• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Slaming Jump [aaron79]

The caster Jumps In the air by using his MIND power with a distance of 129/465/1024 and when the unit lands it deals strengh of unit x level of ability for unit damage.

Features:

-mui
-leak free
-balanced
-hopefully easy to modify
-documentation in actual triggering

updates coming soon:

you will see :p

Keywords:
MUI JUMP,mui,jump,spell jump,aaron79
Contents

Spell Test map (Map)

Reviews
16:43, 14th Jun 2009 hvo-busterkomo: A decent jump spell, although there's definitely room for improvement. First of all, you can't aim where the jump lands, and have to rely on yourself eye-balling a proper angle. Second, you can just use '0' as...

M

16:43, 14th Jun 2009
hvo-busterkomo: A decent jump spell, although there's definitely room for improvement.

First of all, you can't aim where the jump lands, and have to rely on yourself eye-balling a proper angle. Second, you can just use '0' as an instant height rate rather than 10^9.

Level 14
Don't know what to think of this. Didn't look through triggering but by the way it jumps in a traingle and not a half circle you didn't use a formula. And you can't decide where to land other than you fly that distance. Meh, maybe a 3/5 dunno really.

you do realize that jumps that go forward in real life don't go in a circle but more like a triangle ^^, but it does jump in a circular way. but i didn't use the formula because im trying to find another way but until now each level will increase distance. but like i said dont judge me on idea :p

Level 10
Well real life jump certainly doesn't go like this:
---------------------x
------------------x----x
---------------x--------x
------------x------------x
---------x----------------x
X marks the caster.
Still it works fine for what it should do and it's not a bad spell.

Level 14
---------------------x
------------------x----x
X marks the caster.

o.o. i will try to make my own formula then ^^ if its possible.

Level 17
Well to make formulas on that you need some good parabolic knowledge... but yes it is possible :)

EDIT:
Brief Review:
  • Unit - Add Crow Form to Caster[CD]
  • Animation - Change Caster[CD] flying height to formula[CD] at 1000000000.00
  • Unit - Remove Crow Form from Caster[CD]
Well as I've never worked with heights before I might be wrong, but I think Crow Form could be added only once in the main trigger and then removed, and the the height could be manipulated in the loop trigger without having to add it and remove it every 0.03. However, I'm not sure...

It damages your ally units...

Jump is nice, but something just doesn't seem right with it :S

As already commented, you might want to adjust it so that the unit point where he wants to jump to and not where he wants to jump from.

• Set Group[CD] = (Units within 300.00 of Point_1[CD])
  • Unit Group - Remove Caster[CD] from Group[CD]
Well instead of this, use this:
  • Set Group[CD] = (Units within 300.00 of Point[CD] matching (((Matching unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of Caster[CD])) Equal to True))
This solves the caster and his allies problem...
But, you still need to add some conditions such as "Matching unit is a structure/false" "... is a flying unit/false" etc...

It's leakless and MUI, yes.

• If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
    • If - Conditions
      • CD_end Equal to 0
    • Then - Actions
      • -------- ======================================================================= --------
      • -------- this is the clean up function ( this prepares for next cast) --------
      • Unit - Turn collision for Caster[CD] On
Well I think you need to turn the collision on before this If/Then/Else, otherwise if another instance of the spell is running than the collision would stay off, and I don't think we want that...

That's all for now :)

Good job aaron!

And the thing I like about your trigger, simple to read, neither overcrowded with comments nor lacking comments ;)

But I just noticed there's no documentation on how to import... provide some

Level 8
you do realize that jumps that go forward in real life don't go in a circle but more like a triangle ^^,

LOL. Ummm basic physics. when you jump in a direction your horizontal speed does not change (It actually does, though is negligable because the only force reducing your horizontal speed is wind resistance) and your vertical speed is constantly reducing due to gravitational force. Thus when your vertical speed reaches 0 (The top of your arc, jump) you begin moving downward. And then your speed Increases as you move downward, completing the arc.

• Unit - Add Crow Form to Caster[CD]
  • Animation - Change Caster[CD] flying height to formula[CD] at 1000000000.00
  • Unit - Remove Crow Form from Caster[CD]
Yes the crow form can be added and removed initally, all it does is adds that line of code into the units Overall code so that this aspect of the unit can be changed.
Also, something Septimus actually taught me, Change that FH rate from 10000000000000000 to 0, Works better and LOOKS better.

But as far as the spell... If its supposed to be an ability from his MIND power, why is the Smash Damage based off of strength?? :O
I know its an easy fix, but it bugged me so i thought i would say something.

Level 37
Spell itself is good, but I'll point a few things out:

The jump distance is constant, maybe make it random, or fix it to the point where it was casted.

Casting it is difficult, since you must click in front of the caster(if you like it that way, use "no target required" for a baser spell and then work with the unit's facing (e.g. Taunt, Fan of Knives)).

Tooltip has a little problem :p

Make unlimited visibility across the map ^^

For now 3/5 (but note Jump spell would hardly obtain 5/5 because there are many jump like spells)

*Off-topic*

---------------------x
------------------x----x
X marks the caster.

It's possible if you jump and you hit the wall with your head, then everything seems possible xD

Level 17
Wow Guishiu, hehe man you're getting goood with triggering :p and apparently your good with physics too...

Yeah let me emphasize on the arc issue, taking horizontal speed constant, you'd like to be decreasing vertical speed by a constant value on the way up, and then increase it by a constant value on the way down (acceleration is zero mid-air).

Well now maybe someone would say: what about air resistance!?

What I said usually applies theoretical, but the air-resistance applied on a "standing" body is merely anything to mention.

aaron I'm sure you have the math to do what me and Guishiu are explaining.
If not, well then you can PM me and I'll send you like 2 formulas which would let you do the whole thing ;)

@ Yearight:
well, that's how a jump occurs in the Looney Tunes world :p

Level 8
Wow Guishiu, hehe man you're getting goood with triggering :p and apparently your good with physics too...

I dunno if you're being sarcastic? Emotional context is lost through written communication... :(

Ummm would you happen to know the constant? I forgot it. Acceleration due to gravity.... .98m/second (squared) or something like that.
*Nevermind I just looked it up. I LOVE the Interweb :D it's 9.8meters/second (squared)
Been 3 years since i had physics... Not too far off =D

@ Yearight:
well, that's how a jump occurs in the Looney Tunes world :p

But that's Hillarious. :p

Rmx

Rmx

Level 19
Well the first and most used JASS formula ...

Parabola = ( (4 * Height) / Distance ) * ( Distance - Current Distance ) * ( Current Distance / Distance ) )

This is a very good formula and very very very easy to use :)

Last edited:
Level 17
Guishiu said:
I dunno if you're being sarcastic? Emotional context is lost through written communication... :(
No I was serious... :p

And yes the value of gravitational acceleration is around 9.8m/s2 depending on altitude, but that won't do any good for the triggers for we're not using realistic units in triggers... so it's more of common sense & trial-&-error :)

Rmx

Rmx

Level 19
Just Quoting myself ....

Well the first and most used JASS formula ...

Parabola = ( (4 * Height) / Distance ) * ( Distance - Current Distance ) * ( Current Distance / Distance ) )

This is a very good formula and very very very easy to use :)

Also there is another formula ... Paladon Jump System forumla that is mostly used by my spells ....

Set Distance = 1000
Set Speed = 15
Set Distance-Decoy = Distance
Set Max-height = 0.45
Set Formula = Distance x Max-Height

Loop TRIGGER >>>

Set Equation = Equation + (180 / ( Distance-Decoy / Speed )
Set Fly = ( Sin Equation * Formula )

Animation to Fly at rate 0 or 1000000000

Then when the spell finishes ..............>>>>>>> Set Equation = 0

Level 25
Hmm, i prefer to use an altered parabola:
JASS:
(4 * h) / d ) * ( d - cd ) * ( cd / d ) - zl

h - max height
cd - current distance
d - max distance
zl - location offset

That way it makes perfect parabola even on strange terrain :p
I had a good example of it but i lost all WE stuff when i reinstalled the system...
Adding Z of a location is good for colision checking...
Adding gravity as a factor can be good also :p
EDIT:
Not MUI as said before.
The "code" is pretty mesy i couldn't figure out what is what the first time i looked at it...
The more i look at the code the more i want to return to jass coding...

Last edited:
Level 14
Just Quoting myself ....

Also there is another formula ... Paladon Jump System forumla that is mostly used by my spells ....

Set Distance = 1000
Set Speed = 15
Set Distance-Decoy = Distance
Set Max-height = 0.45
Set Formula = Distance x Max-Height

Loop TRIGGER >>>

Set Equation = Equation + (180 / ( Distance-Decoy / Speed )
Set Fly = ( Sin Equation * Formula )

Animation to Fly at rate 0 or 1000000000

Then when the spell finishes ..............>>>>>>> Set Equation = 0
:p also stop with the "your spells are never MUI stuff" lol your really pissing me off -_-

but thanks for the comments, remember this is my first height spell and i tested the spell and the sad thing is it is mui :p. but somtimes it can spam effects at a random chance so i will fix that.

and my spell doesnt damage the caster if you use both casters they CAN damage each other but not themselves :p

@kingz and Rmx ---------> here is your screen shot proof of both casters in the air when the spell was cast at the same time ^^
mui%20proof.jpg

Rmx

Rmx

Level 19
Try to put speed to 5 then cast it First caster ......

First Caster ... the jump ============Finish
Second Caster the jump ===========Finish XXXXXX he will stop in middle air...

like first cast ........ -==============
Second cast ...... after 1 sec of first cast .. ===========

First cast reaches point ===========X
Second Cast Stops !!! =======X

Also KINGZ

How does zl works ?

Level 14
Try to put speed to 5 then cast it First caster ......

First Caster ... the jump ============Finish
Second Caster the jump ===========Finish XXXXXX he will stop in middle air...

like first cast ........ -==============
Second cast ...... after 1 sec of first cast .. ===========

First cast reaches point ===========X
Second Cast Stops !!! =======X

Also KINGZ

How does zl works ?

checking...
EDit: it works with the setting i have on now and even changing the speed it still didn't change the height for me.

Level 12
Are you holding down subdued anger from the Yearight vs Dimitri231 battle? (That Spider spellpack thread) ;D I don't see you talking like that very much^^

Level 17
off-topic:
PsychoNerdial said:
Are you holding down subdued anger from the Yearight vs Dimitri231 battle? (That Spider spellpack thread) ;D I don't see you talking like that very much^^
You're asking me? :p I wasn't angry first place, I don't get angry easily...
And I didn't even remember what the problem was before you just mentioned it now :p

Level 9
Nice spell idea, but since this is practice I hope you appreciate if I give you some hints:

-The spell seems to bug a bit, but I can't really figure why at the moment
So here are two pictures:
attachment.php

attachment.php

-In this pictures you can also see, that the spell damages everyone except the caster. You use:
  • Set Group[CD] = (Units within 300.00 of Point_1[CD])
  • Unit Group - Remove Caster[CD] from Group[CD]
  • Unit Group - Pick every unit in Group[CD] and do (Actions)
    • Loop - Actions
      • Unit - Cause Caster[CD] to damage (Picked unit), dealing (Real(Damage[CD])) damage of attack type Spells and damage type Normal
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the chest of (Picked unit) using Objects\Spawnmodels\Human\SmallFlameSpawn\SmallFlameSpawn.mdl
      • Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
You could use:
  • Set Group[CD] = (Units within 300.00 of Point_1[CD] matching (((Matching unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of Caster[CD])) equals True))
  • Unit Group - Pick every unit in Group[CD] and do (Actions)
    • Loop - Actions
      • Unit - Cause Caster[CD] to damage (Picked unit), dealing (Real(Damage[CD])) damage of attack type Spells and damage type Normal
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect attached to the chest of (Picked unit) using Objects\Spawnmodels\Human\SmallFlameSpawn\SmallFlameSpawn.mdl
      • Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
instead and add some conditions like unit is a building = false and so on...

-You set half jumps as a real, which should be an integer:
  • Set Half_jumps[CD_array] = ((Real(Jumps[CD_array])) / 2.00)
  • Jumps[CD] less than or equal to (Integer(Half_jumps[CD]))
-There is one thing which leaks I think:
  • Unit - Move Caster[CD] instantly to (Point_1[CD] offset by (Real(Jumps[CD])) towards angle[CD] degrees)
Simply set a location with the offset and move the unit there.

-Well about the half jumps you could easily use:
  • Jumps[CD] less than or equal to (Jumps[CD]/2)
However just a suggestion

-I think it damages the targets more than one time something like 2-3 times which i find weird.

Ok that's everything so far which really should be changed.
Now for some neutral comments: You can add Crow Form one time and you can always adjust a unit's flying height like mentionend before.
You can turn off collision in the init trigger and turn it off if CD_end equals 0.
I think in general this is a nice spell, I don't really think it's that bad, that the jump describes a triangle since we play a fantasy game and talk about mind powers, not an ordinary physical jump. And in the comments it reads: "this will help the caster know when he should let gravity pull him down :p" So obviously he just inverses gravity and moves ;)
Well ok Special effects don't really look "mindy", neither does the caster^^ but anyway it's a fantasy game.... The thing about the target location: I think it's not much of a big deal. Simply go into Object Editor change spell to one targetting nothing, and modify the angle variable. So all in all good job.

Note: Correct me if I did anything wrong

Attachments

• MUI jump bug 1.jpg
    MUI jump bug 1.jpg
    234.6 KB · Views: 260
  • MUI jump bug 2.jpg
    MUI jump bug 2.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 208
Last edited: