• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

SKP to MDL/X converter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 36
I have a bunch of nice models I made or downloaded for Google SketchUp, and I want to convert them to MDL/X or any file format really (anything else I can convert to MDL/X) so I can use them in maps/terrains etc. Does anyone know of a program that can do this, or is willing to make one for me? Will give shitloads of rep.

Level 3
I was sooooo close to figuring it out, first I exported my sketchup model to a google earth model, then I changed that file into a .zip simply by changing its file name. I then extracted the files. I downloaded something called FBX converter, in which I converted the .dae file in the models section of the extracted file into both a .OBJ file and then downloaded something called quick3d. I opened the file in it then saved it as a .mdl file.

But then, when I used the MdlxConv to convert it to a .mdx, it said Line 1: Chunk missing. If you can figure a way around that and post it, you are so damn awesome.

Level 3
I was planning on converting it to an mdx so i could look at it in warcraft viewer to see if it worked properly.

Level 36
I could do it, but only if you could find an SKP to OBJ/FBX/3DS or similar format converter.

SketchUp comes with a SKP to Google Earth File converter, and I'm pretty sure you can convert Google Earth Files to other formats more easily, but I'll look into it. SketchUp Pro comes with a SKP to 3DS converter, but I don't have the pro version because it costs money :p

I think there's a SKP to XML converter too.

EDIT: Ok, I got my hands on SketchUp Pro, so here's a bunch of 3DS files.

Attachments

• 3DS.zip
    236.5 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:
Level 3
You can convert the files to .obj or .3ds if you export your file as google earth (.kmz) then just rename it as filename.zip, then you extract the .zip file and use the FBX converter to change the .dae file that is in the unzipped file into a .obj or .3ds file

Level 3
so far the only thing that has gotten .3ds into .mdl is quick3d, but when i tried to convert the .mdl to .mdx, it didn't work

Status
Not open for further replies.