• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Should I continue this map?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
So, I was working on this map that I had put a lot of work into a while back and due to big events in my life, the map got put on hold. I recently came across it again and I'm wondering if I should continue it's development now that I have time again. I made a video showing what the map is about and what not. I'd like some feedback on it and whether you guys think it would be a good map to continue and finish.

Level 20
To be honest, I didn't watch the whole video, but from what I've seen the concept looks interesting.

I'm not going to tell you whether you should or should not continue it, though.
This is a decision that you should make yourself - if you're not passionate about the project and don't feel like completing it, then I don't really see a point in telling you to do something against yourself, but if you do feel the urge to work on it, why would anyone's opinion stop you from doing what you want? :)

So, my advice - if you feel like completing that map, go for it:)

Oh, and by the way - if you want feedback, I think it'd be better if you provide a download link instead of a video as I presume more people will be inclined to try the map rather than watch 45 minutes of footage :))

Level 11
OK, your video is, long. So I, too, didn't manage to watch the whole thing. As @MasterBlaster said, if you feel like completing it, then why not.

It could be an epic map in the end!

Assess your reasons of not completing it and maybe you find that things are just temporary, try reshuffling your time. Nobody is urging you. =)

Level 6
To be honest, I didn't watch the whole video, but from what I've seen the concept looks interesting.

I'm not going to tell you whether you should or should not continue it, though.
This is a decision that you should make yourself - if you're not passionate about the project and don't feel like completing it, then I don't really see a point in telling you to do something against yourself, but if you do feel the urge to work on it, why would anyone's opinion stop you from doing what you want? :)

So, my advice - if you feel like completing that map, go for it:)

Oh, and by the way - if you want feedback, I think it'd be better if you provide a download link instead of a video as I presume more people will be inclined to try the map rather than watch 45 minutes of footage :))

Well see, the thing is I don't want to dump a bunch of work into this only to have no one play it. That's why I'm hoping to get some feedback early on that way I don't pour my heart and soul into it only to have everyone hate it lol.

Attachments

• WoE - MC 0.5.w3x
    22.1 MB · Views: 54
Level 11
Don't worry, once you put effort in it, nobody will not recognize it. I am still a newbie in this, yet I have uploaded my work. I've got many criticisms, but hey, I believe the community works for each other. I don't see anyone condemning your work so far, so why not? You may make up more details and quality as you go.

Go! Go! Go!

Level 8
In my opinion the maps that are most loved in this site are those that were subject to constant updates and refining.
Also those same maps are often top quality, or become in the context of this constant update process, a top quality map.

This is because most maps start with a big or constant concept (lets say an AoS, you start like a Dota clone or a heavily Dota inspired map),
and with the constant criticism, tinkering and supply of new concepts (continuing with the example, you begin to add different features, new hero classes/items based on other games you know, or by suggestions or inspiration; new models and resources; polishing existing resources and concepts; or a complete overhaul here and there, etc) you will then create (or refine if you already have an outline, which is your case as i can see) YOUR VERY OWN concept.

This uniqueness factor is what in the end will make your game stand out from the others, causing a tangible impact, which is to say that your game
will be played.

Also, since in the map repository the first maps that are shown are those that were recently updated (by default), you could say that you will have free advertising by updating your map. This can be questionable.

So constant updates (or hard/constant work), is like a self fulfilling prophecy that will make your game be loved and played.

Just don't expect to compete in the game industry tho. LOL. (well, who knows?)

Level 20
Just don't expect to compete in the game industry tho. LOL. (well, who knows?)
Well, considering that the whole concept of DOTA-type games started off as custom maps... Who the hell knows? :)

I agree with the rest, though. People here are rather friendly, so even if your map isn't that great, there's little chance that you will get "hate" :)
You might get a lot of constructive criticism, though - which isn't bad and which you can and should use to improve. If you do that, eventually your project will become "good", even if it starts off not so great :)

Level 31
It depends if you enjoy creating maps. From my personal experience, I started making small short maps, getting all the criticizm and constantly improving, even if no one really downloads or likes the map, I still did it. I was doing it until there was basically no criticism, because the experience builds up over time. If experience becomes on your side, then it is easier to commit to bigger projects, as you know that people will support you. My advice would be not to start with large projects, try small, short maps, that can be finished like in one hour or something. This way you could begin evaluating how many people support you, what people like and what not, where to improve, etc without massive time investment into the project. When you know all about it, then it is time to think about large projects. So if this project will take you several years to make and you don't know what to expect from the community, I would suggest not doing it. The best indicator if people gonna like it, is your opinion. If you think it is cool what you did, so will most of the players.

Maps that are gettings updates every week and are based on multiplayer, gets most of the downloads, but those are mostly redownloads of loyal players, so the amount of people playing may not increase, they simply redownload the newer version, therefore it is not a good indicator on how many people are playing it.

Level 6
Well, I got back into it. Just managed to fix a bug with professions that I remembered was giving me a lot of hell before. A bit of a triumphant feeling from that. I believe I will continue it. I'll start a thread later when I'm made some decent progress to warrant a 0.6 release. It's been quite a long time since I dabbled in WCE so I may need refreshers on how some things work to really start continuing. As long as I can get some sort of feedback as I go, I won't lose motivation. I do enjoy the map making process, especially when I finally get something to work the way I want. :)

Edit: I had an old thread that has all my previous updates, bug reports, plans for the future. The thread has since been locked, but I will be making a new one.

[Campaign] - My First Campaign!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.