• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Starcraft resource counter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Ok, so in Warcraft your resource goes up by the received amount instantly. In SC, anyone who's seen it knows how it kind of climbs up to the number really fast, proportionate in speed to the amount gained.

It's really more of an aesthetic, but can this be done in WC3?

Level 9

Skip to 4:13 (hive refuses to let me format it myself)

Watch upper right corner. The minerals go up quickly as they are harvested but not exactly instant.

Edit: Is there a way to track when someone gains a resource? There's WAY too many unique instances of that in my map to track it without some automation. I imagine this requires jass because we'd have to modify the delivery before the game actually gives you the resources. Otherwise, your gold/wood will jump up and down...

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It's really more of an aesthetic, but can this be done in WC3?
It cannot be done directly. One can simulate it to some extent with a high frequency periodic trigger, similar to smooth triggered movement, however this is inaccurate.

In StarCraft II the resources are gained and spendable the instant they are returned, even when the resource counter appears to still be counting up. The smooth count is nothing more than aesthetic visuals, such Damage over Time is in Diablo III. The above approach does not allow for this, hence is an inaccurate emulation.

I would avoid trying to trigger such smooth resource gain. In the end it is probably not worth the effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.