• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[General] Damage types

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
native UnitDamageTarget takes unit whichUnit, widget target, real amount, boolean attack, boolean ranged, attacktype attackType, damagetype damageType, weapontype weaponType returns boolean

attackType and weaponType speak for itself. But I wonder: what's damageType for? How is DAMAGE_TYPE_ACID different from e.g. DAMAGE_TYPE_SONIC?

How can I use different damage types of a unit's attack in the object editor? For example, I would like to make a unit that does sonic damage, and an upgrade that increases armor against sonic attacks. Is this possible?

Level 26
It's a thing that blizzard planned to use for some cool stuff but.. unfortunetaly they haven't finished the project.

There are only two usefull damage types. Universal (always deals 100% damage, no matter the armor) and Normal (takes the reduction).
There is no difference between the rest except for the name, and I'm sorry to tell you that there is no function that can check what's the damage type of damage source.

If you were playing some of great projects/maps uploaded on hiveworkshop you should remember that some of them have thing like: 'firebolt deals fire damage' - reduction to water armor (I just wrote what was on my mind, hope you get what I meant).
Remember though, that it's all about triggering and adding invisible abilities, although it's always just to make game cooler and doesn't change other ascpects of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.