• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Spacecraft Ideas Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
I'm currently in the midst of creating a large project that could be directly related to Dead Space (though the idea came months before hearing about the game).
To give a bit of detail about the game, the game is based on repairing a destroyed space station sometime in the future (no set date yet, but maybe around 2150). Last activity on the ship would be around 5 years ago. The sole player controls 1 non-hero Officer who has the objective to fix various parts of the station. Once all objectives are complete, you win. Once your guy dies, you lose.
My problem is this: what major systems could be in need of repair. The well known/obvious systems are already implemented, and some unoriginal things as well.

To further complicate things for you, the game has 4 system categories:

Major Operation Systems:
These are systems that are required in order for the ship to move/activate. Its just that.
Current systems in this category with solution type:
-Power (multisystem, dual item recover)
-Engine (item recover)
-System AI (item recover)
-Override codes (decoder)

"Communications" Systems:
I use the title loosely because I have no full base for this section. When not fixing the station, you are working on these actions. Here you can go for more minor systems, or anything to help interact with anything outside the ship. This would include things like the communications terminal, external amplifier, or anything that- in some way- deals with communications.
There are currently no set systems for this.

Random events:
I plan on having a variety of these (as most games do). These events are major events that have a large effect on the player if not dealt with. Now, stick to ship systems. I don't want something like "alien hive spawner thing has been spotted at X. Kill it or deal with x more enemies." Systems here should usually result with something along the lines of death. Note that I will most likely put a low level limit of these so you don't constantly have to fix things to avoid death. Note you cannot get 2 at the same time.
Current random events with solution and consequence:
-Oxygen Tank Failure (get to region, death)
-Fluorine Pipeline Danger (get to region, death)

Side Tasks:
Enhance your gameplay with these. Get a system to work, and enjoy the bonus. Systems here should have a direct link to the player in a good way. I wish to limit these to realistic systems that don't overpower the player (NOT "fix armory weapon dispenser and get +1000 atk or anything close to that"). Do note that these things should not interferer with the games 'skeletal' things (like gravity/speed, oxygen/life support, enemies, health, energy/mana, or weapons/attack) nor do I want them helping out with the main tasks/system.
Current side task with solution and bonus:
-Sensor Array (item recover, allows player to ping where the player can access the current objective at any time)

Creating a system should include:
-A reason for being there: you are not repairing a ship because you are bored with a lifetime to spare.
-Some reasonable solution to fix: if you can't fix it, then scrap the idea. The game is meant to be beatable.
-Something to fix the system: some complicated action or required item to repair the system. Note that I am far from an experienced triggerer, so keep the solutions fairly simple.
-The system should exist. If its not going to be on the ship at the start, then why repair it (note the ship was abandoned, not part of a all-out war). I don't want to have to deal with the "Yeah, X kind of blew up. I'm going to have to rebuild it now." stuff.
-Don't add a combat/military system. The ship isn't in the middle of a war zone, or anywhere near any enemy ship (if there are any within 1 light years distance).
-Do not go for rip-off stuff: This is not some Star Wars/Star Trek/[insert futuristic game/movie here] game. Systems should be reasonable and have a sensible function.

How to post a system:
Follow this outline and you should be fine:

System:
Category:
Reason for existence:
Detailed Solution:
---
Consequence/bonus:
Time to fix: (for random events only)

If you require inspiration:
Systems: Think of something that you would require to operate a spaceship, and then some way it is malfunctioning. Things can be from a simple power line break to a complicated engine overhaul.
Solution: Anything that a mediocre triggerer could do. It can be simple like having to get an item and return it to somewhere, or have the player figure out a code while hints lie somewhere on the ship.

Rep will be awarded to those with good ideas.

Level 13
System: Haul interrogatory
Category:Major System
Reason for existence:Keeps you from outer space
Detailed Solution: You find some sort of welder inside engineering and you weld scape to the haul until you patch up whatever holes there are. More wholes can be made by random event such as meteoroid impact.

Level 7
System: Shields
Category: Major system
Reason for existence: Prevents space debris from damaging space station on impact.
Detailed Solution: Find the code from somewhere, and then go to the control room to access shield controls. Doing this will stop space debris damaging the space station on impact.

After first one is done the second one randomly occurs.

System: Shield system
Category: Random Event
Reason for existence: Prevents space debris from damaging space station on impact.
Detailed Solution: Go back to the Control Centre to reactivate it.
Other details: The shield system malfunctions and deactivates.
Consequnce: Space Debris can damage Space station (causeing Gallin's random event)
Bonus: Stops Space Station being damaged ... for a while.

Level 10
Both ideas are good. For the shields though, I think I'll have them as a side objective. I think I shall use all ideas. Hull interrogatory will be damaged by meteors/debris until shields are up. Once shields are up, there will be a small chance that they will fail again. If the HI reaches 0, the ship explodes. +rep for both you guys.

CyberDuelX16

C

CyberDuelX16

System: Hydrogen Propulsion
Category: Major System
Reason for existence: Allows and controls the movement and speed of the ship
Detailed Solution: Go to Engine room at fix the power grid
Other details: This is mostly only caused if the ship is damaged
Consequnce: The ship stops moving, leaving you vulnerable and alone...in dead space
Bonus: Ship starts moving again

Sidenote: If it were me, i would make this multi-player P:

Level 10
System: Hydrogen Propulsion
Reason for existence: Allows and controls the movement and speed of the ship
Detailed Solution: Go to Engine room at fix the power grid
Other details: This is mostly only caused if the ship is damaged
Consequnce: The ship stops moving, leaving you vulnerable and alone...in dead space
Bonus: Ship starts moving again

Sidenote: If it were me, i would make this multi-player P:

There is only 1 problem with this, the ship doesn't move at all.
Also, about multiplayer. I've thought about that, but right now, I still am trying to get things together for 1 player. I would like to make it multiplayer at some point, but it wont be for a few released versions.

CyberDuelX16

C

CyberDuelX16

Ahh K, Another One! ^^

System: Defense Matrix
Reason for existence: Allows the ship's defense systems to defend and hold off space anomalies and small asteroids
Detailed Solution: Go to the Power Grid Complex and restore the power
Other details: This is mostly only caused if the ship is damaged or a power surge or fluctuation has happened
Consequence: The defense system is turned off, leaving the ship defenseless

Level 8
System: Temprature Control
Category: Random Event or Side task(Unsure)
Reason for existence: It keeps the Ship at a temprature that is suitable for humans..if these systems fail the ship could freeze over in the void of space.
Other details: The Aliens turn off the systems and the temp will only last a little while longer.
Consequnce: Loss of Health / Freezing / Slowed
Bonus: The Aliens Get slowed because of the heat for a while.

Level 10
Ahh K, Another One! ^^

System: Defense Matrix
Reason for existence: Allows the ship's defense systems to defend and hold off space anomalies and small asteroids
Detailed Solution: Go to the Power Grid Complex and restore the power
Other details: This is mostly only caused if the ship is damaged or a power surge or fluctuation has happened
Consequence: The defense system is turned off, leaving the ship defenseless

The idea is kind of already mentioned with having shields, but the idea of a power surge could be of use.
As for temperature, as a random event, it can really mess with the player (having slower speed). Rep'd

Level 6
System: Life Support

Reason For Existance: if you're asking this than you should just leave

Possible Failures:
1) Filters have Caked and clogged
2) Power Conduit Rupture (decreases temperature till you freeze)
3) ruptured air lines (cuts off air to certain parts of ship)

Detailed Solution:
1) remove and clean Empty Canister, Find a replacement filter (harder than you think) (either solid or liquid form) and place it into empty canister and re-install
2) locate ruptured conduit (computer skilz) open pannel (insert cutting torch here) Bypass conduit (computer skilz) (replacing pannel un-necesary)
3) head to location of ruptured airline (will be presurized and safe) shut off airflow (oxygen explodes) take out trusty welder, weld hole shut, place duct tape over weld (added security and this is acually what duct tape is for (sealing air ducts)) turn on air and repair any other leaks

Other Details:
1) this occurs when the filters are not used for extensive periods. having air move through them helps prevent the buildup of materials that will clog the air filter and poison the air
2) without power to the heating sub-system the ships temperature will drop till you freeze (it is probably already freazing btw, so you will need that space suite you came with)
3) pressure will build in the compartment with the air leak untill it ruptures, certain areas of the ship will be without air, and your entire air supply will float into space

Consequence of not repairing:
1) if not repaired in a timely fasion the air will become toxic and un-breathable requiring you wear an atmosphere suit, wich will undoubtably slow you down
2) the temperature is probably already freezing, but you will not be able to remove your atmosphere suite untill the temperature is above freezing
3) if you do not repair this in a timely fasion than you will be sruck without air for the rest of the game (or untill you find some) and you could quite possibly rupture the compartment in wich the leak has occured, the sudden de-presurization will cause the station to break orbit and either burn up in the atmosphere or drift off into space

Notes: life support is crucial and should be the first thing on any would-be salvagers list. failure to repair the first two errors will result in an extended period in wich the individual may not remove his atmosphere suit increasing salvage time. these 2 do not cause permenant damage however
failure to repair the third can result in the loss of life support permenantly and the destruction of the station.

as soon as you enter the station sensors detect your presence and engage life support, you must repair these critical systems, you can not turn them off (without repairing the damaged computer wich will most certainly take too long.

Level 10
I would really also consider multi player because this just doesn't seem like a game that I would play by myself.

The type of game may not seem like a game you would want to play by yourself, but it will be much more detailed if it is only for 1 player (which is not my intention for, at the latest, the final release).

If I include multiplayer, it will probably be co-op or 3 players (3 players would be stretching it). The size of the map isn't built for 5 people to run around, even if there are a lot of, more or less, hidden areas. Having too many people searching around the map would lead to the entire ship being scouted out within minutes, and all the enemies dead extremely quickly (and yes, I am searching for a decent functional respawn system).

*If you think I am against multiplayer, skip to the last paragraph*
Just a few notes on the games becoming multiplayer:
-The game is currently designed for 1 player. This includes many factors which the player must choose from experience. For an example, the enemies that spawn on the map are random. When the game starts you are to choose an appropriate weapon and items to combat that enemy. If co-op is to enter the game, you would have 2 players with the same gun and similar items running around the map (having different weapons would pretty much result in 1 player being useless).
-Balance issues will pop up when this starts (and having triggers determine how many players are playing and doing the appropriate math is currently not on my to-do list). After some initial public testing, this should become much easier to deal with (hence why I said there will be a few releases before implementing this).
-There are many unit-specific actions that are currently in the game. Having the choice at the start to what weapon (aka unit) means replacing units with variables. I'm still trying to fix some of these triggers so that they work for 1 player, adding a second would just increase the amount of time spent on the one trigger alone.

I am definitely not against introducing co-op to the game (it is on my to-do list), its just that it will be a few releases away. Just to note: don't try and ask for more players. Once the game is released, you will personally find out why the game is limited to a small amount of players.

Status
Not open for further replies.