• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Secret about Internet Explorer 9

Will you look into IE 9, provided the information I have given you?

• Yes, I will check IE 9 out.

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • I might check IE 9 out.

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • No, I am loyal to Firefox.

Votes: 15 60.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Unlike some of you, I am a faithful IE user, but I am not pleased with IE 8 (although it is better than IE 7). The reason why is because my dad works at Microsoft (he is a lead-program manager in the SQL Server department), and I believe that Internet Explorer has a chance--and there is a reason why I believe that to be so.

Microsoft has known for a while that IE has been slowly going down popularity (because the majority of people out there do not know about Mozilla Firefox, although everyone who spends a decent amount of time on the internet knows), and they have decided to make a BIG change. My dad has recently told me that they are doing a complete rewrite of IE 9, and that it is going to be highly integrated into Windows 8.

I will release more information about Windows 8 when it is close to hitting RTM.

Level 15
Although I prefer Firefox and Chrome still (as they work better and are faster than IE8), I cannot help but appreciate the work Microsoft put into IE8 to make it more standards compliant (passing the Acid 2 test). As a web developer, it's nice to finally see a browser from Microsoft that renders CSS and XHTML similarly to all the others. :smile:

I'll certainly give IE9 a chance. Will I use it for my day to day browsing? Perhaps not. But any improvements Microsoft makes to IE9 will make things better for developers and users. :smile:

By the way, want to crash any version of IE? (including 8)

Create a blank HTML file, insert the following broken HTML, then open it in IE and watch the fun happening in your task manager. :wink:

Code:
<table>
<tr>
<td><div style="width:100%;height:100%"/></td>
<td>
<div>
<span style="height:100%;width:50%">></td>
<span style="height:100%;width:50%">></td>
</div>
</td>
<td><div style="width:100%;height:100%"/></td>
</tr>
</table>

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
IE9 will probably be almost fully complient to standards looking at it is the only browser lagging behind. Part of its lag however was due to people saying it was too used and so they had to lose popularity or else face lawsuites. As FF and IE are about onpar now they can go back to work on IE again as they are no longer a monopoly.

As IE9 was meant for realease a year or so ago but still is not out, I think it will actually be a major improvement.

Level 5
Non of the poll answers apply for me..

You do know, that there are other browsers than IE and FireFox, right? I have used everything by now, and I must admit that Opera is by far the best browser of all time in my opinion.
Yes, I am quite aware of that; there is:
* IE
* Chrome
* Firefox
* Safari
* Opera
* Rogue
etc.

Level 13
Opera is bugged shit. My opinion 'nuff

I rather like Mozzila Firefox...

Lol I suppose you never even tried opera...

Opera is definetly the best internet browser around and the only reason why still guys are using internet explorer or even shit like google chrome is advertisment.

Nobody cares about checking alternatives anymore -.- everybody just belives what he is told..

Although firefox is a really good browser too.

Level 10
Lol I suppose you never even tried opera...

Opera is definetly the best internet browser around and the only reason why still guys are using internet explorer or even shit like google chrome is advertisment.

Nobody cares about checking alternatives anymore -.- everybody just belives what he is told..

Although firefox is a really good browser too.

I do have used Opera. It gives me error in some random moments when I try to do action (like going to other site), to fix it I need to use "Back" button and then "Next" which is quite annoying when I make long post.

Level 13
I've used Chrome, IE, Firefox, Opera, Safari, Lunascape, Flock and SeaMonkey.

I use Chrome because of its speed.

I don't wanna disappoint you but there is nearly no difference in chromes speed and the other browsers speed (excluding IE...)

Just check out opera 10 or 10.5 pre alpha and you will see...

The only thing chrome is really good at is the javascript engine which is really fast.

chromes UI is not only fast, but in my opinion the sleekest looking of all browsers. I currently have opera, IE, Ffox, and chrome installed, but i usually use chrome. Opera is definently the most boxy of the browsers, although i have to admit its a damn good browser, aside from the looks.

If possible, pass to your father the suggestion to make IE uninstallable.
(not saying I will or wont uninstall it, but having the option...)

I don't wanna disappoint you but there is nearly no difference in chromes speed and the other browsers speed (excluding IE...)

Just check out opera 10 or 10.5 pre alpha and you will see...

The only thing chrome is really good at is the javascript engine which is really fast.

Chrome loads 20x faster than Firefox on my computer, pages load a lot faster, and the JavaScript engine, like you said, is really fast.

I've used the latest Opera. It's pretty fast. I just prefer Chrome.

Status
Not open for further replies.