• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Spellcheker for maps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
I don't want my map reviewed because I know it will be rejected.

but...

has anyone thought of making a program that automatically spell checks a map? ignoring spelling errors in trig variables and checking everything else, it would be an excellent way of reducing pending maps to just reject all spelling error maps. it would be a moderators app.

I'll be willing to help if someone makes a program that converts the map data into text. I'll make a program that spell checks that text.

hello anyone interested?

Level 19
yes but before I wasn't willing to help. now that I've already written a spell check program I actually care to off a solution again.

as for custom spells. the program can be manipulated to spit out all the words it thinks are spelling errors. making the moderators life much much much easier when you have a small list of words to look through instead of having to open a map, figure out how it works, play it and problem solve looking for hidden errors.

I'm willing to throw my hand in here, just give me a shout if I'm wasting time

Level 19
^ Exactly my answer.

but you are a map reviewer and I know for a fact that you do care about spelling errors because you bring it up in your reviews.

don't be a Hippocrate, lol, just look at that spelling. uhm I mean this would be a nice easy way of reducing pending maps. plus Map makers could use it too to fix their spelling.

What does your program exactly do? Even if syntax is done correctly (due to your software conditions), it doesn't mean the semantic is.
I don't think it would have some real benefit for a reviewer.

Let's say your software says: "Found 100 potential issues".
What will be the result? Will the reviewer analyze all texts of the whole game now to find out if the issues are relevant or not?
Even then, he must validate it is a "bad" issue, and not a false positive.
For example, it might be explicitly wanted that there are sentences or words spelled wrong at some point of the game.
There are also often words of expressions used that are probably unknown by your software, so the reviewer would be again supposed to check all details around the found "issue", to ensure correctness.

And as said, some spelling errors are not that important, in comparison to the needed effort it still takes for a reviewer. :(

Level 19
well my spell check is based off a 350000 English words list. I'll make it so you can add to that list, that way we can open a thread asking people to supply warcraft only words... easy.

now all it will do is check to see if all the words in the map exist in the spell check. if they don't exist it will copy the word down onto a GUI and explain where it's from(spit out a sentence)

that is about it. I could make the list of words editable so that both moderators and map makers can correct the words fixing the map

Level 19
Bring me any review I did where I stated spelling mistakes. I may only do that with cinematics or with map names, no more. Other than that, never.
Talking about spelling, hippocrate doesn't exist :p It is hypocrite.

stay on topic shadowfury. this is not about you, this is about the greater good of the hive workshop.

now what do you guys think about MY proposal?

Level 19
hmm... I'm not fighting with you guys. my personality might be abrasive but let me assure you most of my harm is done in jest.

for instance I think shadowfury is a great guy, as I'm sure his likewise attacking out of jest with good humour despite the topics determined setting.

and this will be an improvement to.the reviewer system as well as the map makers.

on second thought this is misplaced. I need to post the Question somewhere where I can ask for help on the mqs part

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.