• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

PVE Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
Player versus Monters, Player versus Everything. Whatever you call it, it just refers to game genres where a player or a team take on NPC mosnters.
Genre spans Dungeon Crawls to Defenses to SPRPG's and so on.

Okay, so whats the point of this thread?
Im collecting ideas for a remake of one my projects, The Dreamvale.

This will be a Dungeon Crawl map, a multi leveled dungeon style in the likes of Warchsers or any Dungeon in an MMO. Each level presents a new challenge that players must overcome to continue.

But hold it, Im not asking for ideas relating to my specific project. Although I will end up using some of them. This more of a discussion on the Dungeon Crawl genre as a whole and really can be applied to anyone thinkinh of creating a map in this direction.

General
The way I see it, most dungeons are designed with a reference to RPG's in mind. Most feature loot systems, custom stats, linear progression and combat based on class based systems.

So Im thinking if what if we could forget all of that and recreate a Dungeon Crawl in reference to RTS combat instead.

Current Ideas

No Classes - Basically there will be no dedicated tank/dps/healer classes. Each character will have their own blend of survivability/damage and utility. If anything hero picks based on team needs will still exist, you just dont need a minmum of 3 players in order to get a basic team comp.

Items - This one has always been a big issue personally. In respect to PVE map, item design has always been difficult. Designing items that are not just stat sticks and at the same time balanced is never easy.

More to come.

Last edited:
Level 23
WoW, don't you have at least a base idea of how you want the game to proceed?... coz right now, its like asking the community on what kind of map you will do...

Thats taking it a little too vaguely.
It will be Dungeon Crawl, basically a multi leveled map styled somewhat like Warchasers or an MMO Dungeon.

This is more of brainstorm oh how to rebuild the dungeon crawl genre from the ground up if anything.

Level 23
Well the fact that im gonna use these ideas in a map is not relevant.
Im not asking for ideas in reference to my specific map.

It more of a discussion/list of stuff related to the entire genre itself.

Anyway, give me a moment. I need to rewrite the first post to make it clearer.

Level 23
I said that I will be using the ideas people give.

However I dont want people to give ideas BASED ON MY MAP. Im just looking for opinions on how people would choose to create such a game assuing they could reinvent the genre.

But honestly the thread has been derailed to hell and back, just call a mod and lock it or something.
/facedesk

Nox

Nox

Level 2
An RTS based dungeon could be pretty interesting, here are some ideas I've had about it.

- At the beginning of the map and after each boss, have a checkpoint where you can train units and upgrades. Once you move past a checkpoint you can't train units.
- Units cost just food up to a max of 20, so a lot of the strategy is choosing a good unit mix.
-Gold/Lumber is replaced with Upgrade Points and Ability Points. Upgrade points are used to buy stat upgrades (+health/mana, +attack, +armor..etc) and Ability points are used to unlock new abilities/spells for units.
-All enemies drop Upgrade/Ability points
-When you defeat a boss, new units are unlocked and you go to the next checkpoint. All units are removed so you can repick your army composition for the next part of the dungeon.

Level 6
If I were to design a dungeon crawler... I'd probally make dungeons themed.
Example:
One dungeon takes place where basically you gotta kill units use proper stealth and procation to move on. Like if you just run up to a enemy your gonna be destroyed while if you can by pass em to do certain objectives like get to the Arcane Sanctum and destroy the guards and turn down the force field its generating you gotta use stealth to get to it.
While others I'd make like a dark and eriee place like in the Diablos. Where your in a dark dungeon type of thing, don't know whats where and just gotta kill monsters and go through certain scenarios like.
You get to a boss then they end up summoning a dragon during the fight and fly away so then Dragons come to assist you then you do a Mount Combat scenario. Do cool things like that. And for items... Think of wacky things that make sense and are cool.
Like.....
-----------------------------------------------------------------
"John's Holy Book"
50-60 Holy Light Dam

Description:
This book belongs to the old cleric John who was lost in the dungeon and died at one point due to the infestation of zombies.

Use:Cast Holy Light
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its really just creativity dude. Play some RPGs on wc3 for ideas. Play WoW for dungeon ideas and your fine. Honestly you do these things(Play RPGs on Wc3 and just do WoW for dungeon scenario ideas) you could have a nice dungeon crawler(D2 also will help and watching videos on D3 will help imnormlisly((I got bad spelling)))

Level 23
Its really just creativity dude. Play some RPGs on wc3 for ideas. Play WoW for dungeon ideas and your fine. Honestly you do these things(Play RPGs on Wc3 and just do WoW for dungeon scenario ideas) you could have a nice dungeon crawler(D2 also will help and watching videos on D3 will help imnormlisly((I got bad spelling)))

The whole point is to redesign everything from scratch, not to simply repeat what everything else has done. If you bothered to read the "General" section of the first post, youd realise how irreleveant what you just said was.

Besides Nox, no one else seems to understand what Im getting at.
But its k, I wont be paying attention to this thread in the future.

Could a mod please lock this?

Level 4
so, I dont have much to add, but I like what NOX said, that sounds cool....

also, what about a custom magic system? have you read wheel of time? how magic works there? combining threads of different magical forces to make a spell, kinda like the Invoker from Dota. (that whole wex, hex, rex whatever-thing...)

or have you played Magica? 2x fire + 1x rock = fireball!

also, make sure the story is okay. I'v played a couple of maps where you don't know who/where/what you are and why the f* you are fighting??! Always nicer if you know what's going on...

Status
Not open for further replies.