• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Slow internet, out of ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 27
So I have a slow internet problem and it always has been around, however i don't remember me having any internet problems back when i used XP on my old pc but ok.

I first had Vista, and somekind of wireless adapter... worked pretty fine but sometimes i had this ''connection interupted'' thing going on in CoD4 and also noticed it in any other application using the internet. But it wasn't really severe... until the connectivity began to have major issues and then it couldn't find our router anymore so we bought me an onboard wireless PCI card.

Installed windows 7 fresh, new games, new PC (That also runned Vista once) and a new onboard receiver... but it's still shit.

Most of the times my ping is like .... 1200 and then drops to 700, 400, 120 and then goes up again and sometimes stays up in 1200 and gets me disconnected. And i might even praise myself lucky if i get connected to the freaking server.

Downloading is mostly of time something like only 40 kb/s but also 10, or 8... while steam once raised to 600-700 kb/s it also dropped to 8.1 kb/s a while after that.

I really have no clue what is going on, i don't consider myself someone that has great knowlege of connections etc. but i sure do know something about IT. And i have no fucking clue what is happening here.

The last test, i downloaded a demo on steam with like 10 kb/s while the laptop of my father downloaded a simple application file with 120 kb/s (Which is still very slow but still faster than my pc does with it's 15 cm antenna!!!!) while it took ages for me to download that same file a few seconds ago.

On torrents the speed can get pretty ''high'' on my standards, like 300 kb/s and stay like that for a while... but is always bound to drop down to 40 sometime.

Any ideas? I suspect my connection is either getting interupted or something is wrong with my PC (which can't almost be the case with my fresh installation) or the router.

I even thought about our internet provider... meh... HALP!

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Firstly, your ISP is locking your house's bandwidth to what you pay for, you didn't mention anything about that, which is sort of important. With a 300kb/s download speed I'd have to guess you've got a 512kb/s connection (could be higher, but it's hardly any lower).

Secondly, I understand you have a wireless connection. These usually slow down the speed, I have no figures, but for the sake of an example, let's say it halves the connection speed, resulting in a 256kb/s connection coming to you. That would perhaps leave you with a downloading speed of 150kb/s (there's a LOT of variables that are important here).

Thirdly, your download (and upload) speed also depends on how many are connected to the same modem (ie the root of your local network). If, for instance, you, your dad and your mother is using internet simultaneously I'd assume the first to start a download (there's some prioritizing involved) would drain all the speed that is spare, leaving no extra for others, you'll keep what you're already using. Sometimes the connections are capped, so that each would have a portion that is one out of how many are connected to the modem (let's say it has 4 ports) - 1/4'th of the connection goes to you, that means you'd be down to 64kb/s connection.
Point being, I need to know if your internet is heavily loaded already when you start to download or play games.

It could theoretically be your computer that is the weak spot, but you mentioned buying a new PC and I find it hard to believe you've got an Ethernet/Network card that has a transfer rate of only 50kb/s (to compare, mine has a cap of 10/100/1000 Mb/s).

I want you to run a speed test to find out what you are getting in to your computer, and post the result as well as considering the already mentioned conditions.

http://www.speedtest.net/

While you're at it you might want to do a ping test as well to see how well your connection is working (how steady it is and how much information is getting through [so you won't have to send/receive twice or more]) - http://www.pingtest.net/

.. just to compare with, these are my results:

.. I've got a 10Mb/s connection, no routing, I share it with no one.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Yeah, test how it performs if you connect a cable to the modem, if possible, disconnect all other cables so that you're the only one using the internet. This should rule out any problems with the wireless router and/or the receiver.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Move your computer just to try it out? ..

Level 27
Changed some settings in the Router (advised by someone else)... it's better now

Although windows shows 24,36 and 54 Mbps, probably not trust worthy or something else...

And i'm not moving my PC lol too much work >.< i'm not desperate... will try the cable if i get one. (And not to lazy to do it)

Level 1
Cool there,
How do you know whether your connection works or not? Did you check your speed? You can update your connection speed using free internet boosters available on net. Contact your service provider otherwise. You can also get to know about your internet speed here http://www.ip-details.com/ . Its as easy as you enter your IP address that you get to know the speed of your connection.
Cheers!

Level 7
Firstly, your ISP is locking your house's bandwidth to what you pay for, you didn't mention anything about that, which is sort of important. With a 300kb/s download speed I'd have to guess you've got a 512kb/s connection (could be higher, but it's hardly any lower).

Secondly, I understand you have a wireless connection. These usually slow down the speed, I have no figures, but for the sake of an example, let's say it halves the connection speed, resulting in a 256kb/s connection coming to you. That would perhaps leave you with a downloading speed of 150kb/s (there's a LOT of variables that are important here).

Thirdly, your download (and upload) speed also depends on how many are connected to the same modem (ie the root of your local network). If, for instance, you, your dad and your mother is using internet simultaneously I'd assume the first to start a download (there's some prioritizing involved) would drain all the speed that is spare, leaving no extra for others, you'll keep what you're already using. Sometimes the connections are capped, so that each would have a portion that is one out of how many are connected to the modem (let's say it has 4 ports) - 1/4'th of the connection goes to you, that means you'd be down to 64kb/s connection.
Point being, I need to know if your internet is heavily loaded already when you start to download or play games.

It could theoretically be your computer that is the weak spot, but you mentioned buying a new PC and I find it hard to believe you've got an Ethernet/Network card that has a transfer rate of only 50kb/s (to compare, mine has a cap of 10/100/1000 Mb/s).

I want you to run a speed test to find out what you are getting in to your computer, and post the result as well as considering the already mentioned conditions.

http://www.speedtest.net/

While you're at it you might want to do a ping test as well to see how well your connection is working (how steady it is and how much information is getting through [so you won't have to send/receive twice or more]) - http://www.pingtest.net/

.. just to compare with, these are my results:

.. I've got a 10Mb/s connection, no routing, I share it with no one.

O.O
You have a crappy download and a crazy crazy crazy upload :razz:

Level 14
Can people stop flaunting their kick ass connections, some of us are stuck in the UK on ADSL. . .
Even his wireless is better than my connection lol.
Then yours are better than mine D:

Azndragon said:
O.O
You have a crappy download and a crazy crazy crazy upload :razz:
Holy cow, that 1 MBps is fast D:
Look at this D:

That is around US$30 every month... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.