• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Short Story Contest #3!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
the%20hive%20workshop.png

short%20story.png
contest.png
number.png
3.png

Heirloom
Literature works of the Warcraft variety!
Entrants are required to produce a 5000 word or less short story based on Warcraft's Lore occurring AFTER the 2nd game (so no, not during or before the 2nd game).
There is no real theme other than your main character must use an heirloom of some sort to accomplish any task you see fit. This is the only plot requirement other than it having to be based in Azeroth!
Enjoy and have fun!
First drafts to be done 3 weeks after the start date, final drafts to be done 1 week after that.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Entries must be over 2000 words but under 5000. If your story exceeds this slightly it may still be accepted provided the submission still follows all the other rules below. Submissions that are under 2000 words will not be accepted, no exceptions.
  • All work must be the entrants own. No plagiarism of any kind!
  • Submissions must satisfy the stated theme and lore requirements.
  • All entries must be written in well structured English prose. Any entries not written in good english will be rejected.
  • You must have fun while writing your tale! :)
prizes.png

• First Place: 40 reputation points and your entry on an award icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

• TBA
  • TBA
contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Plot Structure
Was the plot exciting and did you genuinely enjoy reading the story? Did it follow a good line or did it make little sense and jump around too much without taking into consideration previous events? Were problems resolved well or in a way that seemed obvious or contrived?10 Points

Characters & Development
Were the characters memorable and realistic? Could you easily imagine the characters being portrayed or did you have a hard time picturing them and finding them believable?10 Points

Flow
Did the piece read well? Did you find yourself easily following the plot and writing or was it hard to read and understand?10 Points

Descriptions and Scenes
How was the overall feeling of the world that had been created, was it exciting and vivid or lacking in detail and attention?10 Points
  • 60 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 40 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
entries.png

If you would like to enter the contest simply make a post in this thread, stating the information about your entry.

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on 4th February and will conclude on 11:59, 4th March 2010, GMT

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 6
Hm... let's see... its short, its a story and it uses Warcraft Lore. No rules are violated. Perfect. Ah, yes, its open ended!

Note: Make your rules clearer.

Yes, I see how complicated a writing contest that's been done twice before can be now...

The rules, write a short story that is based within the Warcraft world, and adhere's to the majority of Warcraft Lore. Minimum words, 500, maximum 2000.

OR option 2:

Write a short story about whatever the hell you want, same minimum and maximum words.

Submissions are judged by public vote, all stories must be written in good English prose.
Unlike this reply.

Level 6
Thanks for trying, but this is sorta simple and not really worth having a contest of.

Why's that? Writing a genuinely good short story is not simple. Do you believe the author's of the world need no talent to do their job? Or that they have an easy job, that anyone can do their job?

Writing something that is genuinely good is hard, just as hard as producing a model, a texture or a map.

Plus the stories could provide some fine inspiration for the modelers, artists and mappers on these forums.

Level 1
Well then, if people want proper rules...

Keeping a consistency with already present Lore, participants must write a story between 1,000 and 3,000 words.
4 weeks will be given, and at the 3 point mark, participants should have finalized drafts.
The story must contain the following: an Orc that betrays his family, a paladin's war hammer, and a lonely Kobold with an unlikely assortment of belongings.
Correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation are to be valued highly, as well as consistency with Lore, and a solid plot.

Anything else? I might even judge if nobody else wants to.

Level 6
Well then, if people want proper rules...

Keeping a consistency with already present Lore, participants must write a story between 1,000 and 3,000 words.
4 weeks will be given, and at the 3 point mark, participants should have finalized drafts.
The story must contain the following: an Orc that betrays his family, a paladin's war hammer, and a lonely Kobold with an unlikely assortment of belongings.
Correct spelling, grammar, and punctuation are to be valued highly, as well as consistency with Lore, and a solid plot.

Anything else? I might even judge if nobody else wants to.

Liking all the rules except for the pre-defined plot elements, a little too linear : /

Well I'm no writter so I'm not planning on joining this, but it's good how lately it seems like more and more interests are being accepted as contests and either becoming approved or near approved (Things a little less wc3 related like this, music and pixel art (Emoticon contest, hmmm I wonder if thats ever going to get started or if everyone has lost interest), instead of the normal business of Terraining, Modeling and Texturing.

ill do it, should i make a new thread?

Just edit your first post

Level 8
I don't like that the main character must be a female and has to use an heirloom to accomplish something. The gender of the character should be free for the writer to choose no mater what, otherwise you limit the writing mind. And what do you mean by "First drafts to be done 2 weeks after the start date, Final drafts to be done 1 week after that." Wouldn't that like be a HUGE spoiler for the contestants story?

Level 12
It also has to be written when it starts, as per all rules of contests, so you couldn't use that :(

I may have to back out of this in a few weeks. My english teacher took a note of my writing ability and is going to make me pump out a few stories for a contest.

I got bored

Tasha Sarow Soul

Our story beguines in the time before the burning legion.....in a farmer village witch has been trying to make something out of a land that was poisoned by war...A women was bringing her child to the world , that day a girl has been born. After many wars and many losses the village population was almost only female. There were some solider sent by the king and some boys that barely could lift a sword. Months passed by then a year , and the people thought the peace has final came in the world... One night suddenly the watches blow the horn witch meant that the village was under attack. The mother of the girl hidden the girl in the closet. The village was under attack by the orcs who were wandering through Lordaeron to reach Stormwind. They destroyed everything in the village. But the little girl got lucky and didnt get hurt. The next day an expedition lead by a Paladin named Thesion. Walking through the village they find a badly hurt women that is alive. Thesion asks her what happened :
"Orcs attacked our village,tell me....is... is my daughter alright she...she...she is in the closet in that house agh..." The women died. Thesion went to the house and found the girl in the closed. He has taken her with him. When the girl got bigger Thesion thought her the way of light, witch means he trained her to be a Paladin. With sixteen Thesion decided to send the girl witch got the name Tasha to the Archmage city since she has shown much skill in spell casting her heal was twice as strong as his.In the mean time the burning legion was about to start the invasion on Azaroth. Teaching Tasha was Dethors duty an strong wizard known for his earth spells. Tasha has shown much talent from the start but she was sad because she didnt know her family and never had a chance to grow like a normal kid. After tow years of practice Thesion asked Tasha to go with him on an expedition to the Burning Steeps. Tasha agreed to travel with Thesion. They traveled 3 days and stopped at Restern a small village near the open sea . A friend of Thesion asked them to clean the swamps from the murlocs an easy task Tasha assumed to be. The mission was to kill the leader and leave. As Tasha distracted the murlocs with an illusion Thesion hit the leader of the murlocs with his hammer killing him instantly but also driving the attention of the murlocs from the illusion to Thesion. As 15 murlocs jumped on Thesion , Tasha got confused and scared "What to do now" thought she . As Thesion was screaming for help Tasha remembered her master casting an hard to learn spell witch made the earth shake and blast the enemy in the air .
"Here goes nothing" she sad and blasted the murlocs away. As fast as they could they went to their horses and run to the village where they got rewarded for killing the murloc leader. The next they they started traveling again . It took them 3 more days to get to Stormwind. They rested in a tavern for a day and started traveling again and reached the Burning Steeps camp just before the night. After exploring the burning steeps and killing small dragon whelps , giant wolfs, giant spiders, ogres and orcs they went back to Stormwind. In Stormwind they stayed 10 days.
Tasha got bored for just siting all day long and asked Thesion if she should return to the Archmage city to learn more. Thesion told her that he was asked to go to the Blasted Lands to explore the strange small power holes. He didnt know if he should take her or tell her to go train. Tasha started bagging him to take her with him.... so he did. Traveling 3 days through Deadwing Pass they Finally made it to the Fort. There they rested and in the morning went to see thous strange power holes. Thersion after sawing on of thous things thought some hours until Tasha sad "Aren't Thous Portals??" Thersion:" Oh no..." Tasha:"So they arent portals?" Thersion: " No, no i mean yes they are but... I have been told by my father that this power holes brought the Orcs in our world . So probably they will bring other creatures stronger then the Orcs this time. We should go rest and tomorrow get to Stormwind and report this." Tasha:" Ok " . They went to rest and as they were ready to go a storm started. This wasnt an ordinary storm it was a Demon Storm . A big explosion was saw from the place where the power holes were. Thersion ride as fast as never before Tasha barely manages to follow. As they arrive a giant portal has been opened to Outland. Thersion gets down from his horse and goes to the portal. As Tasha wants to follow him "Stay there" sad Thersion " You will have to report if i dont manage it, you are our last hope" suddenly out of the portal demons come out an big army. One of them noticed Thersion and Tasha. Some creatures started to shoot on them Thersion was hit so was Tasha. "Run go to back to the fort and tell them to inform Stormwind i will hold them off" sad Thersion , "But i cant leave you here you will die" Tasha responded "I will die for a good cause and that is to protect you and Azaroth from another catastrophe, NOW GO!" . Tasha was hit but she ride back to the Fort and told them about what happened. They started to heal her wounds and sent a scout to Stormwind to report. She refused to be healed and run away to the portal where she attacked alone the army of The Burning Legion. Thersuin has somehow survived and she wanted to help him. Her anger became a key factor she felt a great power and got in an avatar state in witch she could cast spells that were more times stronger then her usual.
But the army of the Burning Legion was to strong . As thous tow meet in the middle of the army Thersion says " You shouldn't be here why arent you in the fort??" "I couldnt leave you here, my life would not make any sense for me without you, you are like my family witch i never had " sad Tasha . After some minutes of fighting the warriors of the fort came to the portal and started helping them out. Many loses on both sides but the burning legion outnumbered the small army of the fort. Then a miracle happened a portal was opened from the Archmage city and the mages came out. They bond their powers and teleported all the living people back to the fort. "My child i didnt teach you thous spells or did i ?"Dethors sad "Master I knew you will came to help us" Tasha sad , Dethors:"This is not a good day to day Azeroth still needs heroes to prepare the defense".Thersion was broth to the medics and they started to heal him. Tasha had to rest since she almost emptied her whole power. The people had to leave since they were to near to the enemy. After only 1 h they started their jurney. While traveling through a jungle the leader of the fort Mastic noticed that people were just gone.... after some time from 1000 men and women that went on this jurney only 100 left. Since the wizards couldnt use the teleport spell again they had to continue and be ready for everything. As they were about to leave the jungle Trolls attacked them and a horrible blood bath started. The first to die was Thersion unable to move because of the healing herbs he was hit by a spear. The people got panic and run in all directions making it bad for the fighters to attack the enemy. More and more people died of it and in the end only 5 people left to fight. Wonded and almost out of power to stand they continue fighting a desperate in witch they couldnt win. As the spears were thrown Tasha was still convinced that they will survive. The spears hit all the survived...the trolls left them to bled to death. "What a shame and i wanted to see so much to do so much in my life but now i am bleeding to death, is that my destiny ? To be dammed to not have a moment to enjoy the things that make me happy?" Tasha's last words.

The End

a bit over the limit soz 7764 :( I will reedit it later i g2g sleep now :d

Status
Not open for further replies.