• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Special effect mysteriously not showing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
Hi.

I want to use a special effect for one of my boss battles, but for some reason the special effect does NOT show.
I read here on the Hive, on a thread called "Things that leak", that special effects do leak, and we have to use the (Destroy special effect) action to remove those leaks. Until now, I used this:

• Special Effect - Create a special effect at POSITION using EFFECT
  • Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
However, I found that if I try to use "Abilities\Spells\Human\FlameStrike\FlameStrike1.mdl" for the effect, it does not show.
I tried deleting the (Destroy special effect) action, and then it did show. But this way, if I'm not wrong, I'm creating leaks. And a lot of them, because this effect is used a lot of times in my boss battle.
I though that destroying a special effect directly after creating will still show the animation. Why is this one not showing then?

You know, it's very funny to find out that you hero is being heavily damaged and you can't see what the hell is hurting him. XD

Regards

Level 4
Just General info: Not all Special Effect have one or all of "birth", "stand", "death" tag. And the one that doesn't have all of it, if created then it will just be played once. I sometimes use that SE, and use "wait" between them... or no destroying the SE at all...

(It just played once, or it's just my engine goes "weird"...)

Last edited:
Level 33
Usually you should use Special Effect that doesn't has list of animations at all such as Thunder Clap, War Stomp, etc.

To check whether the effect has a list of animations or not, simply browse the effect (either via World Editor (make it as unit) / Trigger Editor (list of SFX) / Object Editor (Art - Model File))

After you have browse the SFX, look at the potrait at your left-screen in World Editor windows.

It will display its animation right ?

If the SFX does not has the word "Animation: " below the name of the SFX, you're good to go with that code you're using now.

If it has, you're gonna need to wait for its animation to play, then destroy it.

Take a look at my Timed SFX system (signature).

Level 9
I see...
So, I'll have to wait for the animation before destroying the effect. OK, I'll give it a try.
Thanks for pointing your Timed SFX system defskull. Basicly, you store the effects in a hashtable trough dummies with expiration times, and then destroy effects when those units die, don't you? I like the idea, I'll probably use something similar.

Regards

Level 33
Basicly, you store the effects in a hashtable trough dummie with expiration times, and then destroy effects when those units die, don't you? I like the idea,
I'm thinking about changing the Hashtable method to Indexing, since creating unit per data would be unefficient (as it creates handle).

I'll probably use something similar.
You don't wanna use my system ? :/

Status
Not open for further replies.