• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Starting my own 2d mmorpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hey folks !!! You know that there are hundreds of orpg maps for Warcraft 3 , but this time it's something different : I am making my own mmorpg !!!!

Currently it's nameless since the project has just started , it will be free forever mmorpg but donations will always be welcome (no benefit from them) .

rpgstudioscreenshot19furankusaga.jpg

rpgstudioscreenshot23furankusaga.jpg

rpgstudioscreenshot28furankusaga.jpg

I've just started it so don't ask for stories and everything . I am posting this here just to know : is it a good idea of starting a game like that ? (Please don't post craps like : omg n00bz0rz stop it and go play dota)

Level 4
We are "internet friends" with the maker of RPG Studio , and he's really good at programming , so he will help me alot .

Level 34
Looks pretty bad. Why play it when there are better looking ones out there? Ragnarok looks better than that and it's old.

Level 25
How about ... No ?

How about... You pull your head out of your ass and look at the current gaming enviroment?

MMORPGs are everywhere, you idiot. Yours will be an inferior one, especially since so many companies are throwing money into it. And looking at your pictures, its quite clearly a Ragnarok Online clone

We already have a Ragnarok Online clone. Its called Ragnarok Online. We don't need another one

Go and design something that actually uses some brain power, then come back

Level 4
How about... You pull your head out of your ass and look at the current gaming enviroment?

After you

MMORPGs are everywhere, you idiot. Yours will be an inferior one, especially since so many companies are throwing money into it. And looking at your pictures, its quite clearly a Ragnarok Online clone

Childish jerks like you are everywhere too , so why don't you simply suicide ?
We already have a Ragnarok Online clone. Its called Ragnarok Online .

That doesn't even make sense

Go and design something that actually uses some brain power, then come back

Or I can simply ignore your idiotic comments .

Level 34
The only reason I can see you making this is to learn to program. The reason Mecheon is giving you a hard time is because you act as if this is going somewhere. Maybe you'll prove us all wrong (and I do hope you can), but from the looks of your game and progress so far (none) we're a little skeptical. In fact I'm 99.9% sure this project won't even come close to completion.

is it a good idea of starting a game like that ?
We're just letting you know it isn't.

Just a note: As long as you're having fun making your game and don't except people to actually play it, then go for it. I make wc3 maps for fun, I've never actually released a map, I just enjoy messing with the WE.

Level 25
After you

I'm looking at it. Its flooded by MMORPGs and Sci-Fi FPSes. After the successes of Halo and WoW, people have been making them by the truckload. Ergo, they do not sell and people aren't interested in them

Childish jerks like you are everywhere too , so why don't you simply suicide ?

I'm a cynical bastard who isn't giving you the response you want. What did you expect? Everyone to say "Oh, so awesome kawaii snorlax baka ^_^"?

That doesn't even make sense

We have one Ragnarok Online. Its enough. We don't need more

Or I can simply ignore your idiotic comments .

Ah, but in a few years time, when you realise how much of a waste this all was, you'd turn back and say "Damn, I sure wish I listened to that bitter moderator on that one website who criticised my work rather than being a spineless yes-man like my coworkers and everyone I gave this waste of code to"

Level 4
The only reason I can see you making this is to learn to program. The reason Mecheon is giving you a hard time is because you act as if this is going somewhere. Maybe you'll prove us all wrong (and I do hope you can), but from the looks of your game and progress so far (none) we're a little skeptical. In fact I'm 99.9% sure this project won't even come close to completion.

We're just letting you know it isn't.

Just a note: As long as you're having fun making your game and don't except people to actually play it, then go for it. I make wc3 maps for fun, I've never actually released a map, I just enjoy messing with the WE.

well , like I said , I am not trying to make it a mmorpg popular like wow or something . Basically I've just decided to try learning something useful (in fact , I'll have to learn modeling too) and any experience is better than nothing ;D

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The graphics so far look, well I take it graphics would not be the RPG's strong point. There is no way this could compair to blizzards upcomming game Diablo III graphicly let alone any commercial MMORPGS.

If I was you I would focus on making the game play good. You are after something new that is not in any existing MMORPG. As long as the gameplay is good, it would be played even if graphics are not top notch.

Also have you got any idea how you will handle multiplayer in that game? A game like WoW has 100s if not 1000s of servers running nonstop to handle the game load. If yours is free how you will provide such computational bandwith and power?

I would recomend you allow people to play as other races that are not just human or heavily human like.

Level 4
The graphics so far look, well I take it graphics would not be the RPG's strong point. There is no way this could compair to blizzards upcomming game Diablo III graphicly let alone any commercial MMORPGS.

If I was you I would focus on making the game play good. You are after something new that is not in any existing MMORPG. As long as the gameplay is good, it would be played even if graphics are not top notch.

Also have you got any idea how you will handle multiplayer in that game? A game like WoW has 100s if not 1000s of servers running nonstop to handle the game load. If yours is free how you will provide such computational bandwith and power?

I would recomend you allow people to play as other races that are not just human or heavily human like.

About the handling , haven't really though of that ;D
And about the races , well , modelling isn't my strongest side ;D But still , I'll try

Yay, rpg studio, a tool for people who have no clue what they are doing. Basically, you are using a template, not scripting or programming anything, just mouse clicking. How about learning wc3 GUI, it is harder! Need I mention you probably know no scripting/programming languages? Also, you need to be a professional modeler to model and animate (as well as texture) well enough for a "game", and then render it into set of sprites.

Basically, this all just failed. Looks like a clone to Ragnarok online, and will never get even near as famous as that one is. Also, just how much ignorant must you be to argue with Mecheon? Mecheon could be your father, kid, and you need to LEARN from him, rather than trash all people who are not yes-man.

I expect lots of failed sarcasm, and low quality quote rape on my post, and am ready to prove all my arguments right. GG

Level 34
He himself just said he doesn't expect it to be popular, so he doesn't need "1000's of servers". One small server would suffice for him and his friends.

Level 17
Yay, rpg studio, a tool for people who have no clue what they are doing. Basically, you are using a template, not scripting or programming anything, just mouse clicking. How about learning wc3 GUI, it is harder! Need I mention you probably know no scripting/programming languages? Also, you need to be a professional modeler to model and animate (as well as texture) well enough for a "game", and then render it into set of sprites.

Basically, this all just failed. Looks like a clone to Ragnarok online, and will never get even near as famous as that one is. Also, just how much ignorant must you be to argue with Mecheon? Mecheon could be your father, kid, and you need to LEARN from him, rather than trash all people who are not yes-man.

Uh huh..

I expect lots of failed sarcasm, and low quality quote rape on my post, and am ready to prove all my arguments right. GG

Really? Ok.

You are mimicking me, Mecheon, Kim, and any other user who might have posted In here or in the thread clone he posted in Off topic.

So your entire arguement is a Mimick and counts for nothing and so isnt valid.

I win!

Oh yay , -5 rep for nothing

Read what Kim gave it to you for...

Well actually I'm not sure, while you are the most fucking retarded person I have ever seen you have technically not been "Trolling". Just defending your "Game". Ya I guess it is kind of uncalled for.

Status
Not open for further replies.