• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Skeleton Warriors (pack I)

About the pack:

This pack is dedicated to melee Skeletons wielding one-handed weapons. The models are stilistically identical on purpose and represent a group of Skeleton Warriors that mostly belong to the same tier. Other types of Skeletons will also be sorted into groups in their their own packs.

Technical info:
  • Contains many custom animations like Stand Defend, Spell, Attack Slam, etc.
  • Completely reworked portraits to be distinctive enough.
  • Improved old animations and removed glitching.
  • Contains only in-game textures.
UPDATES:
Added a Skeleton Maceman (featuring a distinctive portrait and special animations).
Added a Skeleton Duelist (featuring a distinctive portrait and special animations).
Renamed some of the models and added new animations:
  • Skeleton Axeman -> Skeleton Barbarian: added Spell, Spell Defend, Spell Slam and Stand Channel animations.
  • Skeleton Centurion: added Spell, Spell Defend and Spell Throw animations.
  • Skeleton Duelist: added an Attack Slam animation (spinning with blades).
  • Skeleton Maceman A -> Skeleton Crusher; Skeleton Maceman B -> Skeleton Mauler; Skeletons Swordsmen A B C -> Skeletons Soldiers A B C.
  • Skeleton Crusher, Mauler, Soldier: added Spell and Spell Defend animations.
  • Skeleton Warrior Shieldless A -> Skeleton Squire.
  • Removed Skeleton Swordsman D (link) from the list: the model does not have sufficient uniqueness.
Commentary: here I wanted to further reveal the characters of the models, highlight their roles and increase their potential for use.

Improved some mesh and old animations:
  • The pelvis part of armor during the Death sequence remained the same as in the classic models: redone.
  • Skeleton Crusher and Skeleton Mauler didn't have wooden handles on their weapons during the Birth and Death sequences: redone.
Commentary: despite the fact that those details were insignificant and very invisible, I decided to change this for greater accuracy and satisfaction. As the saying goes, the devil is in the details!

Other improvements and optimization:
  • Adjusted the height of the HP bars more precisely.
  • Portraits: removed some mesh which is not visible to the camera and removed all unused keyframes.
  • Models: linearized animations and removed more unused keyframes.
Commentary: as a result, the size of the models was decreased by 30-50%. Please note: if you want to further optimize the models, for example, using MDLX Optimizer, you will save a pair of kilobytes but might break the visibility of the geosets in some sequences.

New Skeletons:
  • Added a reworked version of classic Skeleton Warrior: improved mesh, added Stand, Walk, Attack Defend animations and fixed some minor issues.
  • Added a Skeleton Berserker with many special animations and a distinctive portrait!
Commentary: I decided to rework classic Skeleton Warrior to complete the picture: the old one did not hold the sword correctly, the spikes of the armor were placed rather chaotically and hung in the air and, in addition, in his portrait they were absent.

For more details read the post!
Renamed some of the models and added extra armor:
  • Skeleton Soldier (A, B, C) -> Skeleton Footman (A, B, C).
  • Skeleton Footman (A, B, C): added chest armor plates.
Commentary: here I wanted to put more emphasis on the mentioned above re-armored Skeletons and their role in the Undead army so their Defend animations now go well with their names. Also, in support of several "more armor" comments and since these skeletons have lighter weapons, I decided to make them more "tanky". The other Skeletons with heavier weapons (such as axes, maces and flails) are left with less armor and smaller shields, thus making the difference in role models for these warriors more noticeable.

Improved portraits:
  • Skeleton Squire: changed the camera angle.
  • Skeleton Warrior: added gear and changed the camera angle.
  • Skeleton Berserker: the portrait is reworked according to Deolrin's suggestion from this post.
Commentary: more uniqueness for portraits never hurts.

Fixed some recently discovered issues:
  • Added missing footprints in all Defend Walk sequences.
  • The "Weapon L Ref" attachment point is now correctly linked in the Skeleton Berserker model.
Commentary: I find it necessary to go back to my works and see where I screwed up, from time to time.

New Skeleton:
  • Added a Skeleton Juggernaut with many special animations and a distinctive portrait!
Commentary: Finally I got my hands on a well-armored Skeleton with heavy blunt weapons. Take it!

If you want to see what was behind the model, read this post!

Author's notes:
  • I also welcome you to visit my work in progress section for more creative content.
  • Some of these models were created for one of my favorite maps - Tree Tag.
  • Prolific and talented @Aldeia also prepared a big range of icons for you!
Feel free to use/edit the model but give credits!

Keywords:
Assassin, Axeman, Barbarian, Berserker, Duelist, Dagger, Footman, Juggernaut, Maceman, Necro, Necromancy, Skeletal, Skeleton, Swordsman, Undead, Warrior
Contents

SkeletonAssassin.mdx (Model)

SkeletonAssassinDaggerMissile.mdx (Model)

SkeletonBarbarian.mdx (Model)

SkeletonCenturion.mdx (Model)

SkeletonCrusher.mdx (Model)

SkeletonFootmanA.mdx (Model)

SkeletonFootmanA_Portrait.mdx (Model)

SkeletonFootmanB.mdx (Model)

SkeletonFootmanB_Portrait.mdx (Model)

SkeletonFootmanC.mdx (Model)

SkeletonFootmanC_Portrait.mdx (Model)

SkeletonJuggernaut.mdx (Model)

SkeletonJuggernaut_Portrait.mdx (Model)

SkeletonMauler.mdx (Model)

SkeletonSquire_Portrait.mdx (Model)

SkeletonWarrior.mdx (Model)

SkeletonWarrior_Portrait.mdx (Model)

SkeletonBarbarian_Portrait.mdx (Model)

SkeletonBerserker.mdx (Model)

SkeletonBerserker_Portrait.mdx (Model)

SkeletonCenturion_Portrait.mdx (Model)

SkeletonCrusher_Portrait.mdx (Model)

SkeletonDuelist.mdx (Model)

SkeletonDuelist_Portrait.mdx (Model)

SkeletonMauler_Portrait.mdx (Model)

SkeletonSquire.mdx (Model)

Reviews
ILH
ILH
Amazing skeleton variants with added animations and custom portrait. Very useful for general uses. Changes made. Works in-game. Approved! SoldierB and SoldierC is way too similar, though.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
The Kul Tirans is a "specific breed of human that hail from the island nation of Kul Tiras that was founded by fearless explorers who sailed uncharted waters in search of adventure". Are they the same guys as Jaina and Admiral Proudmoore from WC3? 🤔
Yeah they are (or at least have been retconned as such, IIRC).

Yeah I definitely wouldn't go down the route of "models individualized for different clans/tribes/factions of X"; other people are doing that already, and you're stated goal of "generically-useful, Blizzard-style model packs" is simply divine as it is. However, considering some of the sub-factions as a source of inspiration (artistically/aesthetically), might still be up your alley.

Level 49
Oh guys I have no idea about WC2 and WoW settings because I have never played it so I don't know if I can follow your advice 😥 In this pack I tried to create some more stereotyped warrior types that can have greater range of use. In order to create something more specific, I have to invest more effort and time, which also requires my attention in some other packs and single models. Thus, I'm afraid I'll die learning all the factions and their traits in order to create meaningful and lore-appropriate models from WoW 😅 So I'll probably be fooling around in Warcraft 3 for a while.
The Kul Tirans is a "specific breed of human that hail from the island nation of Kul Tiras that was founded by fearless explorers who sailed uncharted waters in search of adventure". Are they the same guys as Jaina and Admiral Proudmoore from WC3? 🤔
I don't think WoW should be followed too closely beyond basic aesthetic if you like something you see. The Warcraft franchise is rife with retcons and re-imaginations. Kul Tiras was, originally, simply a a seafarer faction of the Alliance, with the strongest navy out of all the other kingdoms. Admiral Proudmoore and Jaina are indeed Kul Tirans. In WoW they are chubby looking guys who worship sea gods, it's a little weird. If you want to follow a sort of mix - the WC2-WC3 era kingdom with a hint of WoW aesthetic - go look at the Kul Tiran pack made for Warcraft 3 Reforged by the Chronicles of the Second War team and the Kul Tiras building pack by bakr. There are also Asssssvi's Kul Tirans which can serve as inspiration.
Either way for the pirate skeleton I think simply going for a classic pirate aesthetic could work. The reason StonemaulMidget talked about WC2 is because Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness features a focus on naval forces, and this is the box art:
71GaFY3TFyL._SL1020_.jpg

I don't think WoW should be followed too closely beyond basic aesthetic if you like something you see. The Warcraft franchise is rife with retcons and re-imaginations. Kul Tiras was, originally, simply a a seafarer faction of the Alliance, with the strongest navy out of all the other kingdoms. Admiral Proudmoore and Jaina are indeed Kul Tirans. In WoW they are chubby looking guys who worship sea gods, it's a little weird. If you want to follow a sort of mix - the WC2-WC3 era kingdom with a hint of WoW aesthetic - go look at the Kul Tiran pack made for Warcraft 3 Reforged by the Chronicles of the Second War team and the Kul Tiras building pack by bakr. There are also Asssssvi's Kul Tirans which can serve as inspiration.
Either way for the pirate skeleton I think simply going for a classic pirate aesthetic could work. The reason StonemaulMidget talked about WC2 is because Warcraft 2: Tides of Darkness features a focus on naval forces, and this is the box art:
71GaFY3TFyL._SL1020_.jpg
Of course. I brought up the skeletal orc pirate, based on the artwork, simply because we were talking about having a skeletal pirate. I think I've seen other references to the orc pirate for Warcraft 2, so I must surf the Internet for those.
However, we should give Villagerino some space because he did say he's got many ideas for skeletons, and we should respect that.
However, if he needs inspiration, he has but to ask.

Last edited:
Yeah I definitely wouldn't go down the route of "models individualized for different clans/tribes/factions of X"; other people are doing that already, and you're stated goal of "generically-useful, Blizzard-style model packs" is simply divine as it is.
If I were as deft with words as you are, then I would briefly "round" my position in the same way. Therefore, thank you.
71GaFY3TFyL._SL1020_.jpg
This Kul Tirans pack is magnificent, I must say.
Of course. I brought up the skeletal orc pirate, based on the artwork, simply because we were talking about having a skeletal pirate. I think I've seen other references to the orc pirate for Warcraft 2, so I must surf the Internet for those.
However, we should give Villagerino some space because he did say he's got many ideas for skeletons, and we should respect that.
However, if he needs inspiration, he has but to ask.
As for a Skeleton Pirate, to make it juicy and useful, I would definitely add a pistol, tricorn, eye patch, and Kul Tiran boots with gloves. Some other Kul Tiran aesthetic would also help me bring in more variation. I like your idea and I'll take it into consideration ☠️
Yes, right now I have no shortage of inspiration and, frankly, I'm even holding back my imagination as it takes my attention away from other modeling projects.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
If I were as deft with words as you are, then I would briefly "round" my position in the same way. Therefore, thank you.
You do me a great kindness.

Villagerino said:
As for a Skeleton Pirate, to make it juicy and useful, I would definitely add a pistol, tricorn, eye patch, and Kul Tiran boots with gloves. Some other Kul Tiran aesthetic would also help me bring in more variation. I like your idea and I'll take it into consideration ☠️
Reminds me of this gem; looking forward to your version. : )

You do me a great kindness.

Reminds me of this gem; looking forward to your version. : )
Rather creative! I wanted to use the same textures and geosets and also for the team-colored part. So, I'm glad you showed it, otherwise I would have made almost a copy 🤔 I even have a similar death anim
Darkness.gif
in some of my models in progress.

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Rather creative! I wanted to use the same textures and geosets and also for the team-colored part. So, I'm glad you showed it, otherwise I would have made almost a copy 🤔 I even have a similar death anim in some of my models in progress.
I don't think there's anything wrong with multiple versions of the same thing (even using similar/same geosets/textures); but I did want you to be aware of what else there was in case that mattered more to you. : )

And heck yeah that Death anim is siiiiick, don't feel like you need to change that.

Excellent and very useful skeleton pack!

Note that at least the Duelist (unsure about the others) attachment point for weapon is just "r" and "l", not the "standard" "left", "right", meaning something like Troll Berserks's "Berserk" ability does not show vfx without attachment point adjustment on ability or model.

Last edited:
Level 16
I could use these models for my Enhanced Raise dead spell (aka different corpse=different skeleton)

I particulary liked Duelist attack animation, and also the whole scary model of Mauler.

if anything needs improvement its the Attack-3 animation for Berserker/Juggernaut.

I have question though: which corpse fits Mauler the most?
Barbarian skellies certainly fit for ogre corpse, I guess mauler fits there too?
also what about animal corpses :p
@MasterHaosis what do you think?

Level 2
Amazing work with all the melee skeletons with various one-handed weapons! I appreciate the effort and attention to detail you're putting into this project.
With all these models, maybe it is time for a mapmaker to team up with you to do Skeletal Gladiators [An undead variation of Orc Gladiators] xDD
Or maybe such a map has already been made/considered, and if it is, they should definitely check out your models!
Once again, very lovely and elegant work.

Holy shimt, I funkin lowe skelingtons.. !
Thank you! 💛

I could use these models for my Enhanced Raise dead spell (aka different corpse=different skeleton)

I particulary liked Duelist attack animation, and also the whole scary model of Mauler.

if anything needs improvement its the Attack-3 animation for Berserker/Juggernaut.

I have question though: which corpse fits Mauler the most?
Barbarian skellies certainly fit for ogre corpse, I guess mauler fits there too?
also what about animal corpses :p
@MasterHaosis what do you think?
Thanks! I'm happy that you may find it useful for your project!
Yes, some of the animations could be done better, and now I have enough experience to improve them, and this is what I'm going to do after I add the final model to this bundle. In other words, I will review the material again 😉
As for the Skeleton Mauler, I think an Ogre with one head is the best choice here 🤔 However, a two-headed Ogre is also good, let's just think one skull got lost.

Amazing work with all the melee skeletons with various one-handed weapons! I appreciate the effort and attention to detail you're putting into this project.
With all these models, maybe it is time for a mapmaker to team up with you to do Skeletal Gladiators [An undead variation of Orc Gladiators] xDD
Or maybe such a map has already been made/considered, and if it is, they should definitely check out your models!
Once again, very lovely and elegant work.
Thanks! Good idea lol, it would be fun to watch brainless Undead warriors fight in the arena 😀

Level 2
Epic model, Can't imagine how much time and effort goes into a model so detailed :O
Awesome job! When is this going to be implemented into the wc3 map tree tag? :D

Wow they look really good, you are really talanted! Thanks for sharing this with us
Thank you! Always welcome 🙂

Epic model, Can't imagine how much time and effort goes into a model so detailed :O
Awesome job! When is this going to be implemented into the wc3 map tree tag? :D
Thanks for the feedback man! 💛
I'm planning to make a separate pack of tiered skeletons for Tree Tag, not taking anything from here I think.

UPDATE 31.10.23

New models:
  • Added Skeleton Assassin.
  • Added Dagger Missile.
Commentary: This is the last major model for this bundle.

Skeleton Assassin

Here he is, the last warrior of this pack!

StandReady.gif
SkelSinMovement.gif
Dagger320x315.png

Skeleton Assassin was made by me relatively recently and therefore surpasses its fellows in several aspects. It passes the Sanity Check, contains more custom animations, a merged portrait and the minimum of geosets:

SkelSinGeosets.png
SkelSinDeath.gif

For example, it uses only 2 weapons. Trickery! All this allowed us to save a decent amount of free space.

The animations are better executed and capture all my experience:

SkelSinAtkSlamSlowMo.gif
SkelSinAnims.gif
Skel_Stand_3.gif

Here you can see the 'Spell Slam' in details and some cloak movements in the 'Spell Throw'. I made sure the model looks as OG as possible.

By the way, he's a fun and detailed post in my work in progress section where you can also find an icon.

I hope you enjoy the new model!

Last edited:
Level 17
UPDATE 31.10.23

New models:
  • Added Skeleton Assassin.
  • Added Dagger Missile.
Commentary: This is the last major model for this bundle.

Skeleton Assassin

Here he is, the last warrior of this pack!

Skeleton Assassin was made by me relatively recently and therefore surpasses its fellows in several aspects. It passes the Sanity Check, contains more custom animations, a merged portrait and the minimum of geosets:

For example, it uses only 2 weapons. Trickery! All this allowed us to save a decent amount of free space.

The animations are better executed and capture all my experience:

Here you can see the 'Spell Slam' in details and some cloak movements in the 'Spell Throw'. I made sure the model looks as OG as possible.

By the way, he's a fun and detailed post in my work in progress section where you can also find an icon.

I hope you enjoy the new model!
Your skill is great:)

Level 14
Great stuff, hard to fault anything.
IMO the best aspects are reusing assets so well, and I don't think any of the models are over-the-top or bloated with details and stuff. They all feel very fitting for WC3 (with a hint of WOW). Also they are reasonably similar, but each has enough character, personality and idiosyncrasies to distinguish them, like the flail skelly or the Berserker's Portrait.

Edit tbh I think it deserves more than a 'recommended' ranking ;P

A good update for Halloween. :thumbs_up:
love the new model! animations are amazing too!:ogre_love:
Thank you, guys! 💛

Very cool. I hope you will make some icons for them.
Thanks! Although I have a few icons, I'm not particularly keen on creating them, only for special projects.
I only hope some great icon makers like @Aldeia will do this work for us, modelers 😄 For now, you can visit the appropriate section on the forum and ask local icon makers or find a few in the appropriate Icon section (I think I saw some good Skeleton heads there).

Great stuff, hard to fault anything.
IMO the best aspects are reusing assets so well, and I don't think any of the models are over-the-top or bloated with details and stuff. They all feel very fitting for WC3 (with a hint of WOW). Also they are reasonably similar, but each has enough character, personality and idiosyncrasies to distinguish them, like the flail skelly or the Berserker's Portrait.

Edit tbh I think it deserves more than a 'recommended' ranking ;P
Thanks for your detailed comment! I am very glad that you discerned the charisma of the models and appreciated their Warcrafyness.
It’s always a pleasure to work hard for reviews like this, thank you again! :peasant-i-object:

Supreme work, have you considered adding some ranged unit? cloacked archer or crossbow user?
Thanks! Yes, eventually. As stated in the pack description: "This pack is dedicated to melee Skeletons. Other types of Skeletons will also be sorted into groups in their their own packs." 👍

Last edited:
❗A small announcement.

For those who did not have enough icons to indicate all the Skeletons, follow the link by an icon master @Aldeia!

Incredible! Each of these skeletons resembles bosses from RPG games! The skeleton assassin and the skeleton with a flail deserve special attention, these animations look very cool. :thumbs_up:
Thanks! Some can really live up to a small RPG-boss 🙂

Last edited: