1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
  5. The Highway to Hell has been laid open. Come along and participate in the 5th Special Effect Contest.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Shockwave w/ out homing...

Discussion in 'Triggers & Scripts' started by pandamanana, May 17, 2007.

1. pandamanana

pandamanana

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm making a small Anime Map and many of my Anime heros have skills based off of shockwave (angel arm, wind scar)

but I found out a very wierd thing I did not know about Shockwave... that it HOMES! Vash The Stampede (the user of the Angel Arm) stands there for a few seconds (due to casting time) and then BLAM uber damage to anyone he targets since his ultimate is HOMING! Is there a way to make it so when u cast the ability Shockwave it does not shoot at anyone you target but the ground underneath them?

(here is an other example of the leetness and inbalanced ness of a homing shockwave... Inuyasha is casting Wind Scar on an enemy. The enemy runs behind him to avoid his Wind Scar. Inuyasha does his casting animation but the Wind Scar (shockwave) shoots backwards at the target instead of where the target was at the begining of casting! )

this is very annoying and I would very much love a way to fix this... thank you very much

2. Chaos Overlord

Chaos Overlord

Resources:
    Resources:
    make it so it targets ground and not units. That way they can only target a point on the ground and trust me, that point will NOT be moving any time soon. Problem solved.

3. pandamanana

pandamanana

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    well I think not.

Shockwave starts out with targets of : Ground, Structure.
    For some reason you can still target units with this and when I set it to...
    Ground, Non-Hero it does no damage to heros.

You have not solved the problem. but thank you for trying ^_^

4. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Make an ability based off Channel that has a Point Target, and cause it to make a dummy unit cast Shockwave at the target point.

5. Dr Super Good

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    Simply reduce the damage it deals to a more humane ammount. Or lower the projectile speed.

I also feel this is not so much a trigger problem but a problem using WE, thus to the WEHZ it goes. Rui, if this turns into major trigger talk, send it back to spells and systems.

6. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    You forgot to move it, super ><

7. Tooolbox

Tooolbox

Resources:
    Maps:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    This is the solution.

As you may know from using Channel, the settings that choose between unit, ground, and unit/ground targeting options are unavailable in normal spells, hardwired in.

8. pandamanana

pandamanana

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I'm a bit confused with using Channel because this is the first time I have done so. And yes I have examined Conan's Tutorial on TheHelper.net but I really didn't get an answer to my problem.

Heres my problem = I have my Channel version of Angel Arm and my triggers setting up the dummy caster and such. But when my hero (Vash) learns the spell it disapears! eek! Could someone help a confused n00blet?

9. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Options - Visible must be checked

10. pandamanana

pandamanana

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    wow thx Poot. but I'm still having aproblem.

I have it set so that when Vash (hero) casts AngelArm (Channel)
    it creates a dummycaster with AngelArm (Shockwave) and sets the level of that to the level of Vash's AngelArm. Then it orders the Last Created Unit to Tauren Chieftain - Shockwave at the target point of ability being cast and gives it a 5 second expiration timer. But this still doesn't work. I'm wondering which I should be using? When caster starts the effect of ability? or When caster finishes casting ability or anything that I have over looked?

thx you majorly for your help!

11. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    events should be Starts the Effect of an Ability, yes

Can you please post the trigger?

12. pandamanana

pandamanana

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    yes sure! here you go.
    • Angel Arm
      • Events
        • Unit - A unit Finishes casting an ability
      • Conditions
        • (Ability being cast) Equal to Angel Arm
      • Actions
        • Unit - Create 1 dummy caster Angel for (Owner of (Casting unit)) at (Position of (Casting unit)) facing Default building facing degrees
        • Unit - Set level of Angel Arm for (Last created unit) to (Level of Angel Arm for (Casting unit))
        • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Orc Tauren Chieftain - Shockwave (Target point of ability being cast)
        • Unit - Add a 5.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)

13. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Finishes Casting an Ability doesn't store Target Point of Ability Being Cast, or Casting Unit, as far as I know. just Triggering Unit.

Try Starts the Effect of an Ability, and replace Casting Unit with Triggering Unit, because the latter is better.

Finally, you may want to clean up those leaks X_x

14. pandamanana

pandamanana

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    mmm... I never really understood wtf a memory leak was. and I seached the Hive for a post or something explaining it, without luck. So I finally just downloaded Im_On_56k's Memory Leak checker and figured out wtf a Memory leak was and how I could fix them. Thx so Much 4 the help though. I will test later to see if this works cause I'm reallllly tired right now and must sleep.
    (BTW I added you to my map's credits and gave you rep 4 all your help... thx much!)

*EDIT* I tested Vash's Angel Arm and the trigger creates the dummy caster but he does nothing...
    here is my trigger
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Set Vash_Location = (Position of (Triggering unit))
      • Set angelarmlocation = (Target point of ability being cast)
      • Unit - Create 1 dummy caster Angel for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at Vash_Location facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Set level of Angel Arm for (Last created unit) to (Level of Angel Arm for (Triggering unit))
      • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Orc Tauren Chieftain - Shockwave angelarmlocation
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_Vash_Location)
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_angelarmlocation)

It summons the unit but it does not cast Angel Arm (shockwave)... :,(

I really need this problem with Shockwave fixed... More than 4 heros have a spell similar to Angel Arm and without them I will not be able to host or work on my map any further. Could someone please help?

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2007
  15. -Nosferatu-

-Nosferatu-

Resources:
    Resources:
    This is stupid question but anyway does ure dummy caster have ability that he needs to cast(Angel Arm) cuz u aren't giving it to him via triggers?

16. pandamanana

pandamanana

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yes he does
    and yes the spell has no cooldown or mana cost

17. -Nosferatu-

-Nosferatu-

Resources:
    Resources:
    I redone ure trigger in my editor and it worked perfectly for me. Probably something is wrong with ure dummy caster or ure abilities. I don't see anything else that could be wrong.

18. PurplePoot

PurplePoot

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    -make sure the orderstring is correct (shockwave)
    EDIT: Didn't see page 2 at first

Other than that, it looks fine.

(is your spell Point-Target? I assume so)

19. pandamanana

pandamanana

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yes My Dummy has the spell... Here is a screenshot of it just to make sure
    [​IMG]
    and here is the trigger I am using
    • Angel Arm
      • Events
        • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
      • Conditions
      • Actions
        • Set Vash_Location = (Position of (Triggering unit))
        • Unit - Create 1 dummy caster Angel for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at Vash_Location facing Default building facing degrees
        • Unit - Set level of Angel Arm for (Last created unit) to (Level of Angel Arm for (Triggering unit))
        • Set Vash_Location = (Target point of ability being cast)
        • Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Orc Tauren Chieftain - Shockwave Vash_Location
        • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_Vash_Location)

I don't see what could be wrong with me! lol

20. -Nosferatu-

-Nosferatu-

Resources:
    Resources:
    OK i got new idea: see if cast range of ure dummy ability is equal or greater that cast range of real ability. This can sometimes cause bug