• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

spell effect = crash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
- hiring mercenary : Elyssa Ravencrest (lina mercenary)
- guild quest :change class (magician)
*during the boss casting, while stepping on wind element (or what was it, the right bottom step rune)

whenever the two points stated above happened, i always end up crashing. fatal error.

is it because my windows is XP or perhaps any1 else ever had the same problem with this issue? and is there a way to solve this issue, before i really turn into my forum nickname.

Level 4
yes sir =(
tried this and that.. 16 bit and 32 bit and such..
from low to high opt..
i had played multiple classes as well.. around lv 30++ for each class, except mage.

the moment it crashes,
is whenever i clicked the hire button (for lina mercen),

and second is, when this bane elemental boss in mage class change quest
start to cast a spell in a wind element form.
(darkness skill is fine, fire is fine, light is fine, water is fine)

at first i suspect that my vga was troublesome,
but the heck, other than that skill of the boss, and specified mercen,
everything is fine and smooth going.

I can't find any logical connection between the mercenary and the lightning element rune.
The mercenary is a default wc3 unit model, with a default wc3 icon.

Did you try reinstalling your game?
You can also try to delete the files in your "UI" subfolder folder in Warcraft III directory, if you have any.
Other than that, there's not much I can do about it. Never happened for me and never received even a single report on this issue, so it's very likely to be a problem on your end.

Level 4
sir. my deepest apology for bothering you.
it was my mistake and yes,
you are correct.

apparantly my wc3 isnt fully updated.
i never noticed that my private server of bnet were still using wc3 v1.24.

tried and tested to play LAN with wc3 fully updated,
no more crashing occurs.

big thankies, im no longer being my nickname.
though im looking forward for the next updated map wont have any errors in v1.24

though im looking forward for the next updated map wont have any errors in v1.24
Btw, are you sure the game instantly crashed when hiring the mercenary and not when the merc tries to cast a spell?
From what I can see now, the crash is related to the spell "Lightning burst", which was not properly set up in the map optimizing procedure I used (hence why the spell doesn't cast in the 1.1n(2) version).

If my assumption is correct, then this should be fixed in the next release and probably work again with 1.24. I still highly recommend to upgrade to 1.26.

Level 4
allright..
something like this, sir.

condition :
v1.24, texture and light = high
result :
mercen = crashes on click hire button
mage class change boss = crash

condition :
v1.24, all video option = enabled and high
result :
mercen = works
mage class change boss = still crash

*the mage class change boss crashes not during the skill casting.
the crashing happens immediately when it changes color to yellow.

*the mage class change boss crashes not during the skill casting.
the crashing happens immediately when it changes color to yellow.
It appears to be like that. It actually crashes in the moment he starts spellcasting, not *during* spellcasting.

The only real difference between 1.24 and 1.26 is, that 1.26 doesn't crash anymore when using the ExecuteFunc("") native on a function name that doesn't exist.
I forgot to protect "Lightning Burst" from being optimized by Vexorian's Map optimizer. This is why the game crashes with 1.24. In 1.26, the spell simply does not cast.

Status
Not open for further replies.