• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[General] Art - Effect leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hello, I'm not really sure about this so I'm going to ask you guys.

Do special effects from object editor (Art - Effect, not special effects created from trigger) leak?

If yes, do I have to use :
  • Special Effect - Create a special effect ....
  • Special Effect - Destroy (last created special effect)
so my spells don't leak?

Level 2
So I just have to order my dummy units to war stomp with modified effect like frost nova instead of creating dummy units, damaging around it, and creating special effects?
Awesome!
Thanks!

Level 9
Well, the reason people use them are:
It's easy configurable
Can attach it to a point of a unit (head, overhead, chest,etc...) and remove them whenever they want
Besides, destroying the leak caused by this isn't as hard as:
Create a dummy unit
Create a ability (for effect)
Create a trigger which create dummy and order it to use the spell
This could even leads to some more leaks like location, non MUI (If looped) and more
So... consider yourself upon 2 options

Level 7
Dummy units are awesome and have so many easy pros.
As an example you could create 2 special effects (dummy model and dummy attack) + damage.

And I think it's easier for beginners to change the model from a unit inside the object editor than editing a jass line, if they don't even understand jass.

So I just have to order my dummy units to war stomp with modified effect like frost nova instead of creating dummy units, damaging around it, and creating special effects?

Yes, that's it.

Level 2
Hmm so which one is better?
Using dummy unit to cast spell or creating a dummy unit to damage an area around it + special effects?
I don't really need MUI spells for my map as it only allows 1 hero type to be picked.

Using dummy unit to cast spell or creating a dummy unit to damage an area around it + special effects?
I don't really need MUI spells for my map as it only allows 1 hero type to be picked.
They are both bad.
If you just want AoE damage without debuffs, you do not need a dummy unit.
Just use a special effect at the damage zone and enum all units at the targeted location.

Level 7
Creating dummys is hated by leak flamers.
Warcraft bugs a little bit with unit creations, because they will leak.

However I never noticed any game performance problems with spells were I used dummy units and mass spammed them.

+ I don't think creating spells non mui is bad.
It's fast made and if you just need it for 1 hero, who cares? :p
I guess just those who want to make use of your ideas.. ;)

Creating dummys is hated by leak flamers.
Warcraft bugs a little bit with unit creations, because they will leak.

However I never noticed any game performance problems with spells were I used dummy units and mass spammed them.

Please don't try to convince people that bad coding is a good thing!

Level 7
Please don't try to convince people that bad coding is a good thing!

Not everyone here is a pro in coding.
It's very hard if you have no experience on it.

Anyone starts low, so why spending months of time to understand a 'pro' vjass code (just the one you were reading over and over again) instead of trying out things.

The wheel wasn't round either and since it was round the first time people still made it cubic. Just because they know how this was possible.
They slowly grown up.

Thats the same way you are learning to code things.
Slowly.

Because it is bad to start off going the wrong way about coding.
If they want to learn to code then lead them in the right direction. What you are trying to say is that the spell shouldn't be MUI no matter, even though wouldn't causing any problems if by this. Although you didn't mention why.
You should only code without any errors at all if you are going to show your code off to the public. Meaning no errors according to what you want it to do with what in GUI, plain Jass or vJass.

As you said if you are only using the spell for the one hero in the game and not making duplicates, you obviously only need to make it compatible with a one unit use, strait forward code if not interfered.
Same would be going for if you are only using the spell for one unit per player you would only need to make it compatible that way.

Anyway the reason why spells need to be MUI is that a spells variable use could be overwritten when it is still going to be needed to be used. These variables needed to complete the spell but instead being replaced by the latest used one before finished.

A spell would only need to be 'MUI' if you need to use variables with sorts of waits in the progress of the spell functioning.

If you are wanting to show off a spell in the spell section it will need to basically have fully working code with the use of multiple units.

--
But yeh it is best if you are new to do whatever you want with coding in the World Editor. Just have fun. ^^

Level 10

Man, pay it cool :grin: adding special effect is better than creating dummies :goblin_yeah:
this smartass guys will definitely confuse you :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.