1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The Secrets of Warcraft 3 have revealed interesting works. The RESULTS for Abelhawk's Mini-Mapping Contest #15 have come out!
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Night Rider gained several songs for his journey. The poll for the 12th Music Contest has started. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  10. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

[GUI] Setting Spell damage based on ability levels (The better way)

Discussion in '"Graveyard"' started by [E]clipse, Oct 24, 2015.

1. [E]clipse

[E]clipse

Resources:
    Resources:
    How do I delete this

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
  2. Flux

Flux

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Instead of putting those variables in the 'Start Effect of Ability' trigger, why not put it in the Configurable Trigger because if you did not, those variables will be set everytime the spell is casted.

In your last trigger, it should be Craftin_Damage[4] = 1000

I'm not sure if this is the better way, but it does the job when the spell damage has no pattern. Something the other method can't (unless you will use some sort of Regression Technique).

I think the content of the tutorial is a pretty common knowledge already. But it can still be useful to some.

Remove your signature in the tutorial post.

3. [E]clipse

[E]clipse

Resources:
    Resources:
    @ Flux, thanks for pointing those out. Done

4. Daffa the Mage

Daffa the Mage

Map Moderator

Resources:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    Common knowledge? Yeah, but I can see a lot of spells in Spells section still doesn't use this basic stuff (some of those needs fix ones). This is useful.

However, I can see that either your WE is not english, or you doesn't copy and paste those triggers properly. They look like they're merged into one line which is ugly.

You also use different variable for Caster, it can cause a helluva of confusion. There are also messes in first example.

5. Flux

Flux

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Maybe common knowledge is not the best term. What I mean is the content of the tutorial is something you can think/discover on your own. But as I mentioned earlier, it can still be useful to some people.

6. [E]clipse

[E]clipse

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thanks for the feed back I'll change that stuff as soon as I can.

7. pick-a-chew

pick-a-chew

Resources:
    Icons:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    This tutorial is very basic. You could extend it to using other aspects of spells which you also want to scale with level, such as area and duration.

Probably just preference, but i usually create a Real variable which is also the ability level, because it's easier/quicker to use this to calculate damage/area etc. than an integer, especially when you use low decimal values (where using an integer for the maths will not end well :p).

I could be a total noob at triggering, but why bother putting the casting and target units in variables? I thought those ones didn't leak.

8. Bribe

Bribe

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    The triggers were written out and have no indentation and are using the wrong variable names in some places. Build your tutorial in Trigger Editor, then see the tutorial in my sig: how to post triggers.

9. [E]clipse

[E]clipse

Resources:
    Resources:
    @Bribe, thanks for feedback, I'll correct it

10. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Actually this is explaining how to take usage of array variables with an example based on damage in spells.

11. [E]clipse

[E]clipse

Resources:
    Resources:
    ^ yea.. right I realized it after finding a similar tutorial on "how to use arrays" ... :(

12. IcemanBo

IcemanBo

Resources:
    Maps:
    Spells:
    Template:
    Tutorials:
    JASS:
    Resources:
    Submission: [Setting Spell damage based on ability levels (The better way)
    Date: 21 November 2016
    Note:

Actual purpose is not clear and matching the title. The topic is actually basicly about array type variables. Graveyard.