• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Skeletal Tauren

This bundle is marked as pending. It has not been reviewed by a staff member yet.
Noticing, by mistake, how easy it is to create skeletal versions of models, I asked on Retera's discord what model would they want to have a dead version of.
And, well, they said the tauren.

The model uses its own textures so it's not bloody and slimy like his corpse. It has a skeletal death sound, has no blood emitters (obviously), has some model tweaks here and there (to make the clothes fit properly), has a custom portrait, has a custom Icon.

You can either use skeleton sounds or ancient sounds (NE buildings), both work ingame.

Well, I guess I'm missing many things, but the point is that it's a working model.
Previews
Contents

Skeletal Tauren (Model)

Level 18
(but, sadly, corpses have no FaceFX so he can't talk. He's a skeleton, though, it's not as if he had any vocal chords),
I'm really sad to hear this, not having unit voice lines is really lackluster.
Though I really don't understand how there's no workaround for this, I mean, can't we have an innate portrait to play voice lines?
I'm not saying it's something on your side, quite the opposite. I don't understand how the engine does not support unit lines if there's no lip sync. Like wtf.
Can't we just drop sound events in the portrait settings or whatever :vw_death:

In case anyone wonders, such a skeletal Tauren would do beefy bone sounds!

PS: I didn't say it earlier but I really like the fancy detail editing on the totem!

I'm really sad to hear this, not having unit voice lines is really lackluster.
Though I really don't understand how there's no workaround for this, I mean, can't we have an innate portrait to play voice lines?
I'm not saying it's something on your side, quite the opposite. I don't understand how the engine does not support unit lines if there's no lip sync. Like wtf.
Can't we just drop sound events in the portrait settings or whatever :vw_death:

In case anyone wonders, such a skeletal Tauren would do beefy bone sounds!

PS: I didn't say it earlier but I really like the fancy detail editing on the totem!

Engine supports unit lines without lip synching, there is one unitacksounds.slk file, open it with slk editor(not exel) if a unit has lipsynch it's sounds are called like 'arthasattack.flac' instead of 'units\human\arthasattack.flac' just fix those and use as a local file or import it to the map if editor recognises it it will fix the issue

Since I uploaded it at 2 am, my sleepy self decided that its portrait didn't work. It does work. You just need to change the sound set to whatever skeleton, NE ancient... even the sludge monster works. You just can't set a talking soundset -but it's a skeleton so that's more than fine.

Updated the info. You don't need to redownload nothing.

Level 18
Engine supports unit lines without lip synching, there is one unitacksounds.slk file, open it with slk editor(not exel) if a unit has lipsynch it's sounds are called like 'arthasattack.flac' instead of 'units\human\arthasattack.flac' just fix those and use as a local file or import it to the map if editor recognises it it will fix the issue
Thanks!

Since I uploaded it at 2 am, my sleepy self decided that its portrait didn't work. It does work. You just need to change the sound set to whatever skeleton, NE ancient... even the sludge monster works. You just can't set a talking soundset -but it's a skeleton so that's more than fine.

Updated the info. You don't need to redownload nothing.
Yeaaah! \o/

Level 8
How did you get the bones/skeleton to show up in animations? Whenever I try to edit it in .mdl and have the skeleton geoset appear in all animations, it does nothing. What's the work around for this?

Awesome model and idea.

How did you get the bones/skeleton to show up in animations? Whenever I try to edit it in .mdl and have the skeleton geoset appear in all animations, it does nothing. What's the work around for this?

Awesome model and idea.
To be honest, it's a lottery. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I haven't tried it yet, but maybe skin splicing the bones may solve the issue. I'll check to see if it works

Level 8
To be honest, it's a lottery. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I haven't tried it yet, but maybe skin splicing the bones may solve the issue. I'll check to see if it works
Do let me know, having skeletal versions of units could be very useful.

Level 6
"Noticing, by mistake, how easy it is to create skeletal versions of models" really? I need to find out how to do this i have had the idea for a race of humans that come back from the dead to fight the legion so the living do not suffer the same fate. I need to learn how to do this.

"Noticing, by mistake, how easy it is to create skeletal versions of models" really? I need to find out how to do this i have had the idea for a race of humans that come back from the dead to fight the legion so the living do not suffer the same fate. I need to learn how to do this.
Basically, you delete the flesh and guts geosets of the model and make the bones always visible in other anims. Then, just edit the bone texture so it's not bloody and all that.
I'd recommend giving them heads from other units though, most decay bone heads look SD

Level 6
Basically, you delete the flesh and guts geosets of the model and make the bones always visible in other anims. Then, just edit the bone texture so it's not bloody and all that.
I'd recommend giving them heads from other units though, most decay bone heads look SD

Good to know but I don't know how to do that.