• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Stacking Items

ITEM STACKING TUTORIAL
There have been so many questions regarding the combining and/or stacking of items so i decided to make a tutorial!

1] Start
- Create a blank map
- Make a hero inside it
- Make 3 (or more) of the same item near the hero.

2] Stacking Items
- The triggers used for this are not complex. In fact, it is easier than most things.

Basically, what you have to do is to check if the player has an item in his inventory that is the same as the item he picked up. If he does then it stacks the item, otherwise it just.. does nothing and gives the item as normal.

• Stack
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Acquires an item
    • Conditions
      • ((Hero manipulating item) has an item of type (Item-type of (Item being manipulated))) Equal to True
      • (Item being manipulated) Not equal to (Item carried by (Hero manipulating item) of type (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)))
    • Actions
      • Item - Set charges remaining in (Item carried by (Hero manipulating item) of type (Item-type of (Item being manipulated))) to ((Charges remaining in (Item carried by (Hero manipulating item) of type (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)))) + (Charges remaining in (Item being manipulated)))
      • Hero - Drop (Item being manipulated) from (Hero manipulating item)
      • Item - Remove (Item being manipulated)
Of course, to shorten the lines you could just assign variable to those things but it's your choice!

• Events
This makes the trigger run when a player picks up an item.

• Conditions
    • ((Hero manipulating item) has an item of type (Item-type of (Item being manipulated))) Equal to True
    • (Item being manipulated) Not equal to (Item carried by (Hero manipulating item) of type (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)))
This checks if the player has the item and also if the item the player carries is NOT the same item he picked up. This prevents loops and crashes.

• Actions
    • Item - Set charges remaining in (Item carried by (Hero manipulating item) of type (Item-type of (Item being manipulated))) to ((Charges remaining in (Item carried by (Hero manipulating item) of type (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)))) + (Charges remaining in (Item being manipulated)))
The first line adds the amount of charges in the picked up item to the amount of charges in the item the hero already had.

The second line makes the hero drop the item he just picked up and the third one removes it!

And you're finished! Now any items you pick up will be automatically stacked.
The only problem is if you want to unstack the items.
How would you do that?
Well, you could, for example make a trigger which takes half the charges in the chosen slot and drops that many. The problem is that it can become odd numbers and you can't have half an item... The WE automatically rounds it down so you lose 1 charge.

• Unstack
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing -unstack as A substring
      • Player - Player 2 (Blue) types a chat message containing -unstack as A substring
      • Player - Player 3 (Teal) types a chat message containing -unstack as A substring
      • Player - Player 4 (Purple) types a chat message containing -unstack as A substring
      • Player - Player 5 (Yellow) types a chat message containing -unstack as A substring
      • Player - Player 6 (Orange) types a chat message containing -unstack as A substring
      • Player - Player 7 (Green) types a chat message containing -unstack as A substring
      • Player - Player 8 (Pink) types a chat message containing -unstack as A substring
      • Player - Player 9 (Gray) types a chat message containing -unstack as A substring
      • Player - Player 10 (Light Blue) types a chat message containing -unstack as A substring
      • Player - Player 11 (Dark Green) types a chat message containing -unstack as A substring
      • Player - Player 12 (Brown) types a chat message containing -unstack as A substring
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set HeroPos = (Position of Hero[(Player number of (Triggering player))])
      • Set Slot = (Integer((Substring((Entered chat string), 10, 10))))
      • Set Charges = ((Charges remaining in (Item carried by Hero[(Player number of (Triggering player))] in slot Slot)) / 2)
      • Item - Set charges remaining in (Item carried by Hero[(Player number of (Triggering player))] in slot Slot) to Charges
      • Item - Create (Item-type of (Item carried by Hero[(Player number of (Triggering player))] in slot Slot)) at HeroPos
      • Item - Set charges remaining in (Last created item) to Charges
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_HeroPos)
Oh, and before you use the unstack trigger, you need to define Hero[x] and create the other variables.

Example map:

Attachments

• test1.w3x
    17.5 KB · Views: 1,581
Last edited:
Level 14
No, hurt to have two. Theres different people in this world and some may find the other easier to understand and some might find this one easier to understand. Basically if the other one is to hard to understand they can come over here and try this one and see if it helps, and if both are just not geting to them they go ask in the trigger or jass pages but at least they may have a idea how the system may work from reading the one thats easier for them, so the jass and trigger people only have to help in the parts needed. So basically you can just attach this one to the other and mark it as "If you had trouble with the other one try this one." Because giving them a second option never hurts.

Level 4
Mega necro, but got a few qs

((Hero manipulating item) has an item of type (Item-type of (Item being manipulated))) Equal to True
Where do I can find this?

Conditions
((Hero manipulating item) has an item of type (Item-type of (Item being manipulated))) Equal to True
(Item being manipulated) Not equal to (Item carried by (Hero manipulating item) of type (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)))
Also, I don't really understand what is happening here, can someone explain?

Thanks!

Level 5
> Where do I can find this?
It's a Boolean comparison in the condition list.

> Also, I don't really understand what is happening here...
The first condition is to check if the unit already has that item or not. If already has then proceed to stacking.
The second condition is to ensure the item is not the item the hero just acquired.

Here's a scenario:
You pick up a Gun item.
If your unit already has Gun item, then proceed to stack.
The Gun that your unit already has, is not the Gun that your unit just picked up from the ground.

That's all.

Level 4
Thanks for the explanation, I although I am still derping around inside myself with "itemBeingManipulated" and "HeroManipulatingItem"

Level 4
about unstack

Why do u have to /2 and lose 1 stack?
Do like this,
set int_1 = charge/2
(the number hero keep)​
set int_2 = charge-int_1
(hero drop this)​
Done.

btw, I keep got the issue that sometimes it stack, sometimes it doesn't.

*edited:
the problem solved anyway, just me trying to be stupid.

Last edited:
Level 1
This file attached has a revised version of the trigger above. By placing items in a certain region those items are the only ones that will stack. Also I replaced "Unit - A unit Acquires an item" with has been issued an order.

Advantages:
• Allows you to stack Items when inventory full without extra rune item.
• Allows you to choose which items are stack able.
• Only takes two triggers for all stack able items you choose.

Disadvantages:
• When you hold shift to do multiple things in a row after picking up a stack able item all further commands are not guaranteed to activate. This is because picking up items too far away (more than 200) causes your hero to move to the item and then attempt to pick it up again. This move resets your shift queue.

A workaround is: when holding shift to pick up one of the stack able items then some other order first tell your hero to move next to the item and then pick it up.

Attachments

• Stacking.w3x
    91.3 KB · Views: 296
Level 1
I've made a way you can "unstack" your items ins 6oranges Triggers:

When the dummy ability called "unstack" is casted By your hero, one charge of an item located in hero's slot 1 will appear in your inventory, or in the ground if the inventory is full, and you can stack the items back by simply draging the item over another of the same type in the hero's inventory.

(The [Item - Set custom value of (Last created item) to 9] and them to 0 after the [Hero - Give (Last created item) to (Casting unit)] Actions are just to avoid the unstacked charge to come back to the original stack.
And i needed to add another condition at "Stacking" trigger, to complete the action).

Attachments

• Stacking_Improved.w3x
    92.9 KB · Views: 268
Level 2
ITEM STACKING TUTORIAL
There have been so many questions regarding the combining and/or stacking of items so i decided to make a tutorial!

1] Start
- Create a blank map
- Make a hero inside it
- Make 3 (or more) of the same item near the hero.

2] Stacking Items
- The triggers used for this are not complex. In fact, it is easier than most things.

Basically, what you have to do is to check if the player has an item in his inventory that is the same as the item he picked up. If he does then it stacks the item, otherwise it just.. does nothing and gives the item as normal.

• Stack
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
Of course, to shorten the lines you could just assign variable to those things but it's your choice!

• Events
This makes the trigger run when a player picks up an item.

• Conditions
This checks if the player has the item and also if the item the player carries is NOT the same item he picked up. This prevents loops and crashes.

• Actions
The first line adds the amount of charges in the picked up item to the amount of charges in the item the hero already had.

The second line makes the hero drop the item he just picked up and the third one removes it!

And you're finished! Now any items you pick up will be automatically stacked.
The only problem is if you want to unstack the items.
How would you do that?
Well, you could, for example make a trigger which takes half the charges in the chosen slot and drops that many. The problem is that it can become odd numbers and you can't have half an item... The WE automatically rounds it down so you lose 1 charge.

• Unstack
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing -unstack as A substring
      • Player - Player 2 (Blue) types a chat message containing -unstack as A substring
      • Player - Player 3 (Teal) types a chat message containing -unstack as A substring
      • Player - Player 4 (Purple) types a chat message containing -unstack as A substring
      • Player - Player 5 (Yellow) types a chat message containing -unstack as A substring
      • Player - Player 6 (Orange) types a chat message containing -unstack as A substring
      • Player - Player 7 (Green) types a chat message containing -unstack as A substring
      • Player - Player 8 (Pink) types a chat message containing -unstack as A substring
      • Player - Player 9 (Gray) types a chat message containing -unstack as A substring
      • Player - Player 10 (Light Blue) types a chat message containing -unstack as A substring
      • Player - Player 11 (Dark Green) types a chat message containing -unstack as A substring
      • Player - Player 12 (Brown) types a chat message containing -unstack as A substring
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set HeroPos = (Position of Hero[(Player number of (Triggering player))])
      • Set Slot = (Integer((Substring((Entered chat string), 10, 10))))
      • Set Charges = ((Charges remaining in (Item carried by Hero[(Player number of (Triggering player))] in slot Slot)) / 2)
      • Item - Set charges remaining in (Item carried by Hero[(Player number of (Triggering player))] in slot Slot) to Charges
      • Item - Create (Item-type of (Item carried by Hero[(Player number of (Triggering player))] in slot Slot)) at HeroPos
      • Item - Set charges remaining in (Last created item) to Charges
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_HeroPos)
Oh, and before you use the unstack trigger, you need to define Hero[x] and create the other variables.

Example map:

I've tested that bro and I realize you forgot something.
This can prevent any bugs with items that doesn't have any charge or 0 charges, like permanent items.
I found that out because I got 2 Claws of Attack and it stacked to one. And I didn't want that.
Just add this conditions to the list and it'll all work fine.

• (Charges remaining in (Item carried by (Hero manipulating item) of type (Item-type of (Item being manipulated)))) Greater than 0