• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

So I want to make an arena . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
I've been thinking about making an arena type game (heros jump into an arena and kill each other) but I want to make it good. Not just another "Insert Famous Anime/TV Character Here" and "Mash the Invincible Uber Tome" there. Instead of making the game based on how fast you can creep and access hidden areas known only to people who spend too much time playing, I want to make it skill based.

Over dinner, I came up with 4 concept classes and what mechanics would make the game easy to play and difficult to master. I am also planning on basing this around a nature/night elf theme.

The Ranger

Major Gameplay Features:
Uses a bow, pet, and traps as primary damage.
Arrows don't home in, ie: the ranger has no attack button. Just a skill that shoot an arrow in a straight line and deals damage to the first thing it collides with. (Of course the arrows could be modded with like, fire, posion, increased speed, maybe even a multi shot.)
Doesn't directly command pet, but issues attack orders.
Traps would function like in Guild Wars, easily interupted by normal attacks.

The Rogue

Major Gameplay Features:
Stealth! No really, except its not going to be, hit wind walk, approach, backstab for 5k. Instead, your character will be transparent and not targettable until someone spots you or you break your stealth. Sort of a D&D style, Hide and Move Silently vs. Spot and Listen checks. You can still be hit by an archer's arrow if they guess your position, or a druids AoE spell, but a warrior cant just hit you in the face.
Combat Feature: I cannot decide whether i like the GW attack chain style or the WoW combo point style. (This is one of the things I'm asking for suggestions on)
Detection and Disarming of traps.

The Druid

Major Gameplay Features:
The major (and only starting) spellcasting class.
Some spells not only require mana but "Lumber" as well, how do you get lumber? The Druid can summon wisps to farm trees for their energy, the number of wisps and how much "Lumber" you can have depends on level and items etc.
Keeping in the druid theme, he won't run around casting fireball, meteor shower, etc. his spells will focus on manipulating the battlefield, IE: creating/destroying barriers, summoning treants. Of course he will have some nukes, like an earthquake or something along those lines.

The Warrior

Major Gameplay Features:
The only starting STR class.
I don't want this character to focus on smashing, or slicing, or hacking, but rather have a decent mix of offensive and defensive skills suitable for a duelist of sorts.
Parrying/Blocking, will be a major feature. Since all attacks will be a skill, not autoattack, this is easy to implement =)

OTHERS:
These things may not be in version 1.0, but they are ideas I would like to eventually implement.
  • Mounts
  • Evasion System
  • Jumping
  • Skill Synergies

I don't know if anyone will actually take the time to read this mess, but if you do, and care to respond, I'd love to know:
If you would actually play the game.
If the mechanics sound too complex or unfair in some areas.
What you think the replay value would be.

All critiques, as long as they are constructive are welcome.

Thanks in advance ~ihatecapslock

Level 12
The idea sounds pretty good but i suggest that you focus on classes and multiple choices more.Even if the mechanics are flawless,i dont think that the map will have a high replay value with only four classes.You could split every class into sub-classes,for example a Rogue can become a Combat/Assassination/Subtelty Rogue,each sub-class would have its unique skills,or split the Hero types into classes for example:

Str Fighter

-Warrior
-Death Knight
-Paladin

Agi Fighter

-Rogue
-Monk

Int Spellcaster

-Druid
-Pyromancer
-Necromancer

Agi Range

-Hunter
-Ranger

Just a suggestion though,i dont think this is the best class tree you should use i just mentioned the first 10 classes i could think of.

So the mechanics you are using for Warriors could easily be used on Str Fighters,Rogues on Agi Fighters etc...
This would greatly increase the replay value of your map.

Last edited:
Level 5
Great idea.
About the rouge point thing you should use Guild Wars style chains.
But instead of having long cooldowns on the really good moves just have a "You must use this many of this moves before it refreshes."

Besides that gl

*Edit* It would be great if the druid gaining bonuses because of what he knows about the land and how he minipulates it.

Level 8
Freakin' awesome idea. I agree with Japut3h, more classes. People like a choice. It is really good to see someone who is aiming for a moe uniques game play experience.

I suggest that you use the Particle System v2 for your projectile so that you can get realistic projectile movement, or make your own system.

I would like to see a nature theme in action. In my experience, they are not as common as they should be.

Status
Not open for further replies.