• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Soldiers and Generals - 1.11

Soldiers and Generals 1.11

33tja0z.jpg

Story
The campaign is a fictional story set during the war between England and France in the late 18th century. The resources of both nations are nearly exhausted. Military morale is getting lower. Despited numerous uprisings, George III of England refuses to withdraw his soldiers from the French front. Instead, he orders even more soldiers into the fray, including the greenhorn General Deklam.
Gameplay
The campaign has a unique gameplay. In each battle you control your army through the direction of your General. Instead of directly controlling individual soldiers, you use the General to give out simple orders to companies of soldiers. This allows you to easily control large numbers of troops.
Screenshots
zn39dg.jpg

9fmlb9.jpg
Changelog

1.11:
------

*Fixed a typo (map 2).
*Deployment area shown with flags (map 7).
*All of the maps are visible at the campaign screen (so if you stuck then you can skip that mission).

1.1:
-----

Most important changes:

[General]
*English grammer fixed for map descriptions and cinematics.
*Fixed bayonet charges: now you won't see that your musketeers are running back.
*Now every custom icons have their DISBTN part.

[Other]
Map 1, 3 and 9:
*The book models on the table are fixed, now they don't melt into each other (map 1).
*I replaced some indoor doodads for map1, 3 and 9.

Map 2:
*Deployment area is shown with flags.
*If you defeat the rebels and you are on the hill, then you don't have to move down and back to capture it.

Map 4:
*Many little changes, the map is now easier and more polished.

Map 5:
*Cuirassiers now have collasion, so they won't melt into each other.
*Fixed a bug with the enemy.

Map 6:
*I removed the wind effect, so now the map is not so laggy.

Map 7:
*Added bayonet charge.
*Many other little changes, now the map is more polished.

Map 9:
*Better ending.
Credits
Musketeer, Grenadier and Dragoon - BlinkBoy
Cannon - MadseN
General - Lord_T
Marshal - Tenebrae
Militia, Rebel leader and Cannon (map8) - Mechanical Man
Rebel/Jäger and Cavalier - Cavman
Horse - iristle
Camp - Kitabatake
Tent - communist_orc
General Riedrick - Ket
Cannon (icon) - The_Silent
Cloth (icon) - Mc !
Armed (icon) - UnholyDobry
Rifle missile - Talon the Mage
Cannon missile - WILLTHEALMIGHTY
Doodads in Marshal's room - Nasrudin, xXm0rpH3usXx, Kit
Born²Modificate - campaign menu
-ALPHA- - grammer corrector and model finder
Saphiree - beta tester
Won-Qu - terrain and trigger help
Sadvisor - terrain help
Have fun!
Keywords:
soldier, general, battle, war, campaign
Contents

Soldiers and Generals - 1.11 (Campaign)

Reviews
16:12, 28th Jun 2009 Linaze: Soldiers and Generals is a strategical campaign about the war between England and France in the 18th century. The gameplay was quite entertaining and original, but it was a bit too hard at the moment. I also think making...
Level 13
Finally : do you really think rebels would outnumber the British army like they do now ? There are nearly 2 rebels for one soldier !

Well, its fictive story, so maybe its because of that ;D Almost whole the english army is in france anyway i guess ;D

I just beat it. it was really fun but when you have to ambush the french battalion with the grenadiers. that was really hard!

Dunno about in this ver, but when i was testing that map in the beta, i too had much trouble with it. The only map which i really was about to go crazy about. It should be easier now than it was back then tho.

agree, the second mission was too hard

Review:
[-] Second Mission to Hard: if you reduce the number of french soldiers or increase the number of grenadiers, it will make the mission much beter
[+-] Few Cinematics: If you only add more cinematics between the missions...
[+] Awesome Gameplay: Like the demo version the gameplay is pretty unique, controling your armies using only one unit, incredible
[+] Improved Terrain: Looking at the demo version and now, the terrain was drasticaly improved, good work

Rating: 4/5

Level 1
looks awesome and i saw lots of good things about the teaser but its forbidden :/ and i REALLY want to play it

Level 5
Great campaign, it's unique.
But on the second mission, most of the time the grenades didn't even work and they did no damage to any of the french units. Maybe it was just me but it's pretty hard.

Level 6
OMFG! AWSOME GAME!

just a few things.

1.secound mission could use another group of greniediers.

2.this is the most strategic map in warcraft 3 however i have a few problems.

1. the map needs to be longer with more troops this would add strategy to the game.
2. the commands need to be refined. meaning after my charging muskets breach the first line i should be able to regroup them, and there should be a fall back button. finally infantry should have the abillity to go into square (used against cavalry)

3.This would make an awsome multiplayer map if you had a long map and each person was a field marshall controlling a company of men at say waterloo!

PWH

PWH

Level 4
I like the Combat System, but theres some fails in the military...
The Enemies in the first mission aint an army, not more that a battalion or so...
And a Marshall cant promote ANYONE to general, its the highest rank in the military :S

Level 7
map4

okley this did kinda suck tried 2nd battle (ambush) for 2 hr and coudlnt even do it with cheat...

Map 4 is not that hard, just order your soldiers to take cover before the french will fire, and while they reloading order them to attack again...
You see a blue orb over your soldier's head if they are behind cover. The french will still try to shoot them, but most likely they will miss it.

37172508.jpg

Level 4
wow! my favorite campaign yet.. just that we could use a little more men for our side cuz it took me a while to kill the otherside.... but overall it was fun =)

Level 7
I now working on version 1.1.

EDIT: Map updated!

1.1 does not contains any new elements, but the maps are more polished and the grammer is corrected by -ALPHA-.
If you find any bugs plz report it, thanks.

Last edited:
Level 14
Hey, i loved the campaign.
Some bugs: In the first battle, there was a squirrel named Dune Worm >_<.
After cannons run out of mana, no reload or anything?
Also, the ambush mission is impossible?

Level 7
Hey, i loved the campaign.
Some bugs: In the first battle, there was a squirrel named Dune Worm >_<.
After cannons run out of mana, no reload or anything?
Also, the ambush mission is impossible?

I'll change the name of Dune Worm, thanks. :hohum:

The cannon have limited ammo, so it won't shoot anymore after the mana becomes 0 (except map 7 - there is no limit)

The ambushing mission is not hard, a little help:
-Don't attack the french company too early, only when they are in front of your grenadiers.
:fp: picture
-After your grenadiers attacked you have some time til the french react to the ambush... so order your soldiers to take cover asap, then hide with your general. The fusiliers will still try to attack your grenadiers, but they will miss most of the shots, and when they reloading you can attack again... Just repeat this until they all die.

Level 6
well, i tried it out but i only managed to get to the grenadier part. The grenades they throw are useless and then the french army splits in 2 parts, killing both my companies slowly, but effectively.

Apart from that, i think this is pure awesome, and gets a well deserved 5/5

(and fix some typos too :p)

Level 7
well, i tried it out but i only managed to get to the grenadier part. The grenades they throw are useless and then the french army splits in 2 parts, killing both my companies slowly, but effectively.

Apart from that, i think this is pure awesome, and gets a well deserved 5/5

(and fix some typos too :p)

Hmm, maybe I should make a walkthrough video for map 4 :xxd:

Btw where did you find typos?

Level 7
ambush mission is too easy!!! i know that tactic... i have watched that on a movie.... attack only when the whole company is inside the trap!!! anyways, good map!!!

Finally someone who understands that map :thumbs_up:.
Yes, the idea came from a movie, The Patriot.

EDIT: campaign updated.
*Dune worm typo fixed
*Deployment area shown with flags at map 7
*All of the maps are visible at campaign screen, so if you stuck then you can skip that map.

Last edited:
Level 6
Map 6 Clemance Bycok is the easiest.... i have completed the campaign except the last.... i almost got them, but when i see more than 3/4 of my army killed i need to use the "Invincibility Cheat". I have seen the same ambush tactic on more than 3 movies including "The Patriot"

Level 4
Hey thanks for making this, I'll try it out tonight! kinda seems along the lines of what I'm working on for the civil war.

I must find that cannon model, it looks exactly like the 12lb Napoleons and parot rifles used at Gettysburg!

Hmm madsen's cannon doesn't look like the one in the map... did you modify the textures and vertexes in yours?
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/members/madsen/#userresources

Will get back with a review and some rep after some testing is done.

Thanks for adding a contribution into the classical strategy genre!

Edit: Found it thanks to citromy at:
http://xgm.ru/files.php?section=wc3&do=search&fc=2&perpage=50&page=4

Last edited:
Level 4
As for a review:

Cinematics/Story: Good, nothing too special... I feel the dialogue wasn't all that entertaining, camera angles weren't an issue for me, I thought more than enough were used. Couldn't find any glaring grammar mistakes...but I didn't look for them all that hard. I didn't really feel like I was fighting for anything special. The epilogue was by far the best part of the story...albeit a little cheesy.

Difficulty: Though I enjoyed the challenges, there was little I could do to improve upon my strategies. I spend a good 3 hours trying to beat the ambush mission on hard, even trying to glitch out the enemy units to no avail. The grenades weren't very effective in the ambush mission either, even when they all appeared to be direct hits. I tried going into the "guard" mode while my troops reloaded, but took heavy losses whenever I popped out of it. The other missions were fairly easily beat on hard, due to the simplistic combat. That said, I would always take extremely heavy losses, to the map's credit.

Game-play: I enjoyed the ability to command so many units, but the lack of ability to retreat, rotate my lines, or use any sort of terrain as an advantage was rather bothersome. The game-play was dull due to the very simplistic combat. It was rather frustrating to have to almost always attack my opponents when we both had the same range, my units often ran around in strange formations, and flanking was rather hard to maneuver.

Terrain: Could use a major improvement, I really felt like I was playing the horrible environment of Rome or Medieval: Total War. So more of an arcade feel than a realistic battlefield. I don't know if that was intended or not, so I'll reserve harsher judgment.

He used Madsen's cannon only for one map, if I remember correct.
And for the 12 pound cannons (which you see on the screenshot) a model from this site (scroll down, you will find it)

Ah yes I found some time to play through the campaign.

He did only use Maden's for the first map, then later on used the one you linked.

Thank you so much for providing me with that resource. +rep

Level 6
needs fixing. Gtrenadiers are crap. SHould be able to aim grenades and make them do mroe dmg. Ambush level is 2 ahrd. The abttles are waaaaaaay to ahrd.

I could only win lvl 1.

needs baalncign work on that. For the one where you gotta kill the nobles. Its justc rap. dRAGOONS RUN EVERYWHERE IN SINGLES THENF RM NOWHERE LIKE 4 GUYS JUST KILL YOUR BOSS. bALANCE is due.

Level 15
looks good i'll try it.

cool scenario where can you find these models??i plan on making a map like this but instead with calinians versus germans.also show me in deep detail what tools i need and what triggers to use and in a step by step format please!also i might need someone's help due to the fact that i am bad at remembering authors.

i agree with lsk lvl 2 is freakin damn hell imposible too many enemies and you can only tell your grenadiers to throw grenades once and their health is way too crappy.oh and they only have 6 health.are you freakin serious!!!!!!!!!!!

no srsly.

sorry.but good map i followed what guy said but i could only kill a few before all my troops get killed

also where did you get recruit from??

as i can't find his model.

sorry.well can anyone tell me where i can find these models or how he did the triggering?i plan on having a campaign like this one.

i don't get your signature though.are the emotes drunk or are you?

and i took thirty minutes off from this one and the previous one.also please locate some of the models here in a link.

and actually in the very first mission your infanterie could retreat.

orrrrrr pm me.

does anyone know of any canon model other than morter???

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 5
im sorry but this is possibly the BEST campaign on the hive i loved it from start to finish the models are like the olden times, and surprisingly when i was looking around the hive i was looking for a campaign exactly like this in the musket era, 5/5 man (+repped to) amazing job i still cant get over how awesome that was, cant believe some people are complaining this was awesome

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

2/5 Terrain - It was very bland, the use of blizzard cliffs took away from the immersion for me and in some areas you just use one type of terrain in a stright line. The battlefields did look alright though.

3/5 Idea - I like the idea of squad based combat, and it was challenging on normal difficulty. The first map can be won a bit to easily, I simply charged everything in and won.

3/5 Balancing - The battles were quite well balanced, although some were a bit to easy (refer to comment in Idea).

4/5 Storyline - The story seemed well thought out and had a clear beginning and end. Things moved a little fast though, a few more cinematics would have been nice to deepen the player's connection with the main character.

Overall 3/5 - Good game, the terrain could be improved and the objectives for the battle with the austrians and the amubish could have been a bit more clear. I can't wait to see if you one day make another campaign like this.

Additional Comments:

I attempted to beat the "Ambush the French" map about 5 times, I never did manage to win. The battle against the austrians took me quite awhile to, but I eventually realized that you just need to slowly move the cannons forward and let them kill the enemy.