews
General Frank
Might be useful for some people, but it is too simple.
Level 1
this is very useful!! though it has no motion... srsly it's just like a wave that's frozen

Last edited:
Level 4
this is very useful!! though it has no motion... srsly it's just like a wave that's frozen
I think it's only static only to be used for screenshots

I LOVE THE WAY YOU BOLD STYLE YOUR NOTE AHHAHHAHA

Last edited by a moderator:
oh the wave model, im sorry I missed placed ur msg in my brain --

there are actually animated versions of this model, 2 of them, within the mpq hidden under some names, let me find them for you...

heres the page of other hidden things:

Hidden Resources in the WE (with screenshots!)

the models you are probably looking for are called Doodads\LordaeronSummer\Water\ShorelineWave\ShorelineWave0.mdl and Doodads\LordaeronSummer\Water\ShorelineWave\ShorelineWave1.mdl

you cannot find them in the drop down click menu under the model names, so you'll instead need to type/copy paste one of these names into your doodads/units model path in the bottom where it lets you type stuff.

then your waves should be animated, these waves are animated to move from backwards to forwards, and have alpha channels that are used in the material layers to fade into and out of existence. this model is used on the edges of water naturally, where cliffs and terrain meet water, you can alter the textures in these models, via skinning, that will also change the waves along you're shore lines as well. meaning you can experiment with skins on this wave model to see if you like your changes -- and if you do -- you can use your changes on ALL your shorelines.

shoreline textures are difficult and I suggest you avoid trying until you understand a bit more about how blue channels work with specifically the green channels. that being said, I hope these animated ones are more to your liking and work better for you then a stand still one.

if you like somethings about the shore line model and not others, like I did, my example being the height off the ground waves tended to be, which was at the stomach of a footman, too high, then you can even change your shore line models, them selves, and import them under the same name they naturally have, to replace the models too, as supposed to just replacing textures. in this way you can lower the height/change physical properties of the waves, even the auto generated ones on shorelines.

I hope you found some of this wall of text useful.

Edit: I see now you already knew most of this, you even found the other 2, whoses names I could not remember.

also -- how come I cant just send you private messages? lol

shorelines with 85% reduced Z co-ordinates:

full

full

you can also change the width of shorelines, incase you want them narrower or more wide, just not the frequency of auto generated ones. meaning you cannot increase the number of shorelines generated you can only change their individual properties.

Last edited: