• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Serious delete requesting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 16
We SERIOUSLY need a delete request system for maps, and possibly art now, because there are a bunch of people on this site who don't give for the foundations of this site, and have spammed tons of horrendously low-quality maps. For example, Primussucks, created some happy face with terrain squares and submitted it with 26 other pieces of trash, and thought is was funny, then ripped a ton of ton claming he made it. Then, Topen, started ripped tides of blood terrain and submitted like 6 3.6 mb versions. Considering this, even though maps may take more effort and time than rushed skins, we should try to enforce the rules tighter on resource-related thing.

Level 12
Dear lord I've noticed it too. They all still say beta and hardly anything is really good about them. I mean the least the people could do is update their maps or at least tell us about their progress. And the majority of the maps I've seen is just to impress their terraning skills (or so they think or maybe I think).

Level 13
Well I geusse this matter should be taken in consideration but how could we prevent a poblem like this occuring.

there is a way but it's anoying, every time a map is being posted it needs to get an approval by one of the site admins.
that is a start but admins would have to do an awful lot of more work than they are currently already are doing.

An other suggestion is: A special button where maps can be reported as violated, ripp-ofs maps or maps that are not made with care, and if the site admins check these maps that are given there, they can easily remove them and.

Hope this is to any use of profit

greets
/Warnicro/

Level 5
Okey.

This may sound bit strange but okey. Why not gie some pretty good members some mad powers :?

Like give people who are here alot the ability to delete junk except need darky to make this happen. To put more detail into it. Make an user group of members who dont have the same abilities, llike locking,deleting posts, as a moderator and so on. But can delete crap. They can delete maps and art.

Make easiar for admins or mods
Theres to many maps that are the same pretty much and alot of maps that are useless. Terrain Maps are nice an all but that sorta belongs at warcraft III Campaign art section which is mostly terain maps I believe.

Level 6
How about a system that automatically moves all resources with 2.5 or less rating to a "trash heap" (a separate category that does not show up normally). This way all people would contribute to the deletion of bad stuff. All trash resources that would gain more than 2.5 rating would be moved back to "normal stuff".

Actually this should be very easy to implement. Just add to the SQL query an extra term "Rating > 2.5" for normal maps and "Rating =< 2.5" for "trash heap". Unrated resources would stay in the normal stuff category. What do you say?

Also, the number of votes needed to get a rating could be lowered to 3, to ease trash deletion.

Level 5
DELETE REQUEST FOR ART? I THINK ITS FINE, ELFWARFARE IS FAIRLY ACTIVE, SO NO WORRIES. MAPS? WELL PUT MORE MODERATORS!!!!!! BUT ON OTHER HAND, SINCE A LOT OF MAPS GET SUBMITTED, IT WOULD BE GOOD TO HAVE SUCH A SYSTEM YEAH. BUT BE SURE THERE WONT BE A DECREASE OF MEMBER ACTIVITY IN THAT SECTION SINCE ITS A VERY IMPORTANT CHUNK OF WC3SEARCH.

THERE IS NO NEEDS TO GET MORE DELETION IN ART SECTION, SINCE ITS EXACTLY THE PLACE WHERE WE HAVE A BIG LACK OF SUBMISSION. NOT ENOUGH PERSONS FEELS SAFE OR CONFIDENT ENOUGH TO SUBMIT THEIR DRAWINGS. INCREASE THE TOLERENCE IN THAT SECTION, AND DELETE ONLY WHAT IS REALLY UNSUITABLE ( FLAMING TOWARDS ANOTHER MEMBER ( I MEAN REAL FLAMING, NOT JUST " HE TENDS TO POST A LOT" , WTF THAT'S NOT FLAMING, THAT'S ONLY POINTING OUT A FACT) , SCREENSHOT FROM YOUR TERRAINING, OR PICTURES THAT AREN'T MADE BY THE AUTHOR )

I HOPE YOU APPRECIATE MY OPINION.

Level 16
Like how Elfwarfare got you like all three times, twice in the art section?

I would really want to be a map mod, because I'm fairly active, then I would do a sweep through the whole section, setting aside hatred for dota (duh, I would be banned for removing all maps I presonally hated). I would then look for ripped maps, especially those by Topen, Dave.L (primussucks), and AquaFzT.

But I disagree storm, about the screenshots. Some people are really talented with terraining, because I totally maxed out like 4000 doodads in 5 hours over 16 hours terraining a kickass jungle for DrainPipe. But then again, a lot of people use screenshots in art for contests, and most of that usually turns out great. But flaming, yes.

What really sucks is oz02 gets the best of all abilities, but probably cannot modify things, let alone appoint moderators.

Last note is, most people, including the horde of noobs who hate me, would think I would abuse my power as a mod, possibly like Tiki. The same with a handful of the people, and also the opposite. In fact, we have a lot of talented people who should deserve a spot in moderator, because they are, in fact, more active and will probably help in the process. It would be awesome if we had submods this way. We could like "delete" items, but they can only actually be removed by the higher admin/moderator

Level 5
Eusira said:
. In fact, we have a lot of talented people who should deserve a spot in moderator, because they are, in fact, more active and will probably help in the process.
YEAH THATS EXACTLY ME.

Level 5
hmm

Sub mods would be good but Oz. But cant appoint mods?

Storm. You be a good mod at skinning except I have a feeling skinner population will drop.

Level 5
Re: hmm

Taroshu said:
Sub mods would be good but Oz. But cant appoint mods?

Storm. You be a good mod at skinning except I have a feeling skinner population will drop.
OF COURSE NOT, I ONLY WANT A SILVER NAME AND ABILITY TO DELETE ONE OR TWO SKINS PER WEEK.

Level 16
He quoted the entire portion of your post that's why. I see stormrider's possible good reason, but because of what he said to me to stop skinning over my air barge skin (heck, no one does those), and by the way he brutally hacks and slashes at them, there isn't much chance it will be good. Sansui and Konblade give constructive criticism, not some Desert Eagle bullet fired in a Ney York alley in the head

Level 5
ok

I meant would he made a topic after the The caps topic srry for not saying it with much detail.

Level 13
How about a system that automatically moves all resources with 2.5 or less rating to a "trash heap" (a separate category that does not show up normally). This way all people would contribute to the deletion of bad stuff. All trash resources that would gain more than 2.5 rating would be moved back to "normal stuff"

This could be to advantage, but then you might attract many downvoters to good maps, in hope that these good maps disapear as well.

Like give people who are here alot the ability to delete junk except need darky to make this happen. To put more detail into it. Make an user group of members who dont have the same abilities, llike locking,deleting posts, as a moderator and so on. But can delete crap. They can delete maps and art.

That still would take an awful lot of time to track these maps down and try to lock or delete them. (these people who would sacrifise themselves....would have no life.) :lol:

Greets
/Warnicro/

Level 12
Honestly that's still a bad thing in my case. It'll only take more space. So we just want to see maps that are/will be worth itself not some cr@**y map to show off their lame terraining skills.

Level 16
Yeah, if new moderators actually did a sweep over their section. But I would seriously want to be mod for either the skin or the maps section, because I KNOW there is at least 100 bits of 200-400 kb bits of crap, or at least want to group all these maps together for deletion for a mod

Level 22
Okay, I havent read all the post here yet but here's the deal with the map section:

WHen I became a mod, there were almost NO rules regarding maps. All Darky had posted was:

-No offenseve map preview pics
-Map must have valid name and author
-No nazi stuff

All the other numerous rules were ones that I made, rules that I felt were needed, but did not infringe on the admin's rule of the site. The responsibilites of the standards held in the map download section have all but solely belonged to me as a result. I have been very lenient with what had been allowed to be submitted, but with that, I still have deleted some 250-300 maps since I became a mod. So far my rules have been pretty much common sense stuff, i.e. delete obsolete versions of maps or submit over them, no test maps/maps that serve no real function, ect. If Darky wants me to further expand on the rules, I will be more then happy to do so. But for now, what's rules that are listed in my "map submitting" sticky in the map forum is what stands.

I feel there are sufficient mods for the maps section. I have handled the maps while Panto has covered anwering questions in the forums, and has been working well that way. I have done many sweeps and that why you will hardly find any duplicate maps or obsolete versions of maps clogging up the archive. Thanks for the appreciation.

I've generally alowed semi-low quality maps because new map makers truly need the feedback to improve. Blatent five-minute pieces of trash are another story, and I have removed many. I can be much more critical about deleting maps of low quality, but I wont do that without Darky's permission. It's his site and I have no right to make a no-pissant-quality map rule like that and start deleting away.

In short: I have not been harsh because I have not been given the go-ahead.

If there are ripped/stolen maps, report them to me immediatly and I will deal with them.
-VGsatomi

Level 2
Tommi said:
How about a system that automatically moves all resources with 2.5 or less rating to a "trash heap" (a separate category that does not show up normally). This way all people would contribute to the deletion of bad stuff. All trash resources that would gain more than 2.5 rating would be moved back to "normal stuff".

Actually this should be very easy to implement. Just add to the SQL query an extra term "Rating > 2.5" for normal maps and "Rating =< 2.5" for "trash heap". Unrated resources would stay in the normal stuff category. What do you say?

Also, the number of votes needed to get a rating could be lowered to 3, to ease trash deletion.

I 100% agree exept the down voting. Mabe you think it would be fair if we keep the people who are on the "downvoting list" form voting on the maps. Is that possible? Anyways thats what I think

Level 16
This is where it kind of comes in. It would be great if a small group of people like mappers like MrMaestro, Taurenwarrior and myself, we would have something like a delete request function. However, Satomi told me Darky's too busy abdicating us for WoW, so hence this will be difficult

That could happen, but a lot of these downvoters are either banned, or just not active. Still a good precaution

Level 12
@Satomi: And what about those that say "Map will be updated"? Surely in matter of days some simply seem to abandon their project. I always have to say to myself that the majority of so many are lazy.

Level 22
No arguement there. Just the fact that 90% of the maps here are beta and never get moved beyond those stages is a sign of that...its almost like people intentionally keep "beta" on there as an excuse for the endless bugs and imbalances, so whenever someone complains, iuts automatically responded with "its only a beta"...even though its been beta for 4 months...

But yes, A delete request function for maps would be nice...
-VGsatomi

Level 2
Well if the voting thingy doesnt work we should mabe get 1 or 2 more mods on the map section...Cause we onlyhave 3 mods on it and it has 131 pages!!! Im not saying that they are doing a bad job im saying that if we had more mods it would add up to do a better job =)

Overall: Maps > Mods

Level 22
Panto and I have been fine on handling all the maps. What is it about the map section you are dissatisfied with? Like I mentioned before, I allow semi-low quality maps to be posted because how else are begginning mappers supposed to imporive without feedback? If the rules need to be changed to alter that to "no low quality maps allowed" that has to come from darky. WHatever gets implemented, I can handle on my own, as I have been.
-VGsatomi

Level 16
That's fine, but there are a ton of clones maps, and I hope we can get those cloners to be more creative and spread a better variety of games for us to use, and keep it on track. Because people like this at worldofwar (warcraftiii.net) start like this and become map stealers. But I see every reason in it

Level 22
but there are a ton of clones maps

Problem there is I don't know who owns the original. For exmaple: AoS tri war. There are several of those, each with defferent autheor and different significant edits. If I know who made the original, I could remove the clones, but what if the original autheor gave permission to hose other autheors to make their own verions? Its very troublesom...
-VGsatomi

Level 13
This issue is getting out of hand.
Why don't you just let vgatsommi and panto make the decisions and eusira if you are not happy with the way panto and vgatsommi work than note them in private.... Btw the are the guys that take final decision so more than 'pointing it out’s what you can't do.

Peace
/Warnicro/

Level 9
I think it would be better to delete those ancient semi-low quality map but the author should not be stripped off w/ their records. It shall be noted that "maps are no longer available". In simple words, their works will just now become a celebrated hitory!

Status
Not open for further replies.