• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Should I put my resources back up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 31
Now that everyone has had a chance to see a THW with none of nestharus' stuff around, should I put them back on to the site?

A lot of people had wanted my stuff gone. I took the stuff down to see if they'd come back. Is the community more active or less active since my stuff went down.

Let me know ^)^.

Furthermore, as some of you may know, I did some serious re-engineering on several resources. Boolean Expression needs some re-engineering done (in the background***, not API) to improve performance even more. I have had absolutely 0 time to get to it. I'll probably have time in the winter.

Anyways, thoughts and opinions? Of course, if I were to put stuff back up, it would be slowly. I would only put up resources that are current (updated to match my huge sweep). The maps of re-engineered resources also contain the version of the resource from before the sweep (Unit Indexer map has original Unit Indexer, for example).

Also, lately, I've been working on a legit Tower Wars game using Torque3D and a game engine running off of OpenGL and SFML. Shhhh.

edit
Judging by the negativity here, I think it would be best if I continue to stay away from the community. My prior conclusion was that the cost of having me here outweighed the benefits. This still seems to stand. I am not one that likes to bring about continuous harm to a community, which is why I took the stuff down in the first place. If my being here is just going to result in fighting, it's best if I just stay away.

Thank you everyome for letting me know.

Last edited:

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Yes, please come back here.

Also you could make some tutorials on how do actually use your stuff >.<

Level 12
Knowing nothing about the discussion or situation that happened, I completely agree with jondrean.

Put the useful stuff back up and give some tutorials. I was especially interested how the network synch stuff works.

Level 7
Some of those 'lot of people' didn't ever come to hive anymore. Take a look at the spell section, and a little on the jass support forum, most of them use UnitIndexer :).

So I agree with this fact, you should put things back (also unblock your profile >_> I hate to go to github just to private message you).

should I put them back on to the site?

Let me know ^)^.
Seems like you put yourself over others, and want to glancre as the merciful Nestharus now.
The one who might come back and brings all his cool resources with.

Of course you made useful resources that may be used by many systems, but wtf... should we beg for it?
This is still a community, and it seems like you want a special treatment in it.

Don't understand me wrong now, I welcome it to see (at least some) of your resources back on Hive, but it's ridiculous that you engender so much attention about them.

You want to support the community and not act selfish? Share your stuff, if you think it might be useufl.
Else, you should stay on GitHub.

Level 23
My first post was short because it was from phone, and typing anything longer on phone is total pain in ass.

Continuation:

I fully agree with the two posts above, but more with Dalvengyr's.

Your API is totally rubbishly documented, and no we dont have IntelliSense that would tell us all your functions, if we want to see your function names, we have to dig through your unreadable code. Also you make ridiculous chains of depedencies. For real now, who needs WHOLE LIBRARY for 1 global variable?(UnitIndexer). Thats just beyond ridiculous.

EDIT: removed silly shit in () block, because I dont think I was thinking while typing that :D

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

That criticism :p

I still think you should bring your stuff here, with tutorials ofc

Level 31
If I were to put the stuff back up, I still would not use optional requirements and have very long chains.

If you look at the latest stuff, there are indeed complete in-depth tutorials showing how to use things. These are included in the maps. When I released the new DDS and UnitIndexer, people complained that the tutorial was too long.

For more straight forward resources like Trigger and BooleanExpression, I would still have simple API Listings and short descriptions of each member as well as short descriptions of the resources like I've always done in the past. If you want to skip past the descriptions/API and delve into the code to learn it, that's your prerogative. Furthermore, for more complex methods and methods that are related to each other, I do include examples of usage. For more complex systems, I include tutorials, or at the very least, examples.

There would still be very long dependency chains. I have never and will never make all-in-one solutions.

Seems like you put yourself over others, and want to glancre as the merciful Nestharus now.
The one who might come back and brings all his cool resources with.

This isn't quite true. I ask now that people have had a chance to see whether they want my stuff on the site or not. Before, there was overwhelming favor to take it off (except for a select few). I now ask if people still want to take that stance, or if they have changed their minds. This is a polite courtesy. I don't care either way and it's less work for me to just keep everything on github.

I do have a lot of resources, and if I were to put them all back up, it would completely flood the JASS Section, which is also why, if I were to do this, that I propose I put them back up slowly.

The question is very simple. Now that you've had a chance to see both sides of the situation, do you want my stuff here or not?

Level 12
I do have a lot of resources, and if I were to put them all back up, it would completely flood the JASS Section, which is also why, if I were to do this, that I propose I put them back up slowly.

One good example why people were annoyed by all of those threads is AutoFly. I mean you make very useful things, but c'mon..
And there are a lot of other snippet things which do not deserve an own thread because most map makers wont use them.

Imo that annoyance can easily be prevented if you start bundling things together in one big thread. Inside make different categories like data structures, etc etc..

Level 12
so basically this thread is about begging you to come back? I personally dont think I want person that seeks attention so hard(+ your ego and arrogance) in here.

Fanboys can feel free to jump on me
He asks whether to put his things up or not, nothing more. Don't be so easily butthurt.

Kazeon

Hosted Project: EC
Level 33
do you want my stuff here or not?
I would say just keep'em there at github. Moving them all is going to be extra overhead plus you have to update those descriptions. Otherwise, they are just going to be gy-ed uselessly. Except if you bother, then why not? It's not our rights to decline your resources here. It's your own decision after all.

Just close this thread since negativity seems to rise.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I think it's what Nes wants to check; if the negativity against his resources is still the same. There's a reason he toke them off.

I'd really like Nesthratus' resources - JASS subforum, since they're so massive in numbers, still useful.

Also why do you make init module? Is there some advantage over just plain onInit method or init function?

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

I don't know what those nxnnn stuff mean.

But the stuff I understand seem useful :)

This is a polite courtesy. I don't care either way and it's less work for me to just keep everything on github

The question is very simple. Now that you've had a chance to see both sides of the situation, do you want my stuff here or not?
Frankly said this does not seem as just a "polite courtesy". It seems arrogant to me, what you're doing here.
Since they are all your resources, why do you care if random guys over the world say yes/no to to submit your resources on THW. Do it if you want, if not don't.
We all know some of your resources are very useful, and they work very efficient. So let don't let us discuss it for you. And, at all.. there is no reason to generalize them.

No, I would like to read more opinions...

I'd really like Nesthratus' resources - JASS subforum, since they're so massive in numbers, still useful.

Also why do you make init module? Is there some advantage over just plain onInit method or init function?
You want create a JASS subforum for Nestharus now? And this should not be a special treatment? - Just, wow...
And this is not the place to dicuss scripting methodics here.

Level 31
You want create a JASS subforum for Nestharus now? And this should not be a special treatment? - Just, wow...
And this is not the place to dicuss scripting methodics here.

There is a precedent. Consider hosted projects. You can just as easily have hosted coders. I am against both this and hosted projects in general.

Furthermore, it is against policy to bundle resources. It has always been one resource per thread. The Helper wanted me to bundle all Lua resources. I asked how this was any different from bundling all vJASS resources.

Furthermore, the approval process of such bundlea is nigh impossible. What happens if someone else writes data structures? This leads us to the argument for sub-sections, like data structures, data management, game events, and so on. These arguments were held long ago, but nothing came of them.

Judging by the negativity here, I think it would be best if I continue to stay away from the community. My prior conclusion was that the cost of having me here outweighed the benefits. This still seems to stand. I am not one that likes to bring about continuous harm to a community, which is why I took the stuff down in the first place. If my being here is just going to result in fighting, it's best if I just stay away.

Level 23
yes, one thread per one resource. But in no way is one function with 60 sets to one array a fully valid resource. It could've just been one function inside the one and only resource that used it.

As IcemanBo said, this thread is silly, its only up to you if you decide to put your stuff back in, noone can stop you, but not many will climb your ass to do so either(some may, so thats why I said not many)

I did not want to attack you, to convince you not to come back. Really.
As I said I some of your stuff is really useful and I would anjoy to see it back, but not this way via public "begging".
Please don't make some of us resposible, if you share your stuff on THW or not. So even if you also felt now negative feedback of me, it's no excuse/reason for sharing/not sharing your submissions.

Level 7
The only problem that I see, exist just because Nes has a habit to make everything a discussion, he want to talk about everything, he want to argument about everything, and some people really dislike it.

I understand both sides, but I don't see how been negativity will help in a solution at all.

Nestharus, just do what you want, wanna do a test to see how people will react? Do it, start with UnitIndexer, one of the biggest thread. But as IcemanBo said, it's not a negative feedback, and it's not our decision.

JASS:
*	*/ uses /*
*		*/ WorldBounds			/*
*		*/ Init					/*
*		*/ AllocQ				/*
*		*/ ErrorMessage 		/*
*		*/ StaticUniqueList 	/*
*		*/ UnitIndexerSettings 	/*
*		*/ Trigger				/*
Make all of them optional, most of people didn't care about WorldBounds, Init (wtf? a library for Init?), ErrorMessage and a Setting as library.

Level 12
I'm not part of THW community anymore since a long time.

But you, Nestharus, are a poor self-centered man. What you are doing here is plain arrogance. You are blackmailing the whole community for accepting your standards, nothing less.

If you really wanted something else than satisfying your own ego, you would have let the community appropriate itself your resources. You would have let it manage itself the sorting of your resources - what is fine, what could be reviewed and what can be removed -.
Instead, you removed everything and then ask if the community got a lesson from it?

You're sick.

Level 13
Pretty amusing thread I must say.

@Nestharus, you decided to put down your stuff. Only you can decide to put it up again.
It's not like the world stopped turning while they were gone. For some people it could be definitely helpful. But for gods sake, try making a map instead of fine tuning systems that might never be used.

Level 31
Reached a conclusion awhile back on page 2 ^_-. Put this quote into the first post as well.

Thanks again all.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Do you force your resources to use your Unit Indexer? Because I want to use the Perfect Unit Indexer :(

JASS:
function GetUnitId takes unit u returns integer
    return GetUnitUserData(u)
endfunction

Yeah, this tells me you give all the units index. Cohadar's solution only gives index for the units you need the index for.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

Is that... a wrapper? :eek:
No, that is Cohadar>>Nestharus

Just kidding, but I only need resurrect event and the only res. event I found is in nes' unit event, but the requirement chains make me post 10k lines of code for just one event,

could someone link me to lightweight unit revive event? Basically I need to know when hero is alive again, ready to trigger the DeathEvent.

Status
Not open for further replies.