• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Social Stealth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I'm not very active on this forum. But I like to work with the editor from time to time. I dont often finish my projects. So I'm throwing this onto the forum for information on what i'm hoping to achieve with my next map.

If anyone finds this map worthy of picking up themselves, you are welcome to do so. So if anyone picks this project on for themselves, i can only be happy that this might just see a final build. (A bit of credit for the idea might not be bad though.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Social Stealth:

As you might have guessed, this idea is somewhat based of Asassins Creed and games like Metal Gear.

The game takes place in a populated city. a lethal Asassin has been hired to kill the king. Normally the king would be safely gaurded in his castle, but today he will be showing himself in public, this is the asassins chance to take him out.
Several units in the game will be controlled by players, but there will also be alot of AI walking around, most of them are likely regular villagers.
The role of the asassin(s) will always be in the hands of players.

There are three playable classes to this game; The Gaurd, The Villager and The Asassin.

The good:

Gaurds
Its the gaurds mission to protect the king and patroll/manage the city. When the king has been killed, the Asassin wins and everyone else LOSES.
The gaurds have the ability to check players for their ID when their standing in checkpoint area’s. Every player carries an ID except for the Asassin, so he will not be able to pass through active checkpoints unnoticed.
Gaurds are allowed to enter otherwise restricted area’s like shortcuts through the city, etc.
Also, gaurds will have a ranking system. Every time a gaurd patrolls and manages the city he will recieve points. 10 points will get you a new promotion and every promotion unlocks a new skill, helping them defend the king, manage the city and capture the asassin.

Villagers
The villagers are there to populate the city. They will wander around town, keep an eye out for trouble and just simply make out the crowd. Dont worry, this class wont be boring.
The villager will also have a ranking system. Instead of doing the “right” things in the city. Villagers will at the start recieve quests like going to a certain spot in town or remaining in a certain district for some time. Completing these quests earns them points. Every 10 points will grant them a new rank with new ways of keeping a close eye out for trouble.
Ofcourse only player villagers will be given any kind of points or promotions.

The evil

The asassin:
The first to be said is that the Asassin looks like a regular villager, its the gaurd's duty to find out who the asassin is and kill him.
The asassin is the guy thats going to crash the party. He’s the one thats been hired to kill the king, but if he wants to do so he must first get close enough to him.
The streets will be patrolled by gaurds and there will be several checkpoints on the way to the king. These checkpoints are area’s where players are checked on their ID, which every player has except for the Asassin. Going through an active checkpoint would be a sure death for him.
However, there are ways for him to bypass this. The asassin has the ability to create distractions for the gaurds by wreaking havok amongst the villagers for example. A good example would be by killing a villager in public or stealing from a businessman.

Also, an Asassin is able to disguise himself as a gaurd and even taking the gaurds ID so whenever checked by another gaurd, they will see its Player X rather than wicked Player Y the so called asassin.
Ofcourse gaurd players respawn and it shouldnt take long for the gaurds to become aware of the asassin’s disguise, so they can start checking every gaurd untill they find their killer.

Ability’s in short:

Gaurds:
- Can check other people’s player ID when in checkpoint area’s.
- Are allowed to go through otherwise restricted area’s.
- Doing the right things like killing an Asassin or patrolling and managing the city gains them points, every 10 points gives them a new rank with a new ability. Managing the city earns more points than killing the Asassin.
- Are not allowed to kill townsfolk. Doing so results in minus 3 points, meaning you can be demoted from your rank if your a really bad boy.
- Must protect the king.
- When a gaurd has been killed, the other gaurd players will be notified of this with a ping on the minimap of the kill’s location.
- Have a gaurd ID with their player name.

Villagers:

- Walk around the map, they are given waypoints to go to or the assignment to stay at a location for a certain time. When the villager reaches the waypoint or completes the assignment, they will earn points. Every 10 points they will earn a new trust level that allows them more and more to interact with the world and gaurds. AI villagers will not gain points, they will most likely just be randomly wandering around through the city.
- Can see gaurds on the minimap. (when high enough level)
- Whenever the villager sees trouble, the villager can yell out to the gaurds, all the gaurds will then recieve a ping on their minimap of the villagers location.
- When high enough level, they will turn into peacekeepers, giving them a blade and the ability to manage the city like a gaurd. Killing innocent townsfolk immediatly demotes them back to villager.
- Carries an ID.

Asassin:
- Looks like a normal villager, the gaurds cant just pick him off the streets. Gaurds will have to keep their eyes peeled for sudden happenings or movements in the crowd.
- Does not have an ID, walking through checkpoints is very dangerous.
- Is allowed to kill townsfolk, steal items and other ways to create uproar or ways to get attention.
- Can steal a killed gaurd’s suit and his ID so whenever he is checked, he will be identified as the gaurd player he just killed.
- Has to kill king to win.

Level 5
Hmm well as nice as the idea is, how will you go about hiding the names that pop up, so the guards can't look for the assassin's name and kill them, also it won't be hard to spot the villager who isn't walking like the rest. You gotta have some advanced AI to make the assassins more unnoticeable and players don't behave like the guard AI in Assassin's Creed. Also the villagers seem very boring until they reach peacekeepers. Giving them jobs to do, such as selling things or they could help the assassins, or guards, so that they can either tell of the kings location, or tell the guards of the assassin's location. That would give the villagers two paths to go to. Be a Peacekeeper, or a Unlawful citizen. If you manage to get this working, it would be a fun game.

Level 24
This idea sounds great, but i think it might get a little boring.
Try add more interactive objects.
For example if you get a rope you can climb over a wall, and if you get an apple you can throw it on the ground or on people to distract them.
A funny idea would be if you could hide as a barrel.

Level 3
Hmm well as nice as the idea is, how will you go about hiding the names that pop up, so the guards can't look for the assassin's name and kill them, also it won't be hard to spot the villager who isn't walking like the rest. You gotta have some advanced AI to make the assassins more unnoticeable and players don't behave like the guard AI in Assassin's Creed. Also the villagers seem very boring until they reach peacekeepers. Giving them jobs to do, such as selling things or they could help the assassins, or guards, so that they can either tell of the kings location, or tell the guards of the assassin's location. That would give the villagers two paths to go to. Be a Peacekeeper, or a Unlawful citizen. If you manage to get this working, it would be a fun game.

The way the AI villagers walk will indeed become a problem. Yet i am hoping i can set this right by ordering them to move to a random place on the map. (I will need to be sure they wont be able to create paths through buildings or unintented area's. (Pathing blockers ftw)

I am currently just trying to get this map to work properly. When it does, i'll keep adding features to make the game more enjoyable before I release it.

Also, dont get your hopes up. I'm not THAT good at the editor, so i'm not certain if this project will see a release. I can only hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.