• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Short Story Contest #6: Survival Horror

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
the%20hive%20workshop.png

short%20story.png
contest.png
number.png
6.png

Earpn.png

Survival Horror
Contestants must create a story about an individual or a group of individuals who are dealing with supernatural phenomenons and other-worldly horrors. The story must be written from the perspective of one of the survivors.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• The entry must be at least 2000 words, and may reach a maximum of 10,000 words.
  • The entry must be written in the first-person.
  • Absolutely no plagarism.
  • All entries must be written in fluent English, illegible entries will be disqualified.
  • The entry must abide by the theme.
  • Do not take up half of the entry describing the creatures the survivors are fleeing from.

prizes.png

• First Place: 30 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 10 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

• TBA
  • TBA
contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Characters
How well were the characters presented? Were their motives and actions clear and logical according to their psyche? /25 Points

Pacing
Did the story flow along smoothly without any part feeling rushed or empty?/25 Points

Style
Were any of the events exciting or heart-pounding? How well was the story presented?/25 Points

Theme
Did the story fit the overall theme?/25 Points
  • 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on the day after Contest #5 ends. and conclude on a later date, GMT

Last edited:
Level 17
It can be based off of actual events, but it must include "supernatural phenomenons and other-worldly horrors". Such as zombies, demons, vampires, werewolves, or what have you.

A story isn't a story without a plot, that's an essentially part of a story period

No, a plot doesn't have to be fictional but a plot pretty much is the story

idk if you'd be allowed to use real events though, in that case the plots essentially for you and all you have to do is put that plot to words, though I can't see what anyone would find wrong with taking inspiration from real events.

Level 27
One thing that'd be not-so-good about a Sc2 contest is that basing a contest on a specefic lore setting and a specefic genre would limit people quite severely.
I think that it would be better to go with something along the lines of 'Futuristic'.
That meets the GENERAL idea of a Sc2 contest and still doesnt limit people to writing a story about Terrans, Protoss or Zergs.
Also, a Sc2 contest would require that people know the Sc2 lore.
And i can say that I do NOT know the Sc2 lore. :p All i know about Starcraft is that there is some pumped humans in heavy blue armor, there's some creepy space-insects and there's some less-creepy space-insects with psi-blades.

But then again there would definetely be people who would LOVE a Sc2 story contest, so i'm not going to say that there shouldnt be made one.
I am though not sure who would actually participate in a such contest, as we all know that if it is hosted TWIF is going to win it. XD

Level 17
Well dragon, there is a BIG difference between a 'futuristic' theme and a 'sc2' theme. A futuristic theme can be largely stereotyped(Flying cars etc.) A futuristic scene doesnt have to be that... it can be anything that has not happened yet, and that we havnt advanced in yet. I.E. shuttles that a normal person can take to the moon. But, a sc2 theme would be like you said, zergs terrans, etc.

Level 17
Isn't the motive in a Survival Horror.. to.. survive?

Yes but it's how they survive. Everyone is not going to do the same thing and react the same way to the dangers they are presented with.
And it wouldn't make sense if for example a character who is portrayed as weak and timid suddenly picks up a bat and starts beating the living crap out of everything, at least if there is no connection between the radical psyche change.

Status
Not open for further replies.