• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Simple Trigger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Ok, I've made an AoE spell, that when cast should damage all nearby enemies within 500 range of the casting units... The problems is that the allied units are also damaged... And I can't understand why...

• Events
  • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
  • Conditions
  • (Ability being cast) equal to Armaggedon
  • Actions
  • Set Armag = (Casting unit)
  • Wait 1.00 seconds
  • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 500.00 of (Position of Armag) matching (((Picked unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of Armag)) equal to true) and (((Picked unit) is a structure) equal to false)
  • Unit - Cause Armag to damage (Picked unit), dealing 250 damage of attack type Spells and damage type normal

Level 13
Don't use waits, and use an If/Then/Else, "Pick every unit close to Armag and do actions, I/T/E, owner of Picked unit is an ally of owner of triggering unit, then, (nothing) else deal damage."

Level 3
Yeah it worked that way, but I still kept a wait and it shows no problem. I don't understand why matching doesn't work... Anyway thanks. rep+

Level 14
  • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 500.00 of (Position of Armag) matching (((Picked unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of Armag)) equal to true) and (((Picked unit) is a structure) equal to false)
You're supposed to use Matching unit instead of Picked unit.

Unrelated:
It would be better to use Triggering unit instead of Casting unit.

You're also leaking a location and a unit group. If you don't know how to fix leaks, you can look at this link: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/triggers-scripts-269/things-leak-35124/

It would be better if you checked if the matching units were alive.

Level 18
use matching unit, add a variable point

then use custom script
Look
call RemoveLocation( udg_VariableName )
Set - UnitGroupsVariable = Every unit within 500 range .....(condition)
there are many types that leaks, like unit groups too, use a variable unit groups, set it there, the Unit Groups - Pick every unit in UnitGroupsVariable and Unit - Damage (Value) to picked unit

call DestroyGroup( udg_UnitGroupVariable )

that should do the trick!

i could create a test map if you want.

Level 3
I understand what you're saying, the thing is I usually test my triggers so they'll work and only if I see it's worth all the trouble I remove the leaks too, because if it's a bad trigger, why bother...

Level 9
Also, Watermelon, why is it better to use Triggering unit over casting unit?

Im not Watermelon^^ but Triggering unit is a "Local" variable, so if the trigger is triggered again when its running it wont interrupt eachother, if i use for example "A unit cast a ability." and then a "Wait 20 seconds", and then "Kill Casting unit" but it was triggered again before 20 seconds, the first caster wouldn't die. AFAIK

Level 14
Im not Watermelon^^ but Triggering unit is a "Local" variable, so if the trigger is triggered again when its running it wont interrupt eachother, if i use for example "A unit cast a ability." and then a "Wait 20 seconds", and then "Kill Casting unit" but it was triggered again before 20 seconds, the first caster wouldn't die. AFAIK

Mother of....*$#%#$%! Seriously? Oh, that would have saved me so much time...

Status
Not open for further replies.