• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Spell] Spell Critical Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
So we have this little argument over enabling a spell to deal critical damage.

One guy's suggestion was to make a dummy spell then make several dummy units to cast it. Think Ogre Magi's multicast spell in DotA .

However for a spell to deal 1.7 crit for example the dummy unit will cast the ability 7 times but each dealing only 1/10 of the spell's original damage or simply create 7 dummy units. Thus possible lags in some computers.

my idea was to make a passive spell that has a chance to apply a short duration-banish like effect when you cast a spell. This way a casted spell can deal something like a critical.

The problem is when others cast spells simultaneously w/ you.

We'd appreciate some professional help and maybe some samples.
Also If it's not possible then let us hear why.
Advanced thanks guys.

Level 6
Yeah, u got nice ideas but a damage system is best. You can spell crit,normal crit, evade, block or reduce using rulerofiron99's Gui damage Modification system. I imagine it should be the easiest\simplest system to understand and modify for fastest results. Problem is differentiating physical vs spell dmg. Until someone makes a gui version of the new physical/spell detection system, you will have to differentiate spell vs physical by either triggering all spell dmg , or having a dummy unit cast all spells. Perhaps someone can elaborate on that.

Level 6
I have made a test map for someone with spell crits a month ago using weeps dmg system, which is the simplest system of all with the least features, just has bare minimum, so it cant do evade or block etc like rulers gui mod system which uses bribes damage system. can send u test map nonetheless, if u want. But ill be home in like, 10 hours. Plus the map require u to differentiate spell dmg by making dummy unit cast, so it is not as easy as copy n paste. U must use the new jass physical or spell detection system if u expect instant use.

Level 19
use bribes dds

if random int bewtween 1 and 100 less than (percent) then (using nestharus's dds u can also track if it was spell damage or not with a simple boolean)
set damagemodifiedamount = damagemodfiedamount x 1.7
endif

Level 19
I see.
Thanks, I'll see if we can cramp in DDS in dota.
Any links for a stable dds here in hive?

@HesitationSnow
mind sharing the testmap via PM? :D

you realize that a spell critical is not some genius work of art, i can write one in ~5 seconds. (well mine took a couple weeks but it factors in a custom item system and a custom talent tree) its not like your passing top-secert information between the two of you :D

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...e-v2-2-1-0-a-201016/?prev=d=list&r=20&u=Bribe

Status
Not open for further replies.