• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Some newbie Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
Moin moin =)

Yes I started to use this galaxy editor and directly have some questions and maybe some dudes/girls can help here:

Terrain: When I want place some terrain, I press "T" and select the correct terrain. But now when I want place it on the map, I just see 4 orange lines, where the terrain should be. In the Warcraft 3 editor I saw a full green square. Can I change those 4 lines to something like in the Warcraft 3 Editor? Because only with these 4 lines I become crazy -_-

Terrain: How can I, or is it even possible, make a terrain unbuildable? Because on some way, I can build on any terrain, which would ruin my map idea at all ...

Unit: So I created a new unit (like Dr Super Good said in his small tutorial), but when I try to place the unit on the map, I can't see it. I see on the minimap a small point, where the unit should be, but it isn't there. What can be wrong here?

Trigger: As I see, Galaxy use GUI. Is there any custom text or something too, like in the Warcraft 3 Editor? If yes how can I activate it?

Ok this is all at the moment, hope someone can help me with my problems.
Greetings and Peace
Dr. Boom

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Terrain: When I want place some terrain, I press "T" and select the correct terrain. But now when I want place it on the map, I just see 4 orange lines, where the terrain should be. In the Warcraft 3 editor I saw a full green square. Can I change those 4 lines to something like in the Warcraft 3 Editor? Because only with these 4 lines I become crazy -_-
WC3 terrain is different from SC2. SC2 is like painting a picture instead of a chess board.

Terrain: How can I, or is it even possible, make a terrain unbuildable? Because on some way, I can build on any terrain, which would ruin my map idea at all ...
Modify the pathing layer. Unlike WC3 where you did not have acess to that (despite it being supported), SC2 actually lets you directly edit the map's global pathing map.

Unit: So I created a new unit (like Dr Super Good said in his small tutorial), but when I try to place the unit on the map, I can't see it. I see on the minimap a small point, where the unit should be, but it isn't there. What can be wrong here?
You have not linked an actor to the unit for it to use. Why on earth do people expect units to have a model unless they tell it to have one...

Trigger: As I see, Galaxy use GUI. Is there any custom text or something too, like in the Warcraft 3 Editor? If yes how can I activate it?
You can eithor use a custom script GUI element or you can create a new custom script container (same place you make new variables, trigger etc). Be aware that currently the custom scripit is slightly buggy (not ingame, but in the editor). Also using GUI is not as shameful as in WC3 as GUI does not leak and is a lot more efficent).

Level 16
WC3 terrain is different from SC2. SC2 is like painting a picture instead of a chess board.
Yes sure, but for me it's very hard to place good textures, but I think with some days of practice it will be better.

Modify the pathing layer. Unlike WC3 where you did not have acess to that (despite it being supported), SC2 actually lets you directly edit the map's global pathing map.
Ahh ok, I found it, very good idea to make this - Thanks

You have not linked an actor to the unit for it to use. Why on earth do people expect units to have a model unless they tell it to have one...
And why on earth people expect, that everyone know that? I looked at some other smaller tutorials and no one said a word about, that you need mark this option, because I c&p a unit and I thought he would take over even this. At the end it's clear to have this, but not at the beginning and not if you are an all known pro - But thanks, problem solved

You can eithor use a custom script GUI element or you can create a new custom script container (same place you make new variables, trigger etc). Be aware that currently the custom scripit is slightly buggy (not ingame, but in the editor). Also using GUI is not as shameful as in WC3 as GUI does not leak and is a lot more efficent).
Ok thanks, I knew that Blizzard improve the GUI in Galaxy, but I didn't know how far, but now I know it's fully ok to use it.

+rep for help > Thanks > Greetings and Peace
Dr. Boom

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The problem is there is nearly nothing you can access in script that you can not access in GUI. Additionally they made the highlighter so inefficent it takes minutes to copy a few functions into the editor meaning its often faster to use GUI.

Basically, they fixed the failure that WC3 GUI had by improving GUI to a degree but also dumbing down the scripting language so that scripting and GUI are very simlar (no more complaints from people who can not program).

I still perfer scripting as it allows you to copy statements more easilly. You also can make the odd optimization or access values that GUI obscures.

Level 16
At all not bad, to improve the Galaxy GUI how they did it. I used some GUI actions and this is much more easier and better to use, but like you I actually want to use script es well, if I can, but then I have the next two questions:

1) What exactly is the galaxy language? Sometimes I read it's just "C" but somewhere else I see it's "C++", which is a difference!

2) I asked and you answered already, but how to use custom script? When I make a new action, then I have "Custom Script" and if I want (for example) kill a unit, then I can click on "Triggering Unit" and choose there custom script, but anyway it's still GUI. Thought there is some style like it was in the Warcraft 3 Editor (?)

Level 12
1) It's neither. It has simillar syntax as C, but it lacks some features (pointers for example). And it most certainly doesn't have anything that C++ has over C.

2) There is an action called "Custom script", that allows you to write multiple lines of code. Also there is an element "Custom script" (ctrl+alt+t) for creating functions.

Level 16
Yes I found it, all right. So the galaxy script language isn't my strength at all, but vJass wasn't to and I learned in a 1 weak, so I think after my current map "project" I will start to learn.

But for now I have another question for the GUI part, the plan is:
I want create a dialog after a short real time, I create buttons to it, save them in variables and show it for all player. Now I create another trigger, with the event if any DialogObject (I Have the German version so hard to translate) is clicked.

Now I want use some If-Then-Else to check WHAT button is clicked. But what's about the conditions? =O There is just "not - or - and - text - "Between points" (translated from German) - compare (translated from German). So how the hell, and I searched long, can I make a condition "Clicked DialogObject = Varable[X]"?

Level 5
for me, the HUGE difference in galaxy editor over world editor is the action definitions. you can build whole games (seemingly whole game engines) just by smartly using action definitions. in fact, if the galaxy editor was an actual game, i would tell you to ABUSE ACTION DEFINITIONS, THEY ARE IMBA

i dont know shit about programing, but when these people talk of "functions," i think it is reasonable to equate that with action deifnitions. in warcraft 3, unless you were making only single player maps, there was no equivalent to action definitions; you just had to slave away at some ridiculously complicated hashtable if you didn't know JASS, which is what i did. the problem now is I am so used to that paradigm, that i could not easily slip into the galaxy editor because i was thinking too old-school, like when the country elects a democrat after 8 years of republicans

but my advice to you if you are a newb is just mess around with action definitions till you can make a good map. I made a couple versions of a map i call "baneling bowling" i never published it because it was grossly inefficient and glued-together, but i totally understand the new triggers now and i think if i picked it up again i could easily make a pretty good bowling game in the galaxy editor.

after learning action definitions, you need to get familiar with the data editor, which i am stuck at now. remember the world editor in the object editor, under units, all those fields labeled "Art -" that had no obvious purpose? yeah, get used to those ambiguous fields again because the data editor is full of them

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
The Scripting language of SC2 is a C based language. It is prety identical to an older version of C next to pointers being removed and structs being very restrictive in generation. It also lacks preprocessor commands.

To make a custom script triggers, firstly update SC2 and then when creating a new trigger choose the custom script element. This is done in the windows on the left side of the screen usually.

Clicked DialogObject = Varable[X]

Clicked DiaglogObject = (Abs(*yourvariable))

Edit: Abs stands for Absolute. I don't know what that is in German
so I'm assuming it's probably something other than "(Abs" in your GE.

you just had to slave away at some ridiculously complicated hashtable if you didn't know JASS, which is what i did.

Thank god for noobs like me who stuck to GUI because they were too lazy to learn JASS :)

Status
Not open for further replies.