• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

StarCraft PTR now with DX9 support

Status
Not open for further replies.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
Starting with StarCraft 1.18, Blizzard dropped DirectDraw 2 (and the 640x480 8-bit rendering mode) in favor of modern OpenGL rendering only and higher resolution / BPP modes. The problem is that many many users complained, because they now could not run the game at all.

Adding DirectX 9 (read: D3D 9) support to the game will help improve compatibility with some Windows PCs. Laptops with poor OpenGL compatibility and technical support come of mind here.

Therefore, more people should now be able to run and enjoy this free game on more computers.

Fyi, the patched version of StarCraft officially does not run on a toaster anymore...
StarCraft System Requirements

It may be worth pointing out that StarCraft 1.18.x also runs on XP and Vista. But be aware that battlenet based play isn't supported with these OSes as of this writing.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I am guessing that those new official requirements also take into account the upcoming StarCraft Remastered, which should ship later this year.
I suspect that will use more memory. Sprite graphics are notorious for high memory usage, especially HD ones. GPU and CPU usage will probably be as good as the same.

The minimum supported processor is a Pentium D, which is the rather bad dual core version of Pentium 4 (before Core2 Duo, 2005-2008). This either comes from Windows 7-10 needing it (Windows 10 will not work on very old processors) or that they are compiling with an instruction set that requires at least Pentium D.

The minimum memory is more for OS+file cache than the game. I would not advise running Windows 7 with less than 2GB ever. Windows 10 with 4 GB is about the minimum for decent performance with file cache and a light weight game.

The minimum GPU is defined by the APIs they use. The 256 MB memory is probably needed, and a tad high, due to them loading all sprites into memory (probably no dynamic loading of only what is needed). SC has a lot of sprites and for decent GPU performance they must be in memory directly accessible by the GPU.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
When dealing with AAA video games, the Recommended Specs are the only ones which deliver an enjoyable gaming experience, provided one doubles the amount of RAM advertised as being recommended.

For those interested, the original system requirements for Brood War are here:
StarCraft: Brood War System Requirements - System Requirements

According to Blizzard, the minimum OS requirements were raised at some point, but I personally find this information to be dubious:
StarCraft System Requirements

Therefore it is my belief that Brood War 1.16.1 can also run on W9x OSes.

Status
Not open for further replies.