• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Spell Import Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
I am rather new at this, but i do know the basics of spell importing. What I am asking is if there is a more efficient way to do it than the way I do it. Basically, I open the spell map, copy models, units, variables, triggers and w/e else is needed again and again and again. The worst part is that I have to close the map, open my map, paste it, open the previous map, copy, open other map and paste, and then suicide. It sux. Is there a better way to go about this? Please help a newbie out. (Also, what is the most effective order in importing? Copy models, units, variables, triggers? Or some other order? Thank you.

Merry Christmas:wgrin::wgrin::wgrin:

EDIT:
Oh, and please no JASS. I'm not touching that with a 4502 foot pole.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 11
you can try exporting and importing object data and triggers. Open the map with the units you want to copy from, go to object editor, file -> export all object data. Then go to the trigger editor and do file -> export triggers. Then open up your map and go to object editor, file -> import all object data, and go to trigger editor and do file - > import triggers. Make sure in File -> Preferences "Automatically Create Unknown Variables While Pasting Trigger Data" is checked - this will make it a lot easier. As for the custom models, only way to do it is import manager, export all files, then import files one by one into your map.

Btw, if you didn't know you can switch between maps without closing and reopening WE. Open the spell map, then open your map. Then to switch between the two just go to Windows (on the top of your screen) and select which map you want to look at.

Level 17
you can try exporting and importing object data and triggers. Open the map with the units you want to copy from, go to object editor, file -> export all object data. Then go to the trigger editor and do file -> export triggers. Then open up your map and go to object editor, file -> import all object data, and go to trigger editor and do file - > import triggers. Make sure in File -> Preferences "Automatically Create Unknown Variables While Pasting Trigger Data" is checked - this will make it a lot easier. As for the custom models, only way to do it is import manager, export all files, then import files one by one into your map.

Btw, if you didn't know you can switch between maps without closing and reopening WE. Open the spell map, then open your map. Then to switch between the two just go to Windows (on the top of your screen) and select which map you want to look at.

What he said is correct however, this method can only be used on maps with nothing custom in them, because importing new data overrides the old one. I sometimes just write down everything on a piece of paper, for example a custom ability, i write down what the author CHANGED what what spell its based on. And the units what abilities they have yata yata.

then i just open my map and well, technically make everything all over. this way IS faster if you write down everything, it also helps you understand the custom spell becasue you basicly re do everything (Except the triggers, because you can copy a multiple of those)

you know, someone should make a tool or a mod or w/e for world editor that allows you to mutli-copy things...

Level 1
While we are already here, i got a little problem to, When ive copyed the spell to
my heroes spell book (on my map ).
I change the model of the hero using that spell, when he uses it, nothing happens, the target just takes damage, and no awsome SAI-FAI model effekt.

Status
Not open for further replies.