• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Slow internet connection due to two reasons.. [HELP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
As the title says... Could someone help me on tweaks regarding the title..

I'm on a 2Mbps HSDPA(3.5G) wireless connection... My browsing is fast though when torrent downloads are paused/closed but when I resume it my browsing is getting slower...

One more thing, is there a way to fix the slow internet connection when CPU is at 100%?

Level 11
I'm on a 2Mbps HSDPA(3.5G) wireless connection... My browsing is fast though when torrent downloads are paused/closed but when I resume it my browsing is getting slower...
That's because you consume bandwidth while downloading. Your browser gets less bandwidth to download webpage content, therefore it is slower.

One more thing, is there a way to fix the slow internet connection when CPU is at 100%?
CPU has nothing to do with Internet speed.

Level 9
That's because you consume bandwidth while downloading. Your browser gets less bandwidth to download webpage content, therefore it is slower.

No. I mean that there is an instance that I get a fast browsing in some torrents. Some torrents result in crippled browsing. (I'm downloading a torrent right now at a rate of about 2Mbps but still, I experience fast browsing)

Is there a way to set the percentage of the data leeched by a program?
(e.g. for browser = 30% of entering data | for torrent client = 70% of entering data)

You don't get what I mean. When CPU reaches 100 (due to games, etc.), it lessens the transfer rate (like from the original 2Mbps, when CPU usage reaches 100, it suddenly drops to as low as 3kbps)

I'M MENTIONING "BITS PER SECOND" HERE.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
No. I mean that there is an instance that I get a fast browsing in some torrents. Some torrents result in crippled browsing. (I'm downloading a torrent right now at a rate of about 2Mbps but still, I experience fast browsing)
This depends on ISP and internet policy. Some ISPs will lower your connection speed if you torrent during the day, others will cap torrent connections only, others might give you more than 2 mbps but if everyone in your area uses internet it falls to less than 2 mbps. Also if you are using ADSL, upload will kill your download rate so cap torrent upload to a very small value (5 KB/sec is about all most ADSL can do).

(e.g. for browser = 30% of entering data | for torrent client = 70% of entering data)
Some ISPs already do that kind of idea. They drop the piority of torrent and download packets to 0 meaning that your torrent will virtually stop when you load webpages but the web page loads near instantly (near 100% of bandwidth) letting your download resume again.

Older ISPs still use the channel allocation method. This means that your torrent program will eat most of your bandwidth as it uses dozens of channels while your browser only uses 1 channel. The detection of channel abuse in some ISPs results in even lower caps on your speed as to not effect other clients even if it means that they waste more bandwidth as unalocated.

You don't get what I mean. When CPU reaches 100 (due to games, etc.), it lessens the transfer rate (like from the original 2Mbps, when CPU usage reaches 100, it suddenly drops to as low as 3kbps)
Obviously CPU time plays an important part in download speeds. How he could say otherwise is a joke.

CPUs are extreemly fast mening that the few mbps of download from the internet is unnoticable on them when idle. However if you are heavilly taxing a CPU it means that bottleknecks can occur causing the internet data to not be processed as fast as it comes in. Remember that torrents are not downloads, they use very complicated block scheemes which are actually realitvly taxing on the CPU but the time they take to process is unnoticable at the rate they download even on faster connections. When you are playing a game, what can happen is that the torrent client gets so little CPU time that it can not process blocks as fast as they are comming in resulting in buffers overflowing so data having to be discarded.

You can however fix this by simply raising the process schedualer piority for the torrent program to higher than that of the game. This will mean that your game threads will get interupted more readilly to allow the torrent program threads to run and they will be permitted to run longer when CPU is at full load. As such they should then be processing data fast enough to cope with the full download rate.

Also do remember that if you play a game in multiplay, the game itself will use the internet and thus potentially slow your torrent down (eg from it having to upload data to a server).

Status
Not open for further replies.