• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Starting to Model

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
OK here is a really noobish question if you're considered a "modeler", but I need to know what tools I need to start making unit models... and loading screens. Yes it's a really noobish question:sad:, but I'd like to take up modeling so if you could just tell me I would be extremely appreciative.
Thanks in advance!:infl_thumbs_up:

Level 4
No modelling tools needed for loadingscreens. For modelling you could use programs such as GMax and Milkshape.

I'm pretty sure that if I wanted to make a loading screen I needed some sort of tool. Also how do I make a regular picture a loading screen? I've tried it before by just importing a picture I saved, but it won't let me use it because it's a misc. So how would I change it to a "model", and why a model? Shouldn't it be, like, a texture or something? :confused:

OK I downloaded the Milkshape thing and it doesn't work. And I'm pretty sure it's because of TFT Patch, but when I tried to download it (run it actually) it said that it had "encountered a problem" and that the patch was not installed. So here's the big question. I'm pretty sure it's because of the models I have saved in my W3 Folder. Is there any way to get the patch without deleting all of my downloaded files? And the Direct X download doesn't work either. WTF? Do downloads have something against my comp now?

You know what, on second thought, if nobody can help me I'll just start looking for a modeler to make models for me, so if you want a hobby just post some of your recent work and state that you would like to be my modeler. Thank you. :thumbs_up: :grin: :infl_thumbs_up:

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 3
for loading screens you can use warcraft3 model editor, at least thats what i use, it generates the model file you need from a .tga or a .blp (your image), save it as .mdx, after that you need to import the model (for the path just delete the "wc3imported/") and leave the name of the file "....mdx"; then import the real image .tga or .blp, and for the importing path do same thing as before leave only the name of the file with the ending .tga if its tga or .blp if its blp.

Level 3
this is what you get when you open it:

to create a loading screen model click Extras > Loading Screen Creator and you should get this box:

if you want to edit a model go file > open and select the .mdx then click on windows > model editor and you should get the box to edit the model. If you want to search for a default warcraft model then go Windows > MPQ Browser, another box will open, click file and select which .mpq you want

Level 4
OMFG!!! YOU KNEW THAT I HAD A WoW THEME!!! Well if that's the problem then should I delete the file or change it back?

I took of the theme and now it's saying something about W3 being installed (which it is) and an install path not existing... this is becoming bothersome... oh so bothersome...

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 2
It's always hard getting started. When u run something the first time, you probably +-+ or 0_0, but after years, u can use it with x_x (that means closed eyes). I have a library of my own icons in w3, and I want to create 3D models too. Now, i download that tool, and then we shall speak, OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.