• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Role Playing Game] Crafting System Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
I need ideas for a crafting system that is feasible to implement in Warcraft III (i.e. no dynamically created items).

My ideal would be system used in Evil Islands game - you have a blueprint of a sword, for example, that requires 4 metal and 1 wood - you fill it with whatever metal and wood you want and items stats adjust to that, but sheer amount of combinations would make that unfeasible.

Of course I could use simple system like WoW uses, but that's so boring and banal its not worth implementing.

Another problem I have is item enhancement (enchanting, gem socketing, stuff like that). I'd like to have that, but I have no idea how to without creating several copies of each item, one for each enhancement.

Any ideas are welcome, even if they don't provide complete solution.
Pointers to games with interesting crafting systems are fine too.

Last edited:
Level 28
Northrend Bound's crafting system works pretty well.

There was a map called (I think) Goblin Exploration Ashenvale where the ingredients are placed together on the ground, then an AoE ability targets the ground and replaces the ingredients with their outcome.

For the item enhancement, you could do something like giving the hero the enhanced ability as long as they have the item, and remove it when they drop the item/change it. Although I don't know if you can change tooltips in-game to reflect the new enhancement, maybe you could use a buff that only says which enhancement is in use. And restrict enhancements to one at a time (+15 damage or Orb of Fire or +10 HP/sec etc.) to simplify things.

Last edited:
Level 9
Northrend Bound's crafting system works pretty well.
Thanks, I'll check that out.

There was a map called (I think) Goblin Exploration Ashenvale where the ingredients are placed together on the ground, then an AoE ability targets the ground and replaces the ingredients with their outcome.
I mean the abstract system though, how combination of ingredients produces an item, not mechanical implementation.
I simply put ingredients into a special unit's (e.g. Alchemy Lab's) inventory, and then it uses a dummy ability (e.g. Brew Potion).

For the item enhancement, you could do something like giving the hero the enhanced ability as long as they have the item, and remove it when they drop the item/change it. Although I don't know if you can change tooltips in-game to reflect the new enhancement, maybe you could use a buff that only says which enhancement is in use. And restrict enhancements to one at a time (+15 damage or Orb of Fire or +10 HP/sec etc.) to simplify things.

Hmm, I didn't think about keeping information in the tooltip... I think item icon and description can be changed on individual basis these days, so I might be able to store enhancement there if I make a decent system to check for words like "Enchantment - Fire Blast" or "Enhancement - Weapon Chain" and then adding a relevant ability to the Hero. I'll look into that, thanks for idea.

Level 38
I think item icon and description can be changed on individual basis these days
Yes, item tooltips/icon/name can all be dynamically modified like spells now. Using a system like BonusMod would make it easy to augment unit stats depending on what the item description says and easily automate it when units pick up and drop items. This would all work perfectly with the Evil Island method of crafting.

Status
Not open for further replies.