• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Since when the Tauren Chieftain has a walk fast animation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see none.
Then what's this?
TaurenRunning.gif

I figured this out.
I opened War3_med.mpq in magos and found the model with the walk fast animation.
Now it would be better when modeling using the medium quality as base rather than the high quality one.
Uploaded the medium quality one for those having trouble finding it in mpq.
Too bad I discovered this only now all those model using TC animations could have had an extra walk fast animation.

Attachments

• HeroTaurenChieftain.mdl
    1.2 MB · Views: 78
Level 1
Ok I know what this is.
Only low and medium quality verison of Tauren Chieftain have walk fast animation.
You don't have it in high model quality.

Wait, so the high quality version doesn't have it? Weird. I would think it would be the opposite.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Wait, so the high quality version doesn't have it? Weird. I would think it would be the opposite.

Probably uses different more smooth animations than the low and medium versions. Low and medium might have fewer bones to account for simpler model geometry. When making the high version they might have deemed a walk fast and walk slow animation unnecessary as the standard walk appeared fine.

Probably uses different more smooth animations than the low and medium versions. Low and medium might have fewer bones to account for simpler model geometry. When making the high version they might have deemed a walk fast and walk slow animation unnecessary as the standard walk appeared fine.
In this case the Tc has same body skeleton.Only bones missing are the face animation related like jaw, cheek, eyebrows...
It's more a mistake either they forgot to add this animation in the high quality version.Or it wasn't used and they forgot to remove it from the lower quality model.

Level 18
Nice find, Callahan. Probably they decided that the hi-res model is too heavy and the removal of the animation could compensate.

Also, from an aesthetical point of view, Tauren are just larger. That means that a walking tauren chieftain would move at the same speed as a running orc or human (280-350 units per second (I'm suspecting the units to be in-game centimeters @.@) - these are the default boundaries of "fast" movement speed). Perhaps they could have kept the animation as "Walk Very Fast" but I think movement speed tags other than "Fast" don't work.

Last edited:
Level 18
Oh hell yeah.
Wouldn't it be great if someone could find the commandbutton.mdx thingy.

Now that I found my old thread about that (I've been trying to find btncommand.mdx for 4 or 5 years now) - where did all of you find the WC3 Grand Prix cars? Maybe the btncommand.mdx is there too...

Guys, this game is more than a decade old now and we're still trying to dissect it...

Now that I found my old thread about that (I've been trying to find btncommand.mdx for 4 or 5 years now) - where did all of you find the WC3 Grand Prix cars? Maybe the btncommand.mdx is there too...

Guys, this game is more than a decade old now and we're still trying to dissect it...

All the GP Cars are in the patch mpq. But you need an edited listfile to natively see them.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Holy cow, Fast-running Tauren? That's so crazy. I echo the above comment; "why in the world would 'less' detail be found on the 'high detail' model? (considering lack of an animation to be 'lesser detail'). Feh.

Also, "BTNCommand.mdx"? Whazzat?

Also also, I was wondering why I'd never seen the Grand Prix cars in my "mpq-diving". Crazy.

Amazing, isn't it? :p

Level 18
BTNCommand.mdx is supposed to be the model that the WC3 icons use in the game interface. Or so it says under "Game interface" in WE. However, several people (including Frank and me) have been trying to find it around the MPQs for years, and noone still has.

Level 21
It would be interesting if there are other hidden things like that
I know this is also kinda off topic, but I remember that all Murloc models from Reign of Chaos Low and Medium MPQ have the Cannibalize (Stand Channel) animation, but all High quality Murlocs(except one) don't have them. And it's really odd that none of the TFT expansion Murlocs kept that animation.

Status
Not open for further replies.