• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Should I Still Use WIDGETIZER

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Using widgetizer is a very bad idea. it breaks maps and make it so when you play a widgetized map you will probably desync next time you play another map. So you have to restart your wacraft 3 each time you play a widgetized map.

Level 14
Using widgetizer is unsafe.
The problem will not occur when you are only playing your map but when you switch from a widgetized map to almost any other map in multiplayer.
The bigger is the map, the most chance you have to desycn. The desync comes from cache collision as far as I know.
This is why most big maps will tell you to restart Warcraft 3 before playing them.
Restarting Warcraft 3 clear the cache.

Basically people using widgetizer are making playing in multiplayer a pain.

Level 7
Using widgetizer is unsafe.
The problem will not occur when you are only playing your map but when you switch from a widgetized map to almost any other map in multiplayer.
The bigger is the map, the most chance you have to desycn. The desync comes from cache collision as far as I know.
This is why most big maps will tell you to restart Warcraft 3 before playing them.
Restarting Warcraft 3 clear the cache.

Basically people using widgetizer are making playing in multiplayer a pain.

Will this happen no matter what settings? I currently create hundreds of levels for abilities so I thought widgetizing the map would help loading time, since I would prefer abilities preloaded than lag on cast.

Attachments

• howtouse vex and u9.jpg
    howtouse vex and u9.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 76
Level 7
What is the use of so many abilities level?

You can use Vexorian's Optimizer. It's 100% safe and will improve your load time.
I'm developing a custom hero map, as I have previously

Widigitzer has some bugs. Some of its settings will remove all destructables on the map and such.

Generally I would only recommend looking into using it if your map suffers from long load times. It is not a tool you want to use without good reason.

Used it previously and it seemed to have not caused any bug with the destructibles.

Vexorian's optimizer won't do anything for the object editor load time. Ultimate Map SLK Optimizer-10 seconds,Make your map Smaller And Faster - Wc3C.net Once you find the right options for this, just keep trying to use it until it works.

To make vex's work, you need a custom common.j and blizzard.j in the tweaks section.

Should it yield better results than Widgetizer?

Level 21
Well, binding properly is around 7x abilities as normal, but does not explain the hundreds of levels.
I can give a tip for loading times though. A single letter in any object editor text costs as much as an entire number field, so most of the loading time most likely comes from ability descriptions. You can use ctrl-D in the object editor if you're unsure whether a specific field is text or not. It shows everything the way it really is in the map file.
Also, abilities are only loaded when they are actually put on a unit on the map, meaning that the loading time only applies to initial units. Abilities loaded later will only cause a lag spike once a unit with them is actually on the map. You can manipulate this to have things load whenever you want instead of all at first. You can basically choose when the lag spike happens and if you reduce the amount of text in object editor you can also reduce it.
All this without any external tool and without any technical issues.

Level 7
Yes, it will.
I shall test that then

Well, binding properly is around 7x abilities as normal, but does not explain the hundreds of levels.
I can give a tip for loading times though. A single letter in any object editor text costs as much as an entire number field, so most of the loading time most likely comes from ability descriptions. You can use ctrl-D in the object editor if you're unsure whether a specific field is text or not. It shows everything the way it really is in the map file.
Also, abilities are only loaded when they are actually put on a unit on the map, meaning that the loading time only applies to initial units. Abilities loaded later will only cause a lag spike once a unit with them is actually on the map. You can manipulate this to have things load whenever you want instead of all at first. You can basically choose when the lag spike happens and if you reduce the amount of text in object editor you can also reduce it.
All this without any external tool and without any technical issues.

Dummy abilities and loads of level up
Well I choose to put the strain to the loading time instead, the game completely freezes for a second if I add something out of nowhere.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
Used it previously and it seemed to have not caused any bug with the destructibles.
Yet for dozens of people it has. It really depends on what doodads and what destructables are used.
Dummy abilities and loads of level up
Use trigger scaling instead. That way 1 level for abilities is all that is needed. Simplified game design, easier to use and easier for WC3 to load.

If U9 and vexorian's together don't improve your map load time, I would really like to try it out myself and see that @topic starter.

Yet for dozens of people it has. It really depends on what doodads and what destructables are used.
Use trigger scaling instead. That way 1 level for abilities is all that is needed. Simplified game design, easier to use and easier for WC3 to load.
JASS isn't able to do everything object editor can, not even 1.29 offers that yet.

Level 13
Widgetizer is acceptable if you tell people your map is widgetized. Purely anecdotal but i feel like people prefer to steer away from widgetized maps just because of the hassle they cause players i.e. having to restart WC3 AND having to remember to restart WC3 (nothing more irritating than starting a game only to have 2-3 people desync at start because they played a widgetized map prior). Generally it doesn't take long for people to realize what maps corrupt their cache, and once they do, they may avoid playing it (i know i do :p).

But i have to agree with the sentiment here, abilities with a hundred levels are usually only ever used for applying a scaling effect/stat (e.g. 1-100 armour) and should be used sparingly. If you have a spell like holy light with 10+ levels, and one copy for Q, W, E and R and you're doing that for many hero abilities, then stop right there, because that's exactly how not to use the world editor in a sustainable way.

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

Oh god please don't, that app is awful. It causes desyncs -> into the trash it goes.
Dota's not widgetized.
I don't like having to restart WC3 after each game I play. Then there's always someone who forgot to do it and desyncs and ruins the game anyways.

EdgeOfChaos

E

EdgeOfChaos

I'm no expert on this either, all I know is that widgetized maps desync players if you play it more than one time, and DotA does not have that behavior.

Status
Not open for further replies.