• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Short Story Contest 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
the%20hive%20workshop.png

short%20story.png
contest.png
number.png
7.png

family_guy_star_wars_ipad_wallpaper_png-1024x1024.jpg

Space Opera
Contestants are required to write a speculative, short, high-concept prose story, in a science fiction setting. "[Space operas are] a subgenre of speculative fiction that emphasizes romantic, often melodramatic adventure, set mainly or entirely in outer space, generally involving conflict between opponents possessing advanced technologies and abilities. The name has no relation to music; it is analogous to soap operas. Perhaps the most significant trait of space opera is that settings, characters, battles, powers, and themes tend to be very large-scale." [ ]

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• The entry must be at least 2000 words, and may reach a maximum of 10,000 words.
  • The entry must be written in the third person.
  • Absolutely no plagarism.
  • All entries must be written in fluent English, illegible entries will be disqualified.
  • The entry must abide by the theme.
  • The story must be written in prose, focusing on the overarching theme and grand scale.
  • At least one WIP (Work In Progress) must be presented before the deadline.
  • The story may NOT be derived from preexisting works of literature/art by any author, including yourself.

prizes.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on an award icon.
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

• Let us know if you would like to judge

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

80 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • Score shall be taken out of 50 points,
    • 15 for Style
    • 10 points for theme
    • 10 points for pacing
    • 10 points for creativity and originality
    • 5 points for eloquence
20 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

This contest shall begin on [Insert Date] and conclude on [Insert Date] at 11:59 PM GMT -0:00
The contest will close on the deadline as long as we have 3 entries. Or extended roughly until at least 3 entries are submitted (if contestant 3 and 4 submit within a few hours/day of eachother, we'll include them too of course!)

Last edited:
Level 18
Space opera? Really? That's going to be one hell of a theme lol
But I do agree: one first person view theme at a time is enough. Better make this allowed from all perspective. Especially with the "Perhaps the most significant trait of space opera is that settings, characters, battles, powers, and themes tend to be very large-scale." it would be nice to read it from a larger perspective. Otherwise that trait would greatly go to waste.

Other then that, i think it would be quite a funny theme.

Level 17
Why not third or even omni-present view? Omni-present would certainly be challenging.

But I dislike the theme, and will not participate for that reason (as I suck at writing anything funny or 'futuristic, hehe).

I think, however, there should be at least a two week break. Let people recover their linguistic juices.

Level 17
Could you edit the preferences and further explain how it is going to be judged, like what will they be looking for exactly.

Edit: Also i dont believe "humor" will play a large part in the judging preferences, a story can be dramatic instead of humorous and it will still work =P I think so at least

Space Opera? Oh man, I was hoping for an Action themed one, anyways I'll start reading books right now! :)

Space opera IS action, starwars is a space opera, so is star trek...

Could you edit the preferences and further explain how it is going to be judged, like what will they be looking for exactly.
Google the words under judging and you get a good idea.

Level 20
The sad thing is no one would no anyway - I could post something I wrote five years ago, and I doubt any would notice (I won't of course, if even for no other reason than I'd only be hindering myself) - But of course, brainstorming is hardly against rules (if it is srsly f*** that anyway). Going by the title, I'm assuming it's going to be rather humorous?

Level 20
Oxford Dictionary Definition:

fluent or persuasive speaking or writing:
a preacher of great power and eloquence

*(clearly expressing or indicating something:
the bus journey alone is eloquent of class inequality)

One word there that really bugs me.
This isn't a literature site... It's a modding site that has a few on the side SSC's there far from formal or official. We should be marking for imagination, originality, characterisation, pacing - stuff that doesn't require a good knowledge of the English language - because lets face it that gives some of us a severe advantage - ok it's only five points, but I do speak English as a first and I still think you could do with dropping that one.

*For example there were a few amazing stories in the last contest that I would not deem fluent or 'clearly expressed'.

Last edited:
Level 3
Intriguing! I will most certainly try to see if I can put together an entertaining Raygun Gothic story or some kind of dark, gritty Dystopian world. While still being a Space Opera, of course!

Level 27
The biggest part of the possible contestants appears to want the limit removed.
But ultimately it's your choice TWIF, unless the mods step in which i think is unlikely. :p

I also dont think this will be verified before the mods pull their strings together and get the awards for the last contest given out. ;)

Level 4
Well.... The theme is a bit boring and it sounds like one of my friends romance novels but the picture is good(I think Stewie is Darth Vader)

Level 20
I wouldn't mind actually that, it's a nice detour from all the hardcore seriousness of the previous stories (horror) - It'd be nice to see a few sunshines and rainbows, not to mention happy endings!

Either way don't expect this to be hosted anytime soon, seems you have to spam a mod to death to get noticed around here - and that's a rule breaker - so your back to square one anyway... :(

Level 27
Hm, it would be weird, a fairytale production, most children have been nurtured with, to be unpopular :]

Considering the things that people like on the interwebs, and even more what they DONT like, it's not really that weird. ;)

I sure know i'd not enter, but that's mainly 'cuz i dont do much but tragedy. :p Or wait... I do. But...
F**** it. I wouldnt enter, let's leave it at that.

Level 3
Eh? Fairy tale? Sounds wonderful, really, but I will only accept it in its original sense, and not as in a dumbed-down Disney-style fairy tale. Y'know, with beheadings, horrible punishments and sexual elements. The red riding hood is a sexual trip if read in its original version.

Level 8
oh, bummer... I was kind of hoping for a free theme and perspective, Guess it's not going to happen. :/ Don't think i'm going to join this one, I'm just no good whit space story's.

Status
Not open for further replies.