• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

State of the art

Status
Not open for further replies.

San

San

Level 32
upload_2018-5-22_22-33-16.png

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Nice.

Now, a serious question for everybody: what is the greatest hardware / software that you know?

I do not mean good stuff here; I mean great / mind-blowing stuff, which may have forced you at some point to reconsider what you believed to be technically feasible, be it with a computer or with anything else.

Needless to say, the UBA does not count (for obvious reasons):

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
In the 1980s, I remember phantasizing on the calculating power of the Cray supercomputers (especially the Cray-2).

Speaking of them, a Cray X-MP was used to compute the CGI effects of the space opera film The Last Starfighter.

With this film, it was estimated that using computer animation to produce its 27 minutes of effects, would be faster and less expensive than using traditional special effects.

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
For me, DICE is certainly the most impressive emulator around.

The Discrete Integrated Circuit Emulator (a.k.a. DICE) emulates computer systems that lack any type of CPU, consisting only of discrete logic components. And it emulates them fast.

DICE - adam's emulation wip page

cleansweep.png crossfire.png hiway.png indy4.png pinpong.png
pong_doub.png steeple.png wipeout.png sharkjaws.png antiair.png

- The Difference between Discrete Circuits and Integrated Circuits? - El-Pro-Cus
- What is the difference between discrete circuits and integrated circuits? Can't you fit multiple discrete circuits on one plate of semiconductor material, making it an integrated circuit? - Quora

Electronic circuit - Wikipedia

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
WinFile for a new generation of users, courtesy of Craig Wittenberg and of Microsoft:
Microsoft/winfile

The Windows File Manager (a.k.a. WinFile) now runs as a native x86 and x64 desktop app on all currently supported version of Windows, including Windows 10. It was originally released with Windows 3.0 in the early 1990s.

This new, updated Winfile.exe depends on the VS 2015 C++ runtime.

File Manager (Windows) - Wikipedia

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32

2000:

Faith Off - Wikipedia

2018:

'Human brain' supercomputer with 1 million processors switched on for first time - The University of Manchester

Research Groups: APT - Advanced Processor Technologies (School of Computer Science - The University of Manchester)

So, scientists can run large-scale simulations processing to gather more data in real time? And this novel computer architecture is inspired by the working of the human brain, right?

Say no more. I got it, hehe...
:grin:

Homer: Uuh-huuh-uuuh, 200 million million actions per second...

one million.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.