• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Squire spells in wrong order

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hi!

My Squires Hateful Strike (W) is in the 1. position (left) and Taunt (Q) is in the 2. position (right), this makes everything very confusing (cool down etc.). Is there a reason for this? Can it be changed? Its kind of ruining the experience...

Awesome map otherwise though!

Hag6ard aka Gundey

Level 2
Ok, too bad, i guess it wouldnt be a problem if it where keys like A and Q or some other combination. the way it is now is just unintuitive...

oh well, ill get used to it.

Level 14
How would that help?
The problem is simply this: If "Hateful Strike" was always on the second position from top left, what should happen if you unlearned "Hateful Strike"? Should the spot remain empty? Or should another spell go there (in that case that spell would have a hotkey different than W, so you end up with the same problem).

The order in which spells are placed in the spellbook is determined by the order the spells get preloaded in the game. Since there's a lot of NPCs on the map with those abilities preplaced, I can't really control what gets loaded first, hence the order might be different.

I could work around that to make them appear in "order", but then again, since you can freely unlearn and relearn spells, it doesn't really make much sense to do that. The order will never match with the keyboard buttons.

I assigned the hotkeys for spells based on their importance and the cooldown. Usually, there's some internal logic in them.
More important spells are usually on QWERT, whereas less important spells are on ASDFG.
For classes like the druid or cleric, I used a different structure, placing healing spells in one row and damage spells in another.

However, there are 3rd party mods that dynamically change the hotkeys of abilities based on the position at the command card. You might try that out if you are not satisfied with the hotkeys.

Status
Not open for further replies.