• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Solar System v1.1

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Solar System v1.1

This is our solar system scaled down and sped up! It is in constant motion. Featuring all the planets(9), (all the way down to Neptune. Pluto isn't a planet, it in an asteroid in an outer belt called the Kaiser belt that is too far out for my system to reach) all named moons(39), and 39 asteroids in the asteroid belt fro a total of 84 moving units around the sun. This system is completely GUI can can very easily be picked up and changed. All located leaks are removed. Enjoy!

P.S. There was on old one released that was not as advanced as this one, and it ran extremely slow on some computers ad crashed others with very few it could actually run. The new one work on way more computers and you should have nothing to worry about.

Keywords:
Solar System, Star, Space, Huge, Template, wisp wheel, Sun, Supermj
Contents

Solar System v1.1 (Map)

Reviews
20:27, 9th Aug 2008 PurplePoot: While this is indeed interesting, it should really be in the Spells category: that's where systems are meant to be (sorry for the naming ambiguities). Feel free to resubmit it there at any time.

M

20:27, 9th Aug 2008
PurplePoot: While this is indeed interesting, it should really be in the Spells category: that's where systems are meant to be (sorry for the naming ambiguities).

Feel free to resubmit it there at any time.

Level 8
nice work! 4\5

it's annoying that all the planets have human or ork soundsets :(

the moons are mostly too big i guess and they all have the same size

spend a bit time working on the map and it will be great!

Level 8
The map appears to have a leak somewhere. After about 5-10 mins runtime it slows down to an unplayable speed.

I'll try and find the leak [I have a passing interest in trying to make something out of your excellent system]. You said:
great template that many can use
Does this mean that nyone can use this as long as they give you a bucketload of rep and credits?

Draz

EDIT: I don't understand this trigger:
  • Animation - Change (Picked unit) flying height to (Random real number between 200.00 and 330.00) at 1000.00
I think that this resets the height of all the planets to a number between 1200 and 1330. Am I right?

Last edited:
Level 13
Nice map indeed. Seems to work allright, but personally I would have changed the model of the asteroids or add a trigger to make them turn, because they fly around the sun with the "tail" always in the same direction. Maybe you should change the model to the one you used for the moons of Jupiter, they seem to be fine.
5/5 anyways :infl_thumbs_up:

Level 13
Well, letting the tale of a comet go after it won't realy be that realistic XD as a comets tale goes away from the sun (just a little hint ^^)

They aren't comets (giants pieces of ice) but asteroids (giant pieces of rock). Slight diference, but asteroid's tail go behind them.

Level 8
I think your confusing the issue, supermj already said [and anybody who has even the remotest interest in the solar system would know] that the tails of asteroids point away from the sun.
Comets were mentioned, but I think the main challenge there would be making the highly eliptical orbits work, for the planets we can get away with a circular model, but comets are rather more difficult.
If I sound snappy at all, it is not deliberate, and I apologise.
N.B. where they have tails of course, not all asteroids have tails

Level 13
The "tails" of asteroids, if they have any, are tiny pieces of rock that brake from them and go at a slower speed than the original, so they remain BEHIND them. Check the asteroid belt, it does not have particles heading away from the Sun, but remaining in a circle.
Comets do have the tail heading away from the Sun, because they are normally made of ice (Not water ice, could be any other substance) and when they come near any star, they start melting, creating their tail which indeed, I repeat myself, heads AWAY from the Sun.

Level 13
Just to discuss some more... Solar wind is to wide to influence a small particle in first place, and in second place, the Sun's gravity is quite superior to solar wind. We should move this to offtopic :p

Level 23
Well... the tail of a comet is actualy being blown away by solar winds, theoretically you could sail on solar winds, (but that's another case) and well.. I can't remember ever seeing a asteroid with a tail (except in movies) if you know any, please, send a image in any way ^^.

Level 12
I was on vacation for the last week.

To put the tail matter to a rest, it is simply a matter of how much mass it has, where it was tossed out into space (side of object), and what material it is. On an asteroid, it usually will remain perfectly stable and leave no tail, but if there was recently a collision, and it magically decided to stay in orbit, the particles -or tail, if you prefer- should either be pulled into the sun because they should not have the same mass and speed as the asteroid, or be thrown out infinitely into space for billions of years until they reach their next destiny. And an asteroid's "tail" would only last for a short time and are not even worth mentioning.
For a comet, you should expect the tail to fall behind it and then sink in towards the sun. (Remember these are particle we're talking about, they don't just trail and dissipate. Mass is never lost or gained.) And comets are generally made of any frozen material. For example, the most famous one is pluto.

The tail will NOT just float behind it save a one in a trillion possibility of a weird collision.

Note: Anything I told you is what I've learned from science channel that is highest probability. Also remember that this is an infinite universe.

-Supermj

Level 12
Oh yeah, and you said something a bout solar wind "blowing" particles away. That is only true if you define blowing as burning one side from high radiation exposure and turning it into an engine. Space in a vacuum that does not allow any sound or wind to go through it.

PS: A comet's tail would only get an increases in thermal energy, but it should just turn it into a liquid that will be pulled in by a greater force (gravity).

Level 23
I know that space is a vacuum, I like the universe and stuff, so I know some things about it, I just said blow becouse well.. wind blows XD, and it's called solar winds, but well, they do have the same effect as the wind has on a horse flower (or however they may be called in english)

Level 12
lol. The effects are completely different. All you have to remember is that on earth it is the moving of air particles due to a convection current, and in space it is ultraviolet and gamma radiation. No particles involved, no particles to involve.

Last edited:
Level 9
Um... I like what you've done except for one issue -
It's as laggy as hell! And I was playing singleplayer :/
I doubt there is much you can do to fix that but yeh, that seriously is laaaaaaaaaaaaagy.

Level 12
hey guys, I feel the need to inform you that this will have to be moved to the spells section, but seeing as it got rejected there last time, and I got flamed, I think I'd just be best if I let the project die out when the mods remove it. So if your watching this, please download it now. If you need a copy please PM, but high school is take up so much of my life now I don't really have much time at all for wc3, guys:(

soo... best wishes,
-supermj