1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Soldiers and Generals - 1.11

Submitted by dubbed
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Soldiers and Generals 1.11

[​IMG]

Story
The campaign is a fictional story set during the war between England and France in the late 18th century. The resources of both nations are nearly exhausted. Military morale is getting lower. Despited numerous uprisings, George III of England refuses to withdraw his soldiers from the French front. Instead, he orders even more soldiers into the fray, including the greenhorn General Deklam.

Gameplay
The campaign has a unique gameplay. In each battle you control your army through the direction of your General. Instead of directly controlling individual soldiers, you use the General to give out simple orders to companies of soldiers. This allows you to easily control large numbers of troops.

Screenshots
[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Changelog

1.11:
------

*Fixed a typo (map 2).
*Deployment area shown with flags (map 7).
*All of the maps are visible at the campaign screen (so if you stuck then you can skip that mission).

1.1:
-----

Most important changes:

[General]
*English grammer fixed for map descriptions and cinematics.
*Fixed bayonet charges: now you won't see that your musketeers are running back.
*Now every custom icons have their DISBTN part.

[Other]
Map 1, 3 and 9:
*The book models on the table are fixed, now they don't melt into each other (map 1).
*I replaced some indoor doodads for map1, 3 and 9.

Map 2:
*Deployment area is shown with flags.
*If you defeat the rebels and you are on the hill, then you don't have to move down and back to capture it.

Map 4:
*Many little changes, the map is now easier and more polished.

Map 5:
*Cuirassiers now have collasion, so they won't melt into each other.
*Fixed a bug with the enemy.

Map 6:
*I removed the wind effect, so now the map is not so laggy.

Map 7:
*Added bayonet charge.
*Many other little changes, now the map is more polished.

Map 9:
*Better ending.

Credits
Musketeer, Grenadier and Dragoon - BlinkBoy
Cannon - MadseN
General - Lord_T
Marshal - Tenebrae
Militia, Rebel leader and Cannon (map8) - Mechanical Man
Rebel/Jäger and Cavalier - Cavman
Horse - iristle
Camp - Kitabatake
Tent - communist_orc
General Riedrick - Ket
Cannon (icon) - The_Silent
Cloth (icon) - Mc !
Armed (icon) - UnholyDobry
Rifle missile - Talon the Mage
Cannon missile - WILLTHEALMIGHTY
Doodads in Marshal's room - Nasrudin, xXm0rpH3usXx, Kit
Born²Modificate - campaign menu
-ALPHA- - grammer corrector and model finder
Saphiree - beta tester
Won-Qu - terrain and trigger help
Sadvisor - terrain help

Have fun!

Keywords:
soldier, general, battle, war, campaign
Contents

Soldiers and Generals - 1.11 (Campaign)

Reviews
16:12, 28th Jun 2009 Linaze: Soldiers and Generals is a strategical campaign about the war between England and France in the 18th century. The gameplay was quite entertaining and original, but it was a bit too hard at the moment. I also think making...
  1. Pyroproctos

Pyroproctos

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    I liked this map, but I have some suggestions, me too :
    -The alone cannon is really too weak. You should improve its AoE and its damages.
    -Cannons WERE frightened and DID area damages, because they used to fill the bullets with gunpowder. (yes, at the age of cannons, they had gunpowder :p)
    -I know a human being is totally free of its acts, but would it be possible to give "Attack" orders ? For example, making the musketeers shoot to an area. Would be nice.
    -It's probably what makes all the gameplay, but I found the cooldown of the "Move/Hold" orders was too long, especially for the cavalry : they go running like crazy, and you can't stop them.
    -Would be nice the enemy had a special AI for the battle, because the rebels just sit on the other side, waiting to get splashed away by the cannon.
    -And, yes, while being a french and looking at your map, I laughed !

2. saphiree

saphiree

Resources:
    Resources:
    I think you should just make more cannons at this point. Maybe one or two more?

It was first later on they got "exploding" cannon balls. And they were not called cannon balls but something else, which i dont remember. They dint have at this point...

Naah, i think this would remove the gameplay A LOT from this map.

If you decrease cooldown too much, its getting too easy.

Agreed. An AI would be so nice :D

Lol? XD

3. dubbed

dubbed

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    OK, I updated the map. Update contains bug fixes and I also tried to improve terrain (but dont expect much, iam very bad at terraining).

4. saphiree

saphiree

Resources:
    Resources:
    Sounds good :D Btw, my advice would be. Now i dont really care that much about terrain, bur if you really want it good looking, then get a terrainer which can do the terrain for you ;D

Btw. You still have the iam typo. Its I am. In two words.

Havent time to play the update right now, gotta go to bed. But i'll do it tomorrow :D

EDIT: Okay played it, and it looks fine. But theres still some things which need to be done better.

1. When you've completed the battle you get to the campaign screen instead of the next map. You can fix this with a simple trigger
    • Next map
      • Events
        • Map initialization
      • Conditions
      • Actions
        • Game - Set the next level to Maps\MapName.w3m

Im not 100% on this tho...

2. Did you remove the interface in the cinematics? Cus when you "completed" it, the dialog where you can choose from continue and quit campaign is invisible.

3. You still have some grammar issues.

4. Just a little suggestion. I can see you have already made some nice terrain outside the battleground, but can you maybe also make some bushes or something on the battlefield?
    In future you could also make some trenchs around the map. That would be awesome :D

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  5. Hugomath

Hugomath

Resources:
    Resources:
    Very nice map :thumbs_up:
    But you could make more commands to the troops like one that make all the musketman(or millitia) fire they weapons and their shots will be like the "shockwave" ability.
    Give 4/5

6. Samlag

Samlag

Resources:
    Resources:
    A great map if you work on it some more!
    I realy enjoyed playing it.

7. Exilus4

Exilus4

Resources:
    Resources:
    i think if u can added more maps iam mean your campion more it will be fun.

nice maps iam giv u 5/5.

did u want to join us IceFrog Making Dota Maps?
    iam think u are the great one making maps
    My email:Exilus4@hotmail.com

8. saphiree

saphiree

Resources:
    Resources:
    Ahh just saw, i forgot to give you 5/5 after you improved terrain! Shame on me! :O HIT ME XD

Btw, how far are you now? :D

Its a Demo your moron -_- Its so we can try how the campaign works, not play it.

9. izaiphovias

izaiphovias

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Wow! Never seen something like that before! The gameplay is awesome, the way you control your army is very original. Shame its only a demo, but i hope you will release the complete version soon.
    for a demo version: 5/5
    for a campaing: 4/5 (reduce the dificult)

10. Pyroproctos

Pyroproctos

Resources:
    Skins:
    Resources:
    Yeah, something like, that, I wanted to say. Because, for now, the only way I have to shoot on those nasty rebels is to bring my Musketmen under their fire...
    Or, at least, would you PLEASE add something that would cause the rebels charge you, or walk toward ?
    Also, it would be really nice to add more shots to the canon ! (or simply, more canons, as everybody says !)

Finally : do you really think rebels would outnumber the British army like they do now ? There are nearly 2 rebels for one soldier !

11. izaiphovias

izaiphovias

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Looks like the campaing is finaly complete, i'm going to test it right now...

12. Itachi76

Itachi76

Resources:
    Resources:
    I just beat it. it was really fun but when you have to ambush the french battalion with the grenadiers. that was really hard!

13. saphiree

saphiree

Resources:
    Resources:
    Well, its fictive story, so maybe its because of that ;D Almost whole the english army is in france anyway i guess ;D

Dunno about in this ver, but when i was testing that map in the beta, i too had much trouble with it. The only map which i really was about to go crazy about. It should be easier now than it was back then tho.

14. izaiphovias

izaiphovias

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    agree, the second mission was too hard

Review:
    my review
    [-] Second Mission to Hard: if you reduce the number of french soldiers or increase the number of grenadiers, it will make the mission much beter
    [+-] Few Cinematics: If you only add more cinematics between the missions...
    [+] Awesome Gameplay: Like the demo version the gameplay is pretty unique, controling your armies using only one unit, incredible
    [+] Improved Terrain: Looking at the demo version and now, the terrain was drasticaly improved, good work

Rating: 4/5

15. vegetation

vegetation

Resources:
    Resources:
    This map (well campaign) seems really good, but i can't download it (403-forbidden)

Can anyone link me a working... link

16. xerick

xerick

Resources:
    Resources:
    looks awesome and i saw lots of good things about the teaser but its forbidden :/ and i REALLY want to play it

17. Tha Flamestorm

Tha Flamestorm

Resources:
    Resources:
    What the heck?theres a bug on vbulletin i think, i want the next ver BUT I CANNOT DL IT D:

18. saphiree

saphiree

Resources:
    Resources:
    Seems like this problem is all around the page. You gotta wait till the admins get this fixed i guess.

19. dubbed

dubbed

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Campaign

I'll polish that map for the next version. :thumbs_up:
    And the grammer problems will be fixed too.

20. Hadhafang

Hadhafang

Resources:
    Resources:
    Great campaign, it's unique.
    But on the second mission, most of the time the grenades didn't even work and they did no damage to any of the french units. Maybe it was just me but it's pretty hard.