• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Tell me if i should continue...

So should i cont. or stop?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
good that you brought that up :D

well yeah, first of all for the food i was thinking of making it unlimited, like in C&C, i was also thinking of making the training system low (like 1-3 sec) but that wont happen, it will be so laggy.

And again, for the commands, a commander will be cool, like squades cant attack (in real life) without orders, so im thinking of a commander that has these commands (attack-move, patrol, etc.)

so.....any idea?

Well, the problem with that is, it turns the game into a board game rather than real war...
In a real fight, you won't have thousands of troops being stabbed in the face and not fighting back until their commander orders them to, so I say let auto-acquire stay. The 10 control groups should be enough to control a fairly large army, since you have 12 players in the map. So, you should cap food at 120, and have military units cost food while workers do not. (For this to not seem strange, you would change the food resource to Military Population)
This way, a person can still have as many people as they want, but their military will always be controllable.
Besides, without a limit, people tend to sit in their bases making unlimited amounts of troops, hundreds, even thousands, and it becomes a battle of the internet connections to see who can make the most troops without lagging out.

Level 27
No no no, the warcraft 3 control groups are bit uncomftable and they're a real pain without practice... most of custom map players never use them, so they're not the element you should considere about...

You know, you can actually find some better alternatives, like make the map less global, like for example a siege of a single castle or battle between two or more opposting castles...

Also I just got an idea with unit training you may use... the "Reinforcements". See, your building that is in charge of training can sell or train units which cost as much of upkeep as a group of units, and whentrained it would get removed and group of troops would get spawn instead. Like you train/hire "archer squad", and after it's ready Archer Squad unit gets removed and ten archers get spawned... actually you could make some kind of system which would automatically asign these just spawned units to unit groups... though it would be complicated to make so people couldn't change groups themselves... and I wonder how the groups could be replenished after a loss of few troops...

Level 6
^ you know that reminds me of Battle For The Middle Earth II

when units dies, and the leader is still alive, units respawn after the fight

you know, if i could mix all these togather (C&C, BFTME, WCRIII, and other stuff)
this map will turn out the best, but i dont think we could do it, but wont hurt if we try :D

As for replenishing unit groups, you would simply create a unit group for each group, and if the total amount of units in that group is not equal to the amount it should be for that type of unit with due tech level, it would begin spawning.
The problem with this is, as many saw on BFME, you can save one troop from each group, bring them back, and pop out a whole new army for free. I say keep units controlled normally and grouped normally, as 10 control groups of 12 units for 12 players is more than enough; it adds up to 1440 units, and 10 control groups of 12 units can allow you to move all 120 units easily in only a couple of seconds of hitting 1, right click, 2, right click, 3, right click, which is easier done than said, for once.
If you turn this into a massing game then it will turn out improperly balanced as most warcraft strategy maps tend to. As for training multiple units at a time, this is perfectly acceptable. You would not even need to make any dummy units. Simply have the Tooltips for a unit be Create Marine Squad (or whatever unit it is). You would give groups of units certain classifications. Then, whenever a player trains a unit, it would create additional units of that type at the location of the trained unit, depending on a certain value of the unit, such as the point value of the unit or the level of the unit; whatever Real which you would convert to an integer for the sake of this trigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.