• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] Unknown Compile Error with WEX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Hey there, I'm an old mapmaker who's returning to wc3 after several years and my memory is failing me. Can you not declare globals inside a trigger? I feel like I used to be able to do that, yet I'm getting an "unknown compile error" from it. I also tried putting them in the map header and had the same error.

I'm using WEX (I'm used to NewGen, not sure what the differences are).

Level 2
I did! Didn't fix my issue unfortunately. I take it this confirms that I'm not crazy and you're supposed to be able to declare globals in triggers? Lol.

Level 2
Is there anything I need to do to enable vJass after opening WEX for the first time? I just figured it would be enabled automatically.

Edit: Just looked through the menus and I do have "Enable vJass" checked under Compilers. So I guess my editor is just bugged then...

I didn't see any install instructions on the WEX download page - I just put mine inside my Warcraft III folder and I did replace the addresses.xml file as indicated in the thread. Is there anything else I should have done?

Last edited:
Is there anything I need to do to enable vJass after opening WEX for the first time? I just figured it would be enabled automatically.

Edit: Just looked through the menus and I do have "Enable vJass" checked under Compilers. So I guess my editor is just bugged then...

I didn't see any install instructions on the WEX download page - I just put mine inside my Warcraft III folder and I did replace the addresses.xml file as indicated in the thread. Is there anything else I should have done?

If you are on 1.29.1 or 1.29.2 then you need to download an updated addresses.xml

SharpCraft World Editor Extended Bundle

vJASS is included with the vanilla world editor in patch 1.30.

Level 2
If you are on 1.29.1 or 1.29.2 then you need to download an updated addresses.xml

SharpCraft World Editor Extended Bundle

vJASS is included with the vanilla world editor in patch 1.30.

I did do that! Maybe I did it wrong? I do just replace the one that's under WEX\plugins, right?

Are you saying blizzard is going to start supporting vJass or am I misunderstanding you?

(Also hey, I remember your name from way back in the day. Crazy that some of these old names are still around.)

Also, can I edit the thread title to better represent what seems to be the new issue?

Last edited by a moderator:
I do just replace the one that's under WEX\plugins, right?

Yeah. Make sure that you disable the vanilla syntax checker in the compilers menu and also confirm that you are on patch 1.29.2.

Are you saying blizzard is going to start supporting vJass or am I misunderstanding you?

Yes JassHelper will be included with the editor. You can see it in the patch notes.

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/bnet/topic/20765647087

Also, can I edit the thread title to better represent what seems to be the new issue?

What error are you getting now?

Level 2
Okay, I'm getting strange behaviour now. If I remove the globals tag from my trigger, enable the trigger, then re-add it and THEN save, it doesn't give me a compile error when saving. If I try to enable the trigger without removing the globals tag, it gives me a compile error.

So I guess my question here is this: Does the compiler only check saved code?
I don't remember it behaving like that, but I do suppose it's been a long time.

Either way, I guess the original issue is solved now. Thanks for the responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.