• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Sludge Fen

made for Hive Cup 2021
The Venture Company has setup a small research facility nearby displacing and angering the local centaur clan.

Neutral buildings
  • 1 Tavern
  • 1 Goblin Merchants
  • 1 Goblin Laboratory
  • 2 Mercenary camps (Lordaeron Summer)
  • 1 Marketplace
  • 3 Expansions
Unit Breakdown
17 critters, 112 creeps, 22 camps
  • 6 green camps
  • 12 orange camps
  • 4 red camps
Total: 40
Permanent: 12
Charged: 8
Power up: 20
  • 1x 6 o'clock expo
    • Red, Level 21
    • Random level 5 charged item
  • 1x marketplace
    • Red, Level 22
    • Random level 3 charged item
    • Random level 1 power up
  • 1x goblin lab
    • Orange, Level 18
    • Random level 4 charged item
  • 1x goblin merchant
    • Orange, level 17
    • Random level 3 charged item
  • 2x southern troll raiders
    • Orange, Level 11
    • Random level 2 permanent item
  • 2x sludge lumber
    • Green, Level 9
    • Random level 1 permanent item
  • 2x razormane scouting party
    • Green, Level 8
    • Random: Tome of Agi+2, Int+2, Str+2
  • 2x murloc camp
    • Orange, Level 13
    • Random: Replenishment Potion, Sentry Wards, Wand of Illusion
  • 2x mercenary camp
    • Orange, Level 16
    • Random level 3 permanent item
  • 2x north expo
    • Orange, Level 14
    • Random: Tome of Agi+2, Int+2, Str+2
  • 2x green centaur
    • Green, Level 8
    • Random level 2 charged item
  • 2x orange centaur
    • Orange, Level 12
  • 2x red centaur khan
    • Red, Level 24
    • Random level 6 permanent item
    • Random level 2 power up
    • Rune of Healing
207082-bfc82ef6b6470496fdf5f4a171dfc2f1.png
207081-c8f913716c6273df6e88311b01262c90.png
207079-cb3dad1cd0a73d49add6c6a6f2c7fe34.png
Previews
Contents

Sludge Fen (Map)

Reviews
mafe
So, what to make of this map? I'm not really sure. The judges of the recent contest rated this map harsher than I think it deserves: https://www.hiveworkshop.com/threads/hive-cup-2021-melee-mapping-contest-8-first-phase-results.336983/ It's true that...

mafe

Map Reviewer
Level 24
So, what to make of this map? I'm not really sure.
The judges of the recent contest rated this map harsher than I think it deserves:

It's true that not all itemdrops are as streamlined as they need to be for a ladder map. But they are not that far away from the standard as the judges made it sound.

Imho that's a general theme for the map. In many ways, it does a decent attempt at being ladder-worthy map, but it the final 10% of "perfection" are missing and there are some features which appear "cute" but ultimately are more likely to irritate ordinary wc3 players:
1. The terrain and tileset are overall good and creative, and there are some really nice locations, such as around and south of the market place. But then there are a few relatively lifeless and empty areas, with barely any tileset variation.
2. Some pockets near the edges of the map are "just there" with no relevance to gameplay. Maybe there used to be creeps there in earlier versions? I dont remember.
3. The 6 o'clock expansion: The creeps are completely defenseless against air, which can be abused.
4. The cacti create a lot of minor chokepoints, in areas where the map is quite narrow even without them.
5. Overall there is a huge amount of creeps, and imho at least either the orange or the green centaur camps in the north of the map could be removed. And then after that, the northern boundary of the map could be moved south, so that the map isnt larger than it needs to be. Since for a 1v1 map, the map is quite large already.

But creepcamps and layout look good to me. As mentioned before, some itemdrops could be improved, but they are not so extreme that an update would be absolutely necessary. Therefore map approved, even though making some updates in the future might still be good idea.